Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
It could put us in serious danger of being relegated never mind top 7.

We don't have an attack that creates a lot of chances when teams sit back and defend and if we don't have a strong CB partnership we're going to get countered to death. Not a good combo with the way we like to play.

easily rectifiable if Martinez is given money. Get a defender who defends first and foremost. Its great to have someone like a Stones who is skillful but equally how many goals could have been prevented last year by having a good old fashioned 'if in doubt lump it up field and clear your lines' style defender rather than see Jags, Stones and Barry try to pass it out and then lose the ball.
Next bring in this illusive No 10 we've heard about all summer. Lets start keeping possession in the midfield and attacking areas a bit more and then the defenders won't need to worry so much about tika taka.

easily rectifiable if Martinez is given money. Get a defender who defends first and foremost. Its great to have someone like a Stones who is skillful but equally how many goals could have been prevented last year by having a good old fashioned 'if in doubt lump it up field and clear your lines' style defender rather than see Jags, Stones and Barry try to pass it out and then lose the ball.
Next bring in this illusive No 10 we've heard about all summer. Lets start keeping possession in the midfield and attacking areas a bit more and then the defenders won't need to worry so much about tika taka.
Unfortunately that would require Martinez to change his tactics which he's not going to do. If we sign a traditional CB and try and get them playing possession football we are going to be in for some big humpings.

If we sign a ball playing CB who can't defend see above.

I don't want to go on about Evans because I accept the argument regarding his fitness but he really is by far the best available. He's very good on the ball and his long passing is excellent which will help when we're being pressed. His biggest weakness is when he's the more senior defender but with Jags to lead him I think he could do a brilliant job.

Frankly while he's fit it won't weaken us too much. I understand the calls for VVD but I haven't seen him and he hasn't really been tested to form a concrete opinion. The fact that Southampton want him probably leads me to believe he's pretty good. Either I would be OK with.

We really just need to sign Yarmolenko. He's the playing our season will rest on. Not John Stones. Although we all know it will be Lennon and mid to bottom half here we come.

And has deteriorated worse than him, been gash for over a season now

I'm pretty sure that he won't be retiring this season and will be playing, probably in the prem. I'm not suggesting that he would be a replacement for Stones, more that with his experience of the Prem and of playing with Jags that he might provide much needed cover.

I'm pretty sure that he won't be retiring this season and will be playing, probably in the prem. I'm not suggesting that he would be a replacement for Stones, more that with his experience of the Prem and of playing with Jags that he might provide much needed cover.
Rather use browning, Galloway, Mori as cover. Lescott really ha become that gash over the past 18 months, like he has concrete in his boots

Not to mention he's a bad judas who deserves no redemption

Feel for Martinez here. If Stones goes, he's been made to look a liar, he's nothing of the sort. Stones wasn't for sale. Clearly the circumstances have changed. He has to do what is best for Everton FC not his reputation.

Feel for Martinez here. If Stones goes, he's been made to look a liar, he's nothing of the sort. Stones wasn't for sale. Clearly the circumstances have changed. He has to do what is best for Everton FC not his reputation.
I think it could be why we haven't heard anything from the club so far. This is a very tricky situation. I suspect the board want to sell and Stones wants to go but Martinez is holding firm. It could go either way and I guess Martinez is finding out "how things work at Everton".

Ultimately I can't see the board selling Stones without Martinez's consent.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...nsfer-request-Everton-does-mean-practice.html

Good article. It shows past history of when players have handed in a request.

Ultimately it really doesn't change anything. If Martinez wants to keep him then he still can however if it means losing out on Yarmolenko then I don't think that would be a wise decision.

If we keep him out of principle we've written off the season basically - we wont be breaking down difficult teams without significant investment up the pitch.

Regular / long term injuries to Baines, Lukaku, Mirallas and Deulofeu and we could be looking at a relegation battle as we just dont create chances

If we keep him out of principle we've written off the season basically - we wont be breaking down difficult teams without significant investment up the pitch.

Regular / long term injuries to Baines, Lukaku, Mirallas and Deulofeu and we could be looking at a relegation battle as we just dont create chances
It all depends. Yarmolenko looks as back on now as what it was on Saturday before the game so if we were to get Yarmolenko and keep Stones we definitely have a team that could do some serious damage. Maybe even break top 4. Maybe win a pot.

With the Euros coming up Stones will get over it. He will go off on the international break and realize that kicking up a fuss isn't going to help him since he's got too long on his contract.

If we don't sign Yarmolenko either because we don't have the money or due to his owner then ultimately I don't think we can accomplish very much with the squad as it is and probably should sell him now because there's not a great deal of point keeping him and risk him dropping in value and being a disruption.

I've been accused of writing contradicting statements and the reason is we just don't know the facts. It's a bit like Schrodinger's cat. Until we can actually see for ourselves we don't know if we have a dead moggy on our hands. Well we will see soon enough.

Let him go with 5 days left and find a poor replacement = relegation battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back