Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
We'd have lost that game last season. Largely, we kept our shape and defended reasonably against a motivated spurs who didn't play midweek, let alone extra time. Kone was gash on the right, did better up front, but once Del is fully fit he will be benched
Spot on mate.

We'd have lost that game last season. Largely, we kept our shape and defended reasonably against a motivated spurs who didn't play midweek, let alone extra time. Kone was gash on the right, did better up front, but once Del is fully fit he will be benched
I'm not sure if Kone will be benched. It would appear Kone is our holdup man whenever teams press us. The fact remains unless we're chasing the game by loads or it's the last few minutes Martinez refuses to play both Deulofeu and Mirallas.

Perhaps he kept Barry on to keep a more defensive outlook and settle for the point, we were outplayed all game. Again, after a hectic, stressful week, a point against Spurs, away, really isn't that bad a result.
Barry was the biggest liability on the park, i doubt subbing him would have affected keeping a clean sheet.

Point away at spurs is a good result but the all round performance was quite poor i thought.

Implications? You mean like the implications from stuffing Southampton 3 nil? A team on paper better than Spurs?

We shall see, I just don't see any change from last season.

It seems most people on here pretty much write off the games against the better teams as free hits because we're unlikely to get anything from them. The acid test will come against the likes of Sunderland at home, which I think we'll struggle in because of the tactics our manager employs.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Martinez: &quot;I heard a great song about John Stones that our fans were singing. I was ready to join in.&quot; <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/TOTvEFC?src=hash">#TOTvEFC</a></p>&mdash; Everton (@everton) <a href="">August 29, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I'm not sure if Kone will be benched. It would appear Kone is our holdup man whenever teams press us. The fact remains unless we're chasing the game by loads or it's the last few minutes Martinez refuses to play both Deulofeu and Mirallas.

I have the same question, but I don't see them train week in and week out and don't know them at all.

Could be a million reasons we aren't playing two class players, but short of a full private eye investigation, I have to hope that Martinez is just doing his job and knows more than me / us.

How many do you think we'll have after the next 6 games? People keep saying that the fixtures are difficult but they don't get any easier and won't do all season. Whether we'll find the likes of Sunderland at home any easier to play against is massively debatable anyway.
The last couple of weeks havent been the most stable. Watford (unknown quantity)aside I consider a result in the following 7 games a bonus.
Very difficult start to the season, but continue like today nick a point at a top 7 club .I'm ok with that ,brighter days to come after this tricky period.

Poor performance and Martinez admitted that there were at 4 players feeling leggy during the game and that is why we couldn't get going the way he would have liked. Todays performance actually reminded me a lot of the majority of Moyes tenure but then they were classed as good dogged performances.

This is the Martinez thread.
Dear dear. Comparisons are not allowed? Are you saying that the 841 page 19 post per page thread has never mentioned another manager or are you just gegging in yet again? probably the later. I try to be constructive, take note lad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back