Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, there must some benefit because it gave us an advantage two years ago.

If other managers have now worked it out, what exactly is it that they do to counter it? In turn, we should be able to take advantage of the steps that they have taken.

And yet something has gone wrong - clubs can counter our plan and we find it almost impossible to pass the ball forward. We need a new plan.

Well, there must some benefit because it gave us an advantage two years ago.

If other managers have now worked it out, what exactly is it that they do to counter it? In turn, we should be able to take advantage of the steps that they have taken.

And yet something has gone wrong - clubs can counter our plan and we find it almost impossible to pass the ball forward. We need a new plan.
I think their right back pushes up to our left back and their right winger drops back into our midfield. This means there's less space than normal for us to play through the lines. Now Barkley and Cleverly are both surrounded every time they get the ball with no sideways options meaning we keep having to play back.

I see Lennon is on his way. Not surprising given the fume today. I don't know if Lennon was a backup or he was always the target and not Shaqiri but at least maybe we might play with two wingers once he joins.

It won't be a complete change to our tactics but at least it will improve us. We still should have bought Shaqiri and built the team around him and Ross in the 10 and 8 roles respectively.

I think their right back pushes up to our left back and their right winger drops back into our midfield. This means there's less space than normal for us to play through the lines. Now Barkley and Cleverly are both surrounded every time they get the ball with no sideways options meaning we keep having to play back.

I see Lennon is on his way. Not surprising given the fume today. I don't know if Lennon was a backup or he was always the target and not Shaqiri but at least maybe we might play with two wingers once he joins.

It won't be a complete change to our tactics but at least it will improve us. We still should have bought Shaqiri and built the team around him and Ross in the 10 and 8 roles respectively.

And, of course, we play the ball so slowly from side that the opposition have time to mark our players.

But if their full backs are pushing up, they must be leaving space behind them. The challenge is how to exploit that space.

I think Lennon's industry and awareness would help us in both attack and defence. Mirallas, Deulefeu, McGeady and Barkley are not natural defenders!

Where did that come from? BTW do not think signing him will solve the problems.

And, of course, we play the ball so slowly from side that the opposition have time to mark our players.

But if their full backs are pushing up, they must be leaving space behind them. The challenge is how to exploit that space.

I think Lennon's industry and awareness would help us in both attack and defence. Mirallas, Deulefeu, McGeady and Barkley are not natural defenders!
Unfortunately I said after Payet went to West Ham that it was probably always going to be Lennon. It would explain why we were only interested in a loan for Shaqiri if that was true.

I just don't understand why he kept going on about a No 10 if he never had any intention of signing one or at the very least they weren't a priority.

If he has talked about a No10 as the most important signing and then doesn't get one there will be no excuses. He can't blame the board if he brings in players just not the ones we need.

@davek will you still support him if he doesn't bring in a No10?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back