Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the reality is, we are now in a very strong financial position due to the increased sky money

But we are not in a strong financial position relative to our peers. Martinez knows this and thus he is building a team from youngsters. It's going to take time to see if this is the correct strategy and it means that we're a way off realistically challenging for silverware.

The fact that Martinez backed by Bill did not want to sell Stones is great and should be hugely applauded but let's not think we are now financially strong because of this. We quite clearly are not.

But we are not in a strong financial position relative to our peers. Martinez knows this and thus he is building a team from youngsters. It's going to take time to see if this is the correct strategy and it means that we're a way off realistically challenging for silverware.

The fact that Martinez backed by Bill did not want to sell Stones is great and should be hugely applauded but let's not think we are now financially strong because of this. We quite clearly are not.
We will only challenge if the youngsters we have are much better than we think and improve at a faster rate because of this. We all have ideas about how good the likes of Stones, Barkley and Lukaku will be but none of us have a clue at present how good Galloway, Browning and Holgate may be and others.

We may fluke a cup if we have some luck with the draws along the way but with so many young players a realistic challenge for the top 4 even top 6 is a long way off as they will lack consistency for a league campaign.

So you now know Martinez will protect and praise Kenwright. This was one of your biggest gripes with moyes that he protected and praised this bored. I also remember you saying you would not support Martinez if he followed the same script. He is. So where do you stand now on Martinez given his staunch backing of Bill. So either bill is a great chairman which moyes and Martinez tell everyone or they (Martinez) are part of the problem as he will continue to protect bill as moyes did.
No I didn't. I fully expect any Everton manager employed by Fat Head to back the board. It's the only way they get the job - after being vetted for that dubious quality.

Martinez is not a loose cannon. Kenwright knew he was employing a man who can be trusted to remain stoical under trying circumstances. The last thing this Everton regime would do would be to employ a drama queen who'd walk and spill the beans to the public about what the club is like internally.

No I didn't. I fully expect any Everton manager employed by Fat Head to back the board. It's the only way they get the job - after being vetted for that dubious quality.

Martinez is not a loose cannon. Kenwright knew he was employing a man who can be trusted to remain stoical under trying circumstances. The last thing this Everton regime would do would be to employ a drama queen who'd walk and spill the beans to the public about what the club is like internally.

Hes just carrying on from Moyes, who you used to call his yesman.

Great innit, imagine if we had a manager with balls.

Do you think that is a good thing, Dave?
I never liked Moyes for doing it, so I have to be consistent and say no it isn't.

Still, every manager employed by Kenwright will be a manager who tows the line so there's no bucking that trend until he goes. At least with Martinez we get a cheery disposition and the ability to send teams out to play association football and not Gaelic football....unlike the miserable hoofball proponent Moyes.

Martinez is not a risk taker. Unless you mean giving McGeady, Alcaraz and Robles game time.
He is a natural risk taker, look at his windows, he gambles big on players both in terms of cost and how late in the window he leaves it) and even the way he sets his team up is to commit men forward although we did lose a little of that last season.

As you've mentioned.. it's the lack of cash.

How do you see that developing? It is a worrying development for those looking for change at the top of the club.

You are right of course. Kenwright knows a close relationship with a manager allows himself the opportunity to send off the flak, but also look good in the media.
Martinez is an affable fellow. He knows his position in the hierarchy of a club and wont ever try and seek to challenge that. Whelan, Kenwright, whoever's next: RM will be respectful and work within budgets.

Moyes was a bigger letdown though because he was here over a decade and built up an unassailable position in relation to power relations at the club and could, if he'd wished, pushed for more finances. He didn't do that and we know why in retrospect: it's highly likely he was under advisement from SAF not to rock the boat with Everton's hierarchy for fear of it scaring the horses at OT. Moyes basically traded off better transfer windows for Everton to demonstrate to his future bosses that he was a safe bet.

I'll buy you a centre half Jose if it makes you feel alright
I'll get you centre half Jose 'cos Terrys old and sh1te
But Bobby don't care too much for money, and money can't buy John Stones

Can't buy you Sto-ones, Roberto told you so
Can't buy you Sto-ones, no no no, no

I NEED TO HEAR THIS ON SEPTEMBER 12TH!!!!!!

this is brilliant.

Martinez is an affable fellow. He knows his position in the hierarchy of a club and wont ever try and seek to challenge that. Whelan, Kenwright, whoever's next: RM will be respectful and work within budgets.

Moyes was a bigger letdown though because he was here over a decade and built up an unassailable position in relation to power relations at the club and could, if he'd wished, pushed for more finances. He didn't do that and we know why in retrospect: it's highly likely he was under advisement from SAF not to rock the boat with Everton's hierarchy for fear of it scaring the horses at OT. Moyes basically traded off better transfer windows for Everton to demonstrate to his future bosses that he was a safe bet.

What a complete pile of crap.

How could Moyes have pushed for more?

Moyes made his own transfer funds, as he said, Martinez will learn how Everton operate.

Sell to buy FC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back