Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your right mate - more about containment then actually having a go..Naismith and Cleverley as wingers underlines the point. Their back 4 if harried make mistakes, we never got close and that is down to tactics. Full house in what is a free game but we lie down and got what we deserved.
We had a decent go at a team bristling with talent and on fire at the moment.

I think most reasonable people have accepted that.

If we would've gone after them in earnest, they would have destroyed us.

Citeh on their day are one of the best offensive sides in the world. Only so much can be done, especially when you're on your 5th string LB.
Just to go at them would have been something - I mean 2 shots. You can't defend that.

We;d have all taken 4 points from the first three games at the beginning of the season.

If we get over a point per game for the first 10 games and get those nightmare run of fixtures out of the way we'll be on schedule for a decent season.

At this point in 13/14 we had 3 points from the likes of Norwich, Cardiff, and West Brom. We should've beaten Watford, but I'll take where we're at now.

Just to go at them would have been something - I mean 2 shots. You can't defend that.

That's cherry picking a bit there. We had 10 shots, a good number of them just barely off target. The 2nd half offensively for us was woeful, but we had a few good looks in the 1st half.

I thought the whole attraction of martinez was that he wasn't a defeatist like this?

Martinez was at his best in 13/14 when we actually switched up the tactics against certain opponents and played counterattacking ball. He was at his worst last season when he tried to play possession verse everybody, damn the matchup.

So 10/11 points out of 30 is acceptable, never imo

If it was Watford home, Bournemouth away, Norwich home then no.

I'm not a Martinez fan and obviously want 9 points, but realistically I think it's fair enough to say 4 points was the acceptable minimum. I was expecting us to get beat 3-0 by Southampton.

Martinez was at his best in 13/14 when we actually switched up the tactics against certain opponents and played counterattacking ball. He was at his worst last season when he tried to play possession verse everybody, damn the matchup.

My recollection is us going at teams and playing our game and winning at old trafford, dominating arsenal twice, giving liverpool a real scare, etc.

And everyone saying, see if we have the courage to play our game and not worry about stopping the big boys look what we can do.

And then since then we've been playing with ten men behind the ball whenever we play a top 5 team. See arsenal away and liverpool at home last year, for example.

If we would've gone after them in earnest, they would have destroyed us.

Citeh on their day are one of the best offensive sides in the world. Only so much can be done, especially when you're on your 5th string LB.
Only us eh?start the season with left backs all over the place,three weeks in we end up playing a right sided kid at left back against the champions elect:(

My recollection is us going at teams and playing our game and winning at old trafford, dominating arsenal twice, giving liverpool a real scare, etc.

And everyone saying, see if we have the courage to play our game and not worry about stopping the big boys look what we can do.

And then since then we've been playing with ten men behind the ball whenever we play a top 5 team. See arsenal away and liverpool at home last year, for example.
Yep, don't know what happened to Martinez close season before last. Like he'd spent all summer at a Barrymore/Kenwright swimming pool party and his arse had gone

Like groundhog day, every single defeat indiscriminately has to become a tribunal of the manager. Jesus wept.

It's the frustration of it though, I honestly think we could of got a result today because city weren't that good tbh but it was a bit same old same old in the end

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back