Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ultimately whatever he builds, he is still the man selecting Tim Howard. We could have 7 points this season if he'd have got in a top keeper. The performances have undoubtedly improved from last season but the goalkeeping position and creativity in midfield has not been addressed so we will continue to fail in exactly the same way.

i don't think we were ever going to score today tbh. unless you're on about 2 points dropped v watford.

He only ever seems to be 'found out' when we get beat, when we win, it goes quiet on here.
I'd say that is a common factor on most football forums though.

My issue isn't with people who want Martinez to stay, it is with Davek who will not admit any fault.

It is just unacceptable to bring Naismith on and leave Deulofeu and Mirallas sitting on the bench. That really annoyed me in the match. That was a Moyes move.

Where is the exciting Martinez? The one who threw caution to the wind and it often paid off against the better teams? He has disappeared from that first season. He has his favourites and that seems to be the case that they will start in every game no matter what now.

I'd say that is a common factor on most football forums though.

My issue isn't with people who want Martinez to stay, it is with Davek who will not admit any fault.

It is just unacceptable to bring Naismith on and leave Deulofeu and Mirallas sitting on the bench. That really annoyed me in the match. That was a Moyes move.

Where is the exciting Martinez? The one who threw caution to the wind and it often paid off against the better teams? He has disappeared from that first season. He has his favourites and that seems to be the case that they will start in every game no matter what now.

Got to admit, it pissed me off big style today bringing Naismith on when we're chasing the game.

Also, to be fair to daveK he has slated Martinez when he's deserved it.

He will though: not financial backing, but time backing. They wont want to change managers. RM is a safe pair of hands. They know he can get his team to win games. They merely want to stay in the PL. That's it. Full stop. Change to someone else and they are into the unknown. They dont want that.

100% guaranteed: RM's job is safe for as long as he wants it.

Lukaku £28m, McCarthy £13m and potentially Yarmolenko for £15m means that Roberto has been given money to spend. And he's (so far) been allowed to keep his biggest assets in the face of intense interest from other clubs.

We're not going to gamble millions of pounds but that's sound business sense. Who would make way for new signings anyway? Coleman, Stones, Jagielka, Baines, McCarthy, Barkley and Lukaku are certainly undroppable. Deulofeu will hopefully step into that bracket and Mirallas is one of our best players on his day. Howard and Barry are favourites of the manager, so that's all eleven places taken.

Martinez's 'golden generation' project really appeals to me. If we can keep picking up high-quality players under the age of 23 (Stones, Lukaku, Deulofeu) and keep bringing exciting players through the academy (Barkley, Galloway, Browning, Garbutt) and get them playing passing football, then they should all peak in about another 4 years and we can benefit from that for a number of seasons. Isn't that the Barca model?

Mirallas and Deulofeu mightn't have been fully fit - and even then, at 1-0 down I could see the thinking behind bringing Naismith on as opposed to Mirallas, for example... though I mightn't agree with it (try not to open up the right flank for them, and try to nick a goal by using someone who likes doing that in the big games).

It didn't work out and I would've rather he introduced Mirallas/Deulofeu earlier and chased the game properly, but then there's the idea that we would've totally capitulated defensively had we surrendered midfield in the name of counter-attacking and tried to weather Touré/Silva who looked like he was playing a game of tron with our defence.

I dunno, we were playing the team who've ruined football and were in a 'brilliant moment' of form - and if we'd got our way and saw more attacking potency from us it might well have meant a few more goals shipped.

Believe me I don't enjoy wanting Martinez out, I wish it had of worked out but he isn't good enough.

Would you be loyal to Walter Smith?

There are only so many poor tactics/displays a person can deal with.

Still didn't answer my question about how he could improve though.

Big Sam would keep us up.

It is just unacceptable to bring Naismith on and leave Deulofeu and Mirallas sitting on the bench.

yeah, because Del and Kev are well known for their work rate at tracking back and their defensive abilities to help Browning out. Skill was getting us nowhere towards the end, everything was coming from muscle and fighting for the ball, another two traits Kev and Del are renowned for....

We played some good stuff today when we could. City were stronger and quicker. get over it. stop whining.

Believe me I don't enjoy wanting Martinez out, I wish it had of worked out but he isn't good enough.

Would you be loyal to Walter Smith?

There are only so many poor tactics/displays a person can deal with.

Still didn't answer my question about how he could improve though.
Did that nobhead ever rack up 72 points while he was here?

No.

Next question.

We have a very talented youngish manager who is recognised as such by most people - both inside and outside the club.
I genuinely feel sorry for the handful of troubled souls who feel the need to stand out against that and make their whole everton experience a massively negative one. It must be horrible.

I don't need to post in this thread after every game. One win against a struggling Southampton side didn't automatically change my entire opinion of Martinez.

If you're going to be critical then it's only fair to give credit where credit is due.

I personally think it's OTT to be making any sort of assessment after three games. We played like crap in the first half of the Watford game...he made some great changes and we drew. We tonked Soton away. We played OK in the first half today...the second half was poor, and I think he probably could have made his changes differently. That said, the injury didn't really help the substitution options.

Anyway...moving on.

I don't think it is appropriate to be down on Bobby right now.

Oddly enough, this is the best opening three game start from him we have witnessed and I agree with those who do see a sea change in performance.

They huffed and puffed for long enough today and only for Howard gifting them two goals we would have had a point.

The two or three good saves he made notwithstanding.

this in the face of the most absurd, surreal campaign of bullying by the media over the transfer of one of our men I or any bugger else has ever witnessed.

Think how tense it had been for us......what must it be like for Bobby, having to field the daft questions these morons are door stepping him with.

I am still not convinced by Bobby but I like the long term thinking he us applying and the dignity he shows in tha face of the Stones related onslaught.

Leicester shown how to play against Spurs, play with pace on the wings and press them into making mistakes.

Sadly these 2 things are lacking in Martinez's set up, if we go to WHL Saturday and persist with no winger in the side and our players standing off the opposition we won't get anything.

I really want Martinez to go back to that bold manager who played with pace and power, 2 wingers in the side and bold substitutions, even the set up against the top sides going out there for 3 points, not doing a moyes and playing for a point at home with the hope of nicking a 1-0 win

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back