Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
In all fairness the passing his back and some of the play from the defence through the midfield yesterday was great. I'll disagree with the movement yesrerday though, there was not enough movement off the ball in the final third. Saying that, it was City and they got a lot of people behind the ball when we had it
Cleverley makes a big difference. Not an overly creative force, but he has energy and urgency about his game that others feed off.

We desperately need someone to come in to Everton though to kick this up a gear. If we could get someone in the way Spurs a few years back got a great season and a half out of Van der Vaart it'd be just what the doctor ordered.

It should have been wrapped up in the middle of summer.

Cleverley makes a big difference. Not an overly creative force, but he has energy and urgency about his game that others feed off.

We desperately need someone to come in to Everton though to kick this up a gear. If we could get someone in the way Spurs a few years back got a great season and a half out of Van der Vaart it'd be just what the doctor ordered.

Firstly Dave, I think it would be better if our players learned how to pass a ball better. But you are right about the summer, i said as much some where on another thread about not leaving it until the last window week.

Firstly Dave, I think it would be better if our players learned how to pass a ball better. But you are right about the summer, i said as much some where on another thread about not leaving it until the last window week.
It's about cash. No question in my mind that Martinez has been operating with one hand tied behind his back this summer. He cant move without selling a player. And this board have NO intention of sanctioning big cash signings from the tv cash that's come in - which they have ear marked for elsewhere. Slowly but surely they're killing this club.

It's about cash. No question in my mind that Martinez has been operating with one hand tied behind his back this summer. He cant move without selling a player. And this board have NO intention of sanctioning big cash signings from the tv cash that's come in - which they have ear marked for elsewhere. Slowly but surely they're killing this club.

What you say may be true Dave but because of the secrecy with the club we will never know for the foreseeable future. Perhaps if the cash is earmarked for elsewhere, ? saving for stadium?

I actually think Cleverley and Kone have improved our attacking play a lot. Even against City we were getting Barkley into good positions. What I want to see is the same level of performance v a very poor Spurs side rather than our usual WHL bottle job. If we win there then we can set up a base for the rest of the season. We need to stay in touching distance of the top 6 by new year then hope our usual strong second half will propel is on. Last two performances (the selection of Howard aside) have been miles apart from what we saw last season and at Watford.

I haven't met a single person in real life who was disappointed with us yesterday. The internet is a whole different ball game though.

I agree with you. Man City are the best team in the Premiership at the moment. You can analyse the mistakes we made and say that cost us. City were very very good, they would have beaten most teams in the league with that performance.
Realistically many of our players would get in their team, how many would even make the bench.
We are not competing with City, playing wise or financially.

Couldn't make the game yesterday so watched it on Sky.
Anyone that thinks Martinez promotes crab-like passes and pedestrian football is completely wrong.
A microphone was right next to him and for the entirety of the game he shouted "forwards, pass forwards".

Deserves far more credit than he gets does our gaffer.

I watched yesterday and I felt it was more like watching us in the first season. Not necessarily in style, but in the fact that Martinez was trying different things and they were working quite well.

Martinez is never going to be a manager who drills to banks of 4 to play the same way every week, irrespective of the opposition, like Pulis does. He brought in a lot of subtle changes on a game by game basis that seemed to work. For example this season we have counter attacked far quicker and been willing to hit longer balls forward which is a change.

Defensively yesterday we also changed things quite radically. It looked like Jagielka man Marked Aguero. Barry man Marked Silva and McCarthy man Marked Toure. Those 3 are as good as any in the league at the moment and we nullified them very well. It also allowed stones to be the free man and move forward up the pitch to start attacks.

We had almost nullified those 3 and the threat of City when they scored a goal a little out of the blue thanks in part to a mistake from Howard. I'm not going to castigate him, I actually though he had one of his best games yesterday, but he will be disappointed with that goal, but I make the point to illustrate it was a mistake that led to the goal, as opposed to a failure in the tactical changes that caused it.

This is why it reminds me of the first season. We made changes that positively impacted upon the game and could have swung it our way. Had we have tried to match them up conventionally, they'd have steamrolled us as they did Chelsea last week. So it gives me some grounds for optimism going forward.

In the end, yesterday we missed Baines. Neither Browning nor Galloway posed an attacking threat going forward. It meant they were always happy to bomb players forward without risk of a counter.

I'm not settling for 1 good performance outta 3. He has to do better. And what is his obsession with playing centre players out wide. And then subbing them with center players. He gets till Christmas with me then if he hasn't improved I'm totally joining the fume club

I actually think Cleverley and Kone have improved our attacking play a lot. Even against City we were getting Barkley into good positions. What I want to see is the same level of performance v a very poor Spurs side rather than our usual WHL bottle job. If we win there then we can set up a base for the rest of the season. We need to stay in touching distance of the top 6 by new year then hope our usual strong second half will propel is on. Last two performances (the selection of Howard aside) have been miles apart from what we saw last season and at Watford.

Absolutely this. If we can maintain that kind of form over the next few weeks with our fixtures that would set us up very well for the second half of the season. If we can perform like we did yesterday there's no reason why we can't.

I'm not settling for 1 good performance outta 3. He has to do better. And what is his obsession with playing centre players out wide. And then subbing them with center players. He gets till Christmas with me then if he hasn't improved I'm totally joining the fume club

Second half against Watford, Southampton and first half yesterday were good, with yesterdays second half being overpowered rather than being bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back