Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Manager-David-Moyes-shocked.jpg

Ha ha, what game was that for United? He really got the magnifying glass treatment at Old Trafford didn't he.

Ha ha, what game was that for United? He really got the magnifying glass treatment at Old Trafford didn't he.

Not sure...he never stood a chance there.

Which frankly for me says loads about Martinez. He was going into a very similar situation that Moyes did at United. Martinez coming from a relegated side to us following Moyes' long and relatively successful reign as manager left some large shoes to fill. He was an immediate success...hopefully less of last season is in the cards going forward.

Your avatar looks like it's got a decent gurn in it.
Mind you, who am I to talk.

People like to see a combination of skill, passion and fight on the pitch. It's only natural that folk want to have all those qualities visible in the manager. It creates a closer bond between supporters, who part with their hard earned, and the manager.

I know a couple of people who saw him behind the scenes at Wigan, so know what he's like behind closed doors. It's good that others realise he's not the soft touch that his normal public persona might suggest.

It's like the opposite of yourself really. I know, from conversations we've had in private, that beneath that grumpy, angry exterior there's a really decent bloke.

There's also a perception, whether correct or not, that a team's character is a reflection of it's manager's personality. There are untold examples of this down the years. Now, Roberto is probably the nicest manager in the PL and it would seem very difficult to imagine anyone disliking him, even fans of opposition clubs.

Notwithstanding the point made that he is not a soft touch behind the scenes, there seems to be a perception amongst some fans that this Everton team is a bit too nice, and has lost some of it's steeliness and resolve which was present under the previous management.

Last night the 'other' side of Martinez was apparent, and it showed in the team's performance in the 2nd half. It was just good for us fans to see evidence that this side of his character is there, and it will have won a lot of doubters over to him I'd wager.

Not sure...he never stood a chance there.

Which frankly for me says loads about Martinez. He was going into a very similar situation that Moyes did at United. Martinez coming from a relegated side to us following Moyes' long and relatively successful reign as manager left some large shoes to fill. He was an immediate success...hopefully less of last season is in the cards going forward.

I agree on some level. Both had big boots to fill certain circumstances were different though. But I was getting that the media microscope. Social and everything else. But I felt he got what he bargained for.

His best start for us after 4 games. Considering everything that has been going on in this transfer window, it's a promising start to the season.

new york city guy all my life. decided to take up watching the epl after the world cup. was looking for s team and caught the coyb bug last summer. watched all last year and now im back for year two. just recently found this forum.

You just missed the drama of David Moyes going to United and Martinez first season where we we're boss and finished above United -also beating them rendering Moyes to be sacked the next day but I'm digressing. Last season was boring as hell, peculiar time to become a Toffee. Anyway welcome to the best club in the world and best football forum to boot.

new york city guy all my life. decided to take up watching the epl after the world cup. was looking for s team and caught the coyb bug last summer. watched all last year and now im back for year two. just recently found this forum.

Feel sorry for you really. Last season was a dreadful season to be a Toffee. But if you watched that Anfield derby live you may have been a bit proud.

lol yeah...last year was tough but if i survived it and am back, then i guess i really am a fan. the jags goal had me screaming. and the chelsea match was bananas. but i felt early on that we settled for ties instead of wins and that set the tone for the rest of the year. i sense a little bit different energy this year compared to last. btw, im also learning the game so im a novice in terms of strategy, etc. so please forgive me for any future post that shows ignorance :)

after his awful last season.. i'm back on his side (for the most part)

the personal he brings in over the next few days will make or break the season for us, okay start so far.

also hope he goes back to making pro-active subs like in his first season.

after his awful last season.. i'm back on his side (for the most part)

the personal he brings in over the next few days will make or break the season for us, okay start so far.

also hope he goes back to making pro-active subs like in his first season.

He did vs Watford and Barnsley.

The Naismith sub vs City was not sexy...very unpopular...even if I could follow the logic path. Could have gone a better path though.

lol yeah...last year was tough but if i survived it and am back, then i guess i really am a fan. the jags goal had me screaming. and the chelsea match was bananas. but i felt early on that we settled for ties instead of wins and that set the tone for the rest of the year. i sense a little bit different energy this year compared to last. btw, im also learning the game so im a novice in terms of strategy, etc. so please forgive me for any future post that shows ignorance :)
Can't be any worse than Chico.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back