Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
He will though: not financial backing, but time backing. They wont want to change managers. RM is a safe pair of hands. They know he can get his team to win games. They merely want to stay in the PL. That's it. Full stop. Change to someone else and they are into the unknown. They dont want that.

100% guaranteed: RM's job is safe for as long as he wants it.

Correct, Moyes would more than likely still be in charge because he tows the line they want.

Correct, Moyes would more than likely still be in charge because he tows the line they want.

I'm not convinced.

I mean yes the board don't care about trophies or actual success. And yes they gave moyes two seasons in the bottom half but we were alright under moyes. Not good enough, by any means, but top 7 and top 8, winning most of our home games, alright.

I think martinez will get eternity if we finish about 8th every year. But I don't think he'll get time if we finish 15th a couple of times instead, simply, because that exposes the board to fan criticism that gets dulled when we win a few games.

Mind I still think we'll finish 6th this year and martinez will go on to win us a trophy. But he's not got a job for life, imo. Just a job for as long as we're a top half team.

Ultimately whatever he builds, he is still the man selecting Tim Howard. We could have 7 points this season if he'd have got in a top keeper. The performances have undoubtedly improved from last season but the goalkeeping position and creativity in midfield has not been addressed so we will continue to fail in exactly the same way.

Ultimately whatever he builds, he is still the man selecting Tim Howard. We could have 7 points this season if he'd have got in a top keeper. The performances have undoubtedly improved from last season but the goalkeeping position and creativity in midfield has not been addressed so we will continue to fail in exactly the same way.
Howard was fantastic today...

I'm not convinced.

I mean yes the board don't care about trophies or actual success. And yes they gave moyes two seasons in the bottom half but we were alright under moyes. Not good enough, by any means, but top 7 and top 8, winning most of our home games, alright.

I think martinez will get eternity if we finish about 8th every year. But I don't think he'll get time if we finish 15th a couple of times instead, simply, because that exposes the board to fan criticism that gets dulled when we win a few games.

Mind I still think we'll finish 6th this year and martinez will go on to win us a trophy. But he's not got a job for life, imo. Just a job for as long as we're a top half team.

Sometimes I think, it's better to feel a short term pain to get rid of this board and suffer a really bad season and gamble on potential new owners doing a better job.

Why is it 'Wumming' to defend an Everton manager? It's called loyalty. Maybe you should familiarise yourself with the concept rather than to enjoy stabbing an Everton manager in the back?

Funny this thread. Last week we won and it was a ghost town...slipped off into page 3/4.

First defeat of the season to a billion pound assembled team and the usual suspects are bumping it to the top of the forum desperate to make it a managerial issue.

As said to your comrade: you need to settle down for another three seasons.

I think we're probably at about the stage that Arsenal were before they spent big on Ozil. Roberto has admitted that a playmaker is pretty much the final piece of the jigsaw but those players are hard to come by. Maybe Yarmolenko is the answer?

So, personnel-wise we don't really need to do too much and it's a matter of trying to develop a bit more strength in depth. Hence why we don't need to spend millions of pounds each window. If we had a striker who was content to play second fiddle to Lukaku for the most part but could come off the bench and turn tight games for us then we'd be even closer to the top teams. Again, whereas the elite sides can afford to have Falcao, Dzeko, Walcott, Hernandez etc on the bench and the player accepts that situation, we'd probably have to be a bit more creative.

Very often against the top sides it's a question of fine margins and usually we shoot ourselves in the foot or we're undone by a piece of brilliance. We're a young side and hopefully concentration and consistency will come with experience.

Those saying 'I can't be doing with another season of his boring football' (or words to that effect) need to pipe down.

We played better today than we did in half of our wins last season. Oh, and we've only played 3 games. Take your anti-Martinez specs off when watching/reviewing our games and you might be surprised that we have been playing some half decent togger.

At diving out of the way of shots and getting lobbed in the 6 yard box
Yeah the game would have been well put to bed had he not made a lot of good saves, including one to the chin!
If your defense and midfield don't limit the amount of chances created by the opposition, it's only a matter of time before those chances turn to goals if your keeper isn't protected.

I'm a genius i know.

Why is it 'Wumming' to defend an Everton manager? It's called loyalty. Maybe you should familiarise yourself with the concept rather than to enjoy stabbing an Everton manager in the back?

Funny this thread. Last week we won and it was a ghost town...slipped off into page 3/4.

First defeat of the season to a billion pound assembled team and the usual suspects are bumping it to the top of the forum desperate to make it a managerial issue.

As said to your comrade: you need to settle down for another three seasons.
Believe me I don't enjoy wanting Martinez out, I wish it had of worked out but he isn't good enough.

Would you be loyal to Walter Smith?

There are only so many poor tactics/displays a person can deal with.

Still didn't answer my question about how he could improve though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back