Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...ngry-as-chelsea-prepare-new-bid-10449324.html

This could also be posted in the John Stones thread but I'm more concerned about Martinez's comments.

"The window, when it's open and you have to prepare official games, is very, very unfair. I don't think it's right," said Martinez.

"I think we should be just having a period where you can assemble your squad, then once the first league game starts, everyone is focused."

Surely he realises that if the transfer window ended before the season starts we'd only have signed Deulofeu & Cleverley?
utter tosh, he'd have still brought our last day of the window additions on the last day of the window and we'd have had them before the games started.
You can't hoover up the last minute bargains until the last minute.

No mate, deadline day would be before the first game of the season so we would almost certainly have signed more players by now.

Deadline should definitely be before the first game of the season. Is there any legitimate reason for it to extend into the start of the season?

Don't know how I missed that, ta. I think there is a degree of hypocrisy, he's not raised any objection in season's past, but regardless I do think that it would be better if Bobby stayed quiet on the Stones situation.

But he has mate...
Said basically exactly the same thing last time around, that the window shouldn't be open when football is being played.

As per Roberto Martinez, 2013
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...ow-as-Manchester-United-eye-midfield-duo.html
Martinez said: “It is getting a little bit too much at the moment. I think it’s not just here, up and down the league in every dressing room you get these sort of stories and I think we need to do something.

“I think we need to protect the league, we need to protect the players – it’s very, very unfair for the players.

“I think we need to be respectful to the fans. We need to try to stop all this transfer window business when the games are going on.”

As per Roberto Martinez, 2013
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...ow-as-Manchester-United-eye-midfield-duo.html
Martinez said: “It is getting a little bit too much at the moment. I think it’s not just here, up and down the league in every dressing room you get these sort of stories and I think we need to do something.

“I think we need to protect the league, we need to protect the players – it’s very, very unfair for the players.

“I think we need to be respectful to the fans. We need to try to stop all this transfer window business when the games are going on.”

I recall him saying this before as-well.

Deadline should definitely be before the first game of the season. Is there any legitimate reason for it to extend into the start of the season?
is it not that the seasons in other countries haven't started yet so they try to standardise windows at the same point to avoid confusion?
Every league would have it's own window dates making it pretty difficult to buy someone from a different country if they don't align with yours for any prolonged period.
It's a comprimise, the window for us doesn't start until nearly a month after the end of the season remember.

Part of the problem wiht the transfer window being open after the season begins is that it cup-ties players. One of the dumbest things in the world, you can buy a player but not be able to register him to play in a cup tie until January because that player came on as a sub for 3 minutes at the end of a 8-1 drubbing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back