Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is... but I disagree with the last paragraph. It contradicts the opening sentence.

Moyes did not have a big game mentality. As such, he'd bottle it no matter if things were in his favour or not - see the Wigan game in the FA Cup for details.

He'd have us comfortably top six with this squad, but after a decade of watching him as Everton manager I'm almost certain he wouldn't have got us in the top four.

Other than that, I agree with it. He was a pragmatic manager - in fact, he was too pragmatic in that he played things safe when he should have went for it as a way of preserving his reputation, specifically in his last few years here.

I think the key difference is in the squads. Moyes took s lot of flak for being cautious at certain grounds but you look at some of the teams he had to work with and it was a miracle we were anywhere near the top 6. Some of the strike forces we had were shocking (Stracquilarsi McFadden and Anichebe at one point).

This the poster who invented the term 'plotter' to describe a large swathe of this forum who were concerned with s manager leading us into a relegation scrap with our best ever premier league squad. He then made out he was some sort of Oracle that had proven us all wrong when Martinez didn't get relegated or fired at the end of the season, as if the board accepting mediocrity wasn't the most predictable thing ever.
Nail on head

I thought they looked fit and ok 2nd half. 1st half was just dreadful mind. Jury is out with me, but on balance, there is a sound manager there. But with some bewildering/dogmatic/stubborn issues that do get my goat.

And like some have said, we have no idea what transfer constraints he is or isnt working under.

Last year, it was reasonably common knowledge that something wasnt right behind the scenes. This year, other than the WHP "are we arnt" stuff going on, which Martinez probably isnt really that involved in, if anyone is, things should be stable. Players signing new contracts, dealing with Stones pretty well, imo, shows that.

He needs backing. I believe he will be.

Then we will see what we have in charge.

But another 45 minutes like the 1st half on Saturday, jeez.
Martinez ' still in pre season mode '.

What does that even really mean? Him and his staff are paid decent wedge to prepare this team to the best of their ability for a new season. How can we go out there on the opening day of a new season and start like we did? That's down to the manager for me as quite clearly the 2nd half saw some response....

For me at least, something isn't right. Carbon copy of last year.

What you talkin about?

You said yourself I'm GOT box office.

Plus can't wait till we sign someone and the clueless biffs put their anti Martinez banners down

Erm no I didn't mean that you were box office, I was referring to the thread in general.

The point I was making was that if you keep wailing like a demented peacock that's lost it's feathers it might not be looked upon too kindly by the powers that be.

Wouldn't disagree with that.

A striker was top priority last Summer and guile is top priority this Summer. Get it right, and he'll be given more time. Get it wrong and he's on shaky ground, which is why he's paid so well.

Assuming he gets it right, then someone else with a bit of guile will be needed next Summer, at which point Pienaar and Osman, who have been our players with quick feet and quick minds for many years, will be, at best, second string.

Sounds easy really.
It makes it easier if hard cash is handed to Martinez rather than empty promises.

I know it'll be seen as a fudge, but I really cant see how this feller can be condemned if this window slams shuts and he's spent the current amount he's spent on players so far or even a couple more million on top.

He needs to be doing permanent signings and loans to the tune of another £20M no problem to be in anyone's cross hairs.

Keep a manager on rather than let him go at the end of last season? Fine. But if you do (and you ask him to sort the problems out) dont starve him of funds, because that is completely out of order.

I think we will see spending, but it really is a poor transfer window strategy the club have put in place here this summer.

It makes it easier if hard cash is handed to Martinez rather than empty promises.

I know it'll be seen as a fudge, but I really cant see how this feller can be condemned if this window slams shuts and he's spent the current amount he's spent on players so far or even a couple more million on top.

He needs to be doing permanent signings and loans to the tune of another £20M no problem to be in anyone's cross hairs.

Keep a manager on rather than let him go at the end of last season? Fine. But if you do (and you ask him to sort the problems out) dont starve him of funds, because that is completely out of order.

I think we will see spending, but it really is a poor transfer window strategy the club have put in place here this summer.

As if there was a strategy, hahahahaha...............

This the poster who invented the term 'plotter' to describe a large swathe of this forum who were concerned with s manager leading us into a relegation scrap with our best ever premier league squad. He then made out he was some sort of Oracle that had proven us all wrong when Martinez didn't get relegated or fired at the end of the season, as if the board accepting mediocrity wasn't the most predictable thing ever.

Ha Ha.

'Large swathe".

Try "inconsequential rump".

Its a squad game...subs can change games......it wasn't our plan A but it was an option from the bench depending on the state of the game. It was a top class substitution from an astute manager

A top class substitution from an astute manager would have won us the game, you set your standards quite low, are you Bill Kenwright by any chance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back