Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carragher made an interesting question there about Coleman and Baines pushing dead high and McCarthy and Barry tucking into play in the fullback roles. He stated 'everton are the only team to do that' and asked why, but Roberto couldn't explain the benefit.

If you look at it, when Barry or McCarthy pick the ball up they have no midfield options, and that's because they should be the ones making the options but not on the ball.

I don't remember us using this tactic until the end of last season and it could arguably be a reason for our lack of play in midfield and passing it round the back because there's no options to pass to.

Come on. Not when they're 21 (last year) and playing in a poor team. Our problems are deeper than one man. Barkley is one of the only bright things around the club at the moment. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

...age didn't stop Stones putting in a performance week in week out last season. Alan Ball came here as a 21 year old and bossed games from the off. I have compared Barkley to Bobby Charlton which is some accolade if you saw that player but the lad has to do it week in week out if he really is in that class.

A game of name-calling? How grown up, can I play? Can I play? Pwease, please, PWEASE!?!?! WAAAAH [Stamps feet] It's you who's crying not me, YOU NOT ME WAAAAAAAAAHHHHH

Pathetic. He didn't get ripped apart. Just calm down with the vitriol against our very talented (some might say phenomenally talented) manager

Hehehehe

Because I don't think a manager doing sky a favour should be set upon on like that on TV.

didn't like it mate, it's not nice.

Don't get me wrong it was correct. And it proved everything I think about him but still...
You can say he was set upon but if he had of been able to answer the questions then it would have been a great platform to silence his doubters too and you probably would have been up in arms that sky were giving him soft questions.

Frankly from what I saw and I only saw the end where he talked about Barry dropping back between the CBs I was a little shocked he didn't have an answer for Carragher. It's not exactly a question he wouldn't have been expecting.

Carragher made an interesting question there about Coleman and Baines pushing dead high and McCarthy and Barry tucking into play in the fullback roles. He stated 'everton are the only team to do that' and asked why, but Roberto couldn't explain the benefit.

If you look at it, when Barry or McCarthy pick the ball up they have no midfield options, and that's because they should be the ones making the options but not on the ball.

I don't remember us using this tactic until the end of last season and it could arguably be a reason for our lack of play in midfield and passing it round the back because there's no options to pass to.

He didn't want to explain it really did he, why would he tell everyone in football what benefits he thinks the team gain by doing this.

He stonewalled as much as he could which is fair enough really.

I know the calibre of player is different, but when you look at the movement of the City players it just highlights how static we are. It also shows how constant movement can pull defenders evrywhere. Watching Everton in the last 12 months reminds of when we had Heitinga in midfield.

More movement and faster passing and our season will be a lot more successful

It's a totally valid point, whenever we play the lack of movement and play from the central areas of the pitch is lacking, and think that is down to having both Barry and McCarthy sitting too far back.

I also acquired English as a second language, I can attest that his English is outstanding for someone who learned it as an adult, he must have a very high IQ or something, because as you said, it can be pretty tough to express yourself so elaborately in a foreign language.
No one doubts his IQ.

He didn't want to explain it really did he, why would he tell everyone in football what benefits he thinks the team gain by doing this.

ha yep. i'm going to blabber out to the rest of the league what i do and why. SKY don't dare et the clown across the park from showing off his shiny tactics. ... if he has any.

I guess so, but I hadn't really put much thought into it and it does kind of explain why we're weak in final third possession.

It's a totally valid point, whenever we play the lack of movement and play from the central areas of the pitch is lacking, and think that is down to having both Barry and McCarthy sitting too far back.
Yeah should be either the CB's or the fullbacks in that position with Barry/McCarthy coming short to receive the ball as they move off but there must be a reason for using it that Roberto rightly wouldn't disclose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back