Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah should be either the CB's or the fullbacks in that position with Barry/McCarthy coming short to receive the ball as they move off but there must be a reason for using it that Roberto rightly wouldn't disclose.
It's the total lack of movement that baffles me, Cleverley is the only one you will notice that passes the ball and then moves into space looking for the ball again.

The hate coming from some of our fans is disturbing. Not wanting Martinez as our manager is one thing, but the lengths people go to make this once sound place to talk footy something like Twitter everyday.

I hope we do well this season anyway, gonna stay out of here I think.

Same her mate, couldn't have put it better myself. People making stuff up that never happened and celebrating an ex-RS over our manager. It's exactly like twitter and like you, I'm heading back to the alehouse.

I guess so, but I hadn't really put much thought into it and it does kind of explain why we're weak in final third possession.

Two of our most potent and dynamic players are our fullbacks and moving the centre midfielders back helps them get up the pitch and widen our teams options when in possession.

Carragher couldn't seemingly work that out but Martinez wasn't going to throw him a bone.

He didn't want to explain it really did he, why would he tell everyone in football what benefits he thinks the team gain by doing this.

He stonewalled as much as he could which is fair enough really.

I would be utterly amazed if the advanced scouts for other teams couldn't figure out exactly what benefits Everton receive from the tactic in about two minutes. There are no secrets.

Coming up with an appropriate counter is where skill comes into the equation.

I would be utterly amazed if the advanced scouts for other teams couldn't figure out exactly what benefits Everton receive from the tactic in about two minutes. There are no secrets.

Coming up with an appropriate counter is where skill comes into the equation.

Carragher couldn't figure it out.

You can say he was set upon but if he had of been able to answer the questions then it would have been a great platform to silence his doubters too and you probably would have been up in arms that sky were giving him soft questions.

Frankly from what I saw and I only saw the end where he talked about Barry dropping back between the CBs I was a little shocked he didn't have an answer for Carragher. It's not exactly a question he wouldn't have been expecting.

If he new the answer and problems we wouldn't be the mess wev been for 12 months. On the other hand he may not want to give his tactical ideas away to everyone else. (Right or wrong)

Look, I'm not defending the man. IMO he's an average manger and I want him replaced or him to prove me wrong very quickly and us start looking like the team we should be with the players at his disposable.

My point being I didn't like what sky did to him. Left him in a very awkward somewhat unfair posistion.

Two of our most potent and dynamic players are our fullbacks and moving the centre midfielders back helps them get up the pitch and widen our teams options when in possession.

Carragher couldn't seemingly work that out but Martinez wasn't going to throw him a bone.
But the problem is we have no players in the middle. So teams know they just have to force us to each wing were they can then press us until we lose the ball.

In the past when teams didn't know what we were doing one of the midfielders probably got pulled out of position going with Barry or McCarthy and that made more room for Barkley but now they recognize that Barkley is a danger man so they don't.

I'm not totally convinced we need to change manager. Martinez is stubborn but not stupid and I also like him. I like what he's trying to do with the youth teams. I like that we are trying to play that kind of football. I just wish he would change it.

But the issue is, when the DM's drop back to pick the ball up where the full backs would be, the sole responsibility of picking the ball up relies on the CAM.

Our wingers play really high up the pitch, almost to the extent of playing as second and third strikers so we barely ever construct meaningful passing in the final third. So I personally don't see how the tactic works, especially when we see completely devoid of width since last christmas.

If he new the answer and problems we wouldn't be the mess wev been for 12 months. On the other hand he may not want to give his tactical ideas away to everyone else. (Right or wrong)

Look, I'm not defending the man. IMO he's an average manger and I want him replaced or him to prove me wrong very quickly and us start looking like the team we should be with the players at his disposable.

My point being I didn't like what sky did to him. Left him in a very awkward somewhat unfair posistion.
From a purely selfish position as a fan I liked it because it's finally been highlighted as an issue in the media and might force him to change it sooner rather than later.

But the issue is, when the DM's drop back to pick the ball up where the full backs would be, the sole responsibility of picking the ball up relies on the CAM.

Our wingers play really high up the pitch, almost to the extent of playing as second and third strikers so we barely ever construct meaningful passing in the final third. So I personally don't see how the tactic works, especially when we see completely devoid of width since last christmas.
Our player on the left, Cleverly drops back to play as another centre midfielder. It's only Mirallas or Deulofeu that stay up.

Which is why he never and will never play Mirallas and Deulofeu together unless he changes tactics. He never played them together at all during pre-season when Deulofeu was fit and very rarely in Deulofeu's first season. I know I was watching for it and also ridiculed for saying it.

The problem is everyone knows that's what he does. There was an article on Bleacher Report about it. I posted it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back