Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
To bring in last minute cover for injuries?

To tweak sides that have started badly?

To be honest I think Martinez has a valid point.
Yep these are both good, valid reasons for extending the window past the first few games. I also get where Martinez is coming from in that it makes things difficult for clubs with less power in the transfer market.

To bring in last minute cover for injuries?

To tweak sides that have started badly?

To be honest I think Martinez has a valid point.
The main reason for it is because almost all the rest of Europe has the same deadline.
Streamlines everything

I t is a bit hypocritical for RM to complain about the date the window closes when he himself has left his signings to the end!
It really isn't mate.
Really isn't
In his ideal scenario the window would close before the season starts so that he can fully assemble his squad and know exactly what he's working with. But because the transfer window doesn't close before the season starts, Martinez is well within his rights to utilise the whole window and try and pick up the bargain buys and players as and when they come available.
To do otherwise would be foolhardy. If he only used the current transfer window up until the start of the season we'd miss out on great opportunities.

It isn't hypocritical and in fact makes plenty of sense. Managers want to be able to have a settled side before the season starts. This 2/3 week period of games and an open transfer window makes their job harder.

You work within the rules of the game, otherwise you're an idiot not taking full advantage.
Doesn't mean you can't disagree with the way things are

It really isn't mate.
Really isn't
In his ideal scenario the window would close before the season starts so that he can fully assemble his squad and know exactly what he's working with. But because the transfer window doesn't close before the season starts, Martinez is well within his rights to utilise the whole window and try and pick up the bargain buys and players as and when they come available.
To do otherwise would be foolhardy. If he only used the current transfer window up until the start of the season we'd miss out on great opportunities.

It isn't hypocritical and in fact makes plenty of sense. Managers want to be able to have a settled side before the season starts. This 2/3 week period of games and an open transfer window makes their job harder.

You work within the rules of the game, otherwise you're an idiot not taking full advantage.
Doesn't mean you can't disagree with the way things are

I agree with you just pointing out about complaining but he takes advantage of it. It is a bit two faced. If he has such principles why does he not abide by them and set an example?

I agree with you just pointing out about complaining but he takes advantage of it. It is a bit two faced. If he has such principles why does he not abide by them and set an example?
Because we can't financially afford to?

We'd also be stupid to not take full opportunity of the current system, even if that means compromising somewhat on a moral standpoint.
It isn't two faced, I can stand here and say I don't like the way the club is run but I'll still support Everton.
The two aren't mutually exclusive, I don't like something but it's the way it is so I may as well work with what is available.

I posted this in the tfr thread, but applies to this as well.

Shaqiri has shown how the tfr window works. He took a month to decide to go to Stoke, all the while waiting for better offers to become available.

Any player capable of improving our side, is also capable of improving Spurs, Stoke, Arsenal etc. So if we move for them now, the agents will advise the players to sit it out and see if they can get a better deal (happened so many times before to Everton). This is why most deals are done on deadline day, because they don't have as much time to hawk them around different clubs. So clubs may only be in negotiations with one club for a player. Fingers crossed Everton have their sights on some young talent who will become a star and are just waiting to rush it through at the last minute so we don't get pipped to the post.

There is a book about some guy following Hellas Verona around and when he interviews the Chairman he basically tells him that strategy. This is why in most years Madrid, Barca do their business, then Utd, City, Arsenal etc. and then us and the likes. This Summer has been mad because Utd, City, Chelsea and Arsenal still haven't finished.

With the money in the Premiership at an all time high, there really aren't enough quality players to go around everyone. So you have to be smart and not get in to a battle with someone like Arsenal for a player.

Martinez needs to buy Xmas presents. Martinez loves the January sales. Martinez wishes the January sales were before Xmas as he wants to get fantastic things but not pay full price. Martinez tells people he wishes the January sales were before Xmas and everyone kicks off because he never got them a prezzie and wants them to wait till the January sales when the alternative was buying a bunch of crap for full price.

Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back