Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just hope he's allowed to bring in the quality we need to make this season feasible as a tilt at the Euro places.

Over to you Kenwright and co.
Which of our current squad have become worse players in the past 24 months? I ask becuase of all posters you have rambled on (led Zeppelin) more than most about 13/14 and now you are saying that it will take Kenwright and Co to help get us fighting for Europe. Which to an extent I agree with but are you honestly saying that we dont have a squad, as things stand that cant aim for europe?

I just hope you're not currently covering all bases.

IMHO this team is more than capable of competeing with Liverpool, Spurs and Swansea for places 5 through 7

I know you never like to set Martinez targets because it may have a come back but FFS do not say that this current squad as things stand can't comptete for top 7 whilst lavishing masses of praise upon Martinez for what he did (with this squad BTW) 2 years ago

Not really much to say apart from we've been getting had off by decent teams for years, nothing new today. The result went the way anybody with a decent knowledge of football would expect. There were a few things Martinez could be criticised about but almost nothing to suggest if he'd have done it differently we would have won. City turned up and that made it very difficult from the off for us.

Oh and the old thread name was well better.

My recollection is us going at teams and playing our game and winning at old trafford, dominating arsenal twice, giving liverpool a real scare, etc.

And everyone saying, see if we have the courage to play our game and not worry about stopping the big boys look what we can do.

And then since then we've been playing with ten men behind the ball whenever we play a top 5 team. See arsenal away and liverpool at home last year, for example.

Losing to Chelsea 6-3 changed a little bit of his philosophy, or at least severly dented his confidence.

You'd think such a principled philosopher would have delighted in showing Naismith the door at the earliest opportunity.

Which of our current squad have become worse players in the past 24 months? I ask becuase of all posters you have rambled on (led Zeppelin) more than most about 13/14 and now you are saying that it will take Kenwright and Co to help get us fighting for Europe. Which to an extent I agree with but are you honestly saying that we dont have a squad, as things stand that cant aim for europe?

I just hope you're not currently covering all bases.

IMHO this team is more than capable of competeing with Liverpool, Spurs and Swansea for places 5 through 7

I know you never like to set Martinez targets because it may have a come back but FFS do not say that this current squad as things stand can't comptete for top 7 whilst lavishing masses of praise upon Martinez for what he did (with this squad BTW) 2 years ago

Competing for the European places should be the expectation. Any defence of languishing around the lower reaches of mid table shouldn't be taken seriously as it's clearly agenda driven tosh.

Competing for the European places should be the expectation. Any defence of languishing around the lower reaches of mid table shouldn't be taken seriously as it's clearly agenda driven tosh.
Word. No surprises @davek didn't have anywhere near the bottle to answer. Easier for him to deflect.

Losing to Chelsea 6-3 changed a little bit of his philosophy, or at least severly dented his confidence.

He is very cautious in the games against the bigger teams, even at Goodison which surprises me because I really think there's an opportunity for us to get at pretty much anyone.

I remember how much we were vilified for our record against the big teams for a long time but nothing has changed under Martinez. We could really do with a result against Spurs next week to address that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back