Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing is, he's always animated pitchside, so I dont see what more he has to do on that score. It's not like he's a passionless observer of the game.

The overall point being made though is that being furious in public is somehow equated with being a good a manager and shows they 'get it'.

It's ridiculous. But apparently it brings respect.

This is true. I think the modern footballer would like to play for Martinez. He is kind, well spoken, supportive, positive, philosophical and thoughtful. My worry is sometimes that can lead to people taking advantage, but as with all things you can only be yourself and your strengths can be your weaknesses.

There are many ways to skin a cat and all that though. There is a strength there. His decision to drop Distin for Stones and particularly to release Alcaraz were strong decisions.

As I said, you can only be yourself. It always made me laugh, Smith got slated for not being animated. When Moyes got animated it was suddenly not very professional to do that. Martinez does it his way and he's criticised. I think for some fans the manager can't win. I don't particularly care about the managers demeanour, what matters is there performance.

I call BS here.

Dave's like the p^ssy cat which arches it's back, raises it's tail and hisses at you as you approach it, but one little tickle under the chin and it's purring contentedly.

In other news, Martinez over the last week or so, has shown both the fans and Mourinho that he's no pushover

It's good that others realise he's not the soft touch that his normal public persona might suggest.

It's very naive for people to assume this anyway. Oh, he comes off nice in public so he must be an absolute wet wipe in the changing rooms.

Like people who think Martinez actually thinks our performances are pleasing when we get trounced, just because he said so in his post match interview.

It's very naive for people to assume this anyway. Oh, he comes off nice in public so he must be an absolute wet wipe in the changing rooms.

Like people who think Martinez actually thinks our performances are pleasing when we get trounced, just because he said so in his post match interview.

Most people respect honesty and a bit of straight talking. A little sugar coating is fine, but too much begins to sound stupid.

I get that like, but some people seem to actually think what he says in his interviews is what he believes!

I beg to differ. I think most people realise he's speaking straight out of some media communication course textbook, see right through it and just wish he'd be more honest.

I wouldn't expect him to be hugely critical of individual performances in public, but when he talks up a poor performance into something it wasn't, then he risks losing credibility.

win lose or draw, I do not want to hear a load of old flannel. RM has been guilty in the past of doing this. What's more annoying is when we play badly, it's generally sugar coated old flannel...I would prefer "we were poor today...we will fix that" (and then he headbutts the interviewer)

es6eyd.jpg

Very good but is he better than Moyes at staring daggers?

This is true. I think the modern footballer would like to play for Martinez. He is kind, well spoken, supportive, positive, philosophical and thoughtful. My worry is sometimes that can lead to people taking advantage, but as with all things you can only be yourself and your strengths can be your weaknesses. There are many ways to skin a cat and all that though. There is a strength there. His decision to drop Distin for Stones and particularly to release Alcaraz were strong decisions.

As I said, you can only be yourself. It always made me laugh, Smith got slated for not being animated. When Moyes got animated it was suddenly not very professional to do that. Martinez does it his way and he's criticised. I think for some fans the manager can't win. I don't particularly care about the managers demeanour, what matters is there performance.
Spot on. They were big character calls. His stance on Stones especially is showing he has gravitas. He's stamped his authority here with quiet determination.

Theres a culture shock amongst some fans who were used to the Moyes scowl and his stern words in public when he felt the need to give the players a dressing down. They're used to that and think it's the way to go about things. Martinez has a different way of making the same points that's all.

Spot on. They were big character calls. His stance on Stones especially is showing he has gravitas. He's stamped his authority here with quiet determination.

Theres a culture shock amongst some fans who were used to the Moyes scowl and his stern words in public when he felt the need to give the players a dressing down. They're used to that and think it's the way to go about things. Martinez has a different way of making the same points that's all.

Yes this is exactly it. I worked in education for some time and I can honestly tell you there are a million ways to inspire people, exert discipline/control over people, inspire people etc. Just because people don't scream and shout doesn't mean there's not a firmness underneath it all.

In the end you can only judge people on their end results.

Yes this is exactly it. I worked in education for some time and I can honestly tell you there are a million ways to inspire people, exert discipline/control over people, inspire people etc. Just because people don't scream and shout doesn't mean there's not a firmness underneath it all.

In the end you can only judge people on their end results.
I just feel sorry for those Sociedad players having to put up with Sgt Major Moyes. They must be counting the days until the dinosaur leaves.

Wont be long before they tire of that ginger divvy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back