Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deulofeu as a no.10? Not sure about that. He's not much of a passer. We need a David Silva type player.
He's better at playing through balls than the rest of our team. Check out his assist to Naismith in the Capital One Cup against Fulham.

At 0.34.

The problem if you like to call it that is that he's direct. He will pass if something is on that will move the team forward but he runs himself down blind alleys rather than passing back when there's nothing on. It's a maturity thing which will improve with age. It's also less likely to happen if he's played down the middle.

I admit it's a risk because he's so young and inexperienced which is why I would have preferred Shaqiri but I would like to see it tried.

He's better at playing through balls than the rest of our team. Check out his assist to Naismith in the Capital One Cup against Fulham.

At 0.34.

The problem if you like to call it that is that he's direct. He will pass if something is on that will move the team forward but he runs himself down blind alleys rather than passing back when there's nothing on. It's a maturity thing which will improve with age. It's also less likely to happen if he's played down the middle.

I admit it's a risk because he's so young and inexperienced which is why I would have preferred Shaqiri but I would like to see it tried.

To be fair after watching that video I see your point. It could actually work. I doubt Martinez is planning this though. On a side note I much prefer those types of videos (like the one I posted in the Barkley thread) of players rather than the usual goals and skills videos.

I've just saw them go over our game on MNF. I didn't think Carragher was out of line in any way. It seemed pretty friendly and Martinez was full of his normal platitudes not wanting to give anything away.

I still like Martinez. I really hope he gets his No 10 and he changes his tactics a little so that he mixes up when to drop our holding midfield back and when not to. This would keep teams guessing and we would kick on this season. Ironically the mixing up by playing more long balls while it is changing tactics which is a good thing it's not what I want to see. I just want us to vary how we use the "Barry" role so we aren't flooding the midfield by bringing our left winger inside.

If he doesn't get a new No 10 I hope he plays Deulofeu there. I've said it before but a lineup of.

Lukaku
Mirallas Deulofeu Lennon
McCarthy Barkley
Baines Jags Stones Coleman
Howard​

Would in my opinion be some team that would do serious damage. Deulofeu has all the ability in the world and could be world class in that position.
Del isn't a playmaker darling. Said it before said it again. And you've managed to shoehorn a formation into the Martinez thread :coffee:. Get in

I like what Carragher said on Monday Night Football with Martinez. Fans should get off of Barkley's back and that Stones should stay to develop. I thought Martinez was reluctant to give any tactics away when reviewing clips and also when reviewing how to set up against Man City. I feel as if he shouldn't be doing punditry when the team is in the state that it's in.

No brainer if you ask me.

He shouldn't be anywhere near a pundit's studio.

To be fair after watching that video I see your point. It could actually work. I doubt Martinez is planning this though. On a side note I much prefer those types of videos (like the one I posted in the Barkley thread) of players rather than the usual goals and skills videos.
Me too - I like those videos more myself. There's actually loads of examples of Deulofeu playing through balls on youTube. I thought that was just a particularly good one.

Yes very true, maybe he wasn't expecting such a dissection of his tactics.

Or maybe he really is that clueless he doesn't see the problem. You can shout all you want about the arrival of this magical No10 but end of the day he won't solve either of those 2 glaring problems carragher brought up with him.

I am thinking he was drafted in at short notice.

Neville Neville died the other day so I suppose Gary and Phil have flown out to Australia to comfort their mother.

RIP Neville Neville.

At 0.34.

You're a top class tube.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back