Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
It really does seem that way.
Saddening.
We weren't that bad and were up against a team in very good nick with some magic players.

Silva was unplayable.

Subs were questionable but Galloway going off will have affected that too.

Del was utter dirge when he came on for that 5min period, I could have taken better touches than he did, some of the worst touches I've seen from a pro footballer.

Saddening.
We weren't that bad and were up against a team in very good nick with some magic players.

Silva was unplayable.

Subs were questionable but Galloway going off will have affected that too.

Del was utter dirge when he came on for that 5min period, I could have taken better touches than he did, some of the worst touches I've seen from a pro footballer.

The only two things that bothered me were Howard being Howard, and Belgian McToythrower not coming on the field. But we set up well, played well and ended up getting beaten by a good City side. We certainly won't be the last team to do so.

Leicester shown how to play against Spurs, play with pace on the wings and press them into making mistakes.

Sadly these 2 things are lacking in Martinez's set up, if we go to WHL Saturday and persist with no winger in the side and our players standing off the opposition we won't get anything.

I really want Martinez to go back to that bold manager who played with pace and power, 2 wingers in the side and bold substitutions, even the set up against the top sides going out there for 3 points, not doing a moyes and playing for a point at home with the hope of nicking a 1-0 win

This will cost us this season. Man City players had all the time in the world to pick a pass or move forward without resistance. We should be only giving them a second or two on the ball and make them rush the passes but we allowed time which in affect allowed time for the off the ball players to take up position to receive. We used to be well known for the in your face football and closing down. Its something we need to get back asap or we will struggle. Man City were excellent at closing us down yesterday.

One of the most respected managers in the game.

Hard to use tactics against a billion pound team bang in form...especially when you have a tool of a goalie determined to wave the ball into the net for them.

No he's not Dave come on haha....

Regardless of score today against let's not forget a VERY good team. And the poor subs he made, I've been a lot happier with RM last few games. He's clearly changed his tactics a little and given the players the freedom to abandon or choose when and when not to play his Tika taka rubbish. That for me is a massive step in the right direction.

Ref Howard : He saved us from being 3 down before his poor positioning for that opening goal.....He even saved a certain goal with his face ffs (the funniest thing I've ever seen btw ha)

Regardless of score today against let's not forget a VERY good team. And the poor subs he made, I've been a lot happier with RM last few games. He's clearly changed his tactics a little and given the players the freedom to abandon or choose when and when not to play his Tika taka rubbish. That for me is a massive step in the right direction.

Ref Howard : He saved us from being 3 down before his poor positioning for that opening goal.....He even saved a certain goal with his face ffs (the funniest thing I've ever seen btw ha)

Didn't see you posting after the Southampton win.

Usual suspects in here again.

No personal insults thanks
Didn't see you posting after the Southampton win.

Usual suspects in here again.

Nah, I thought I'd come in here after a defeat and praise him, as that's perfect for my agenda.

Your such a weapon!!

Pretty sure you'll find I've been nothing but positive of RM so far this season since he's showed clear change

Last edited:

Regular saves that is all. The one he saved with his face is because he had his angles covered and stood his ground. He didn't for the 1st goal.

i don't think we were ever going to score today tbh. unless you're on about 2 points dropped v watford.

Yeah, the second goal conceded v Watford was awful from Howard. Of course we might not have scored again but we were in the ascendency. Yesterday would have been 0-0 without his gaffe. 7 points from three games after not playing especially well. That's what sides like Liverpool and United do. Sides like Everton will remain in mid table whilst we continue to employ s championship level goalkeeper who was statistically the worst in the league last year.

Regular saves that is all. The one he saved with his face is because he had his angles covered and stood his ground. He didn't for the 1st goal.

There not regular saves. He makes many a fantastic save that other keepers would not make. The down side is he does things like what lead to the first goal!

If he did both things correctly though, truth is he'd be world class and not playing for us.

Yeah, the second goal conceded v Watford was awful from Howard. Of course we might not have scored again but we were in the ascendency. Yesterday would have been 0-0 without his gaffe. 7 points from three games after not playing especially well. That's what sides like Liverpool and United do. Sides like Everton will remain in mid table whilst we continue to employ s championship level goalkeeper who was statistically the worst in the league last year.

Jeez.....yesterday would NOT of been 0-0 without his gafe haha......and the watford 2nd goal was largely down to Stones!!

In no way am I a fan of Tim Howard.
I think it's our weakest position at the moment. But blaming him for our defeat yesterday and the draw with Watford isn't correct.
City found themselves clear in on goal on numerous occasions because they just waltzed through our defence and were left with just Howard to beat.
Any keeper is going to be beaten eventually if the opposition is given enough clear chances. He could have done better on both goals - but we could have also been three down at half time. He was having a blinder up until then.
Against Watford - Stones lost us 2 points.

Jeez.....yesterday would NOT of been 0-0 without his gafe haha......and the watford 2nd goal was largely down to Stones!!

Yeah Stones messed up v Watford, but look at where the ball ended up. A slow shot just left of centre of the goal but Howard at full stretch couldn't get it?! His positioning was all wrong, he ran out like a fool behind Stones so that when the Watford player checked back inside he had the whole net to aim at.

The logic for Howard's apologists is 'well the defence let teams take shots at him so eventually one will go in'. This is ridiculous. No defense can shield their keeper completely for 90 mins against a team like City. Our defense did ok (LB position aside) but were let down again by their keeper.

Tbf, mate, I read stuff like this and know you dont have too much of a clue about the football you're watching.

What's back is an attempt to get back to the first season's pace of movement and passing. Simply that. The fact you see this as a massive departure from Martinez's modus operandi speaks volumes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back