Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea why?

Are you aware of some issue between Kenwright and Moyes because frankly I think that's the most likely outcome if Martinez gets the sack.
Too much water passed under the bridge, there were issues between them after he went to utd, plus large factions of fans would kick off and lets have it right he had a good crack at it and still failed

Too much water passed under the bridge, there were issues between them after he went to utd, plus large factions of fans would kick off and lets have it right he had a good crack at it and still failed
I understand that but I still think Kenwright would take him back. One summer and a few bad decisions doesn't ruin 10 years and the fact he hasn't taken another English job suggests to me he's waiting for the Everton job. I think it's also why the Martinez fans are so sensitive to Moyes comparisons because they know this too.

I hope Martinez can get us firing because while it isn't working at the moment I don't really want to go back to Moyes either. Gary Monk would be my choice but I think Liverpool or even Arsenal might be after him when they want a change.

Spot on apart from the last 3 words.
I think it all depends on this season. Like the first he will stay. Like the 2nd he will be gone and Moyes will come in because I don't think Moyes will be willing to stay in Spain for longer. It's just a shame for Martinez that he hasn't been backed in the transfer window. At least that's how it looks.

Spot on apart from the last 3 words.
In my opinion as well as he done, almost wonders at times, IMO he never showed me anything that suggested he could take us that little bit further, either winning a trophy or winning at the big boys, his mentality just couldn't quite do it, that's why I think he's always destined for a certain calibre of club

I think it all depends on this season. Like the first he will stay. Like the 2nd he will be gone and Moyes will come in because I don't think Moyes will be willing to stay in Spain for longer. It's just a shame for Martinez that he hasn't been backed in the transfer window. At least that's how it looks.

Moyes won't be coming back.

It might be different if he had unfinished business like Mourinho had, but he had 11 years and it was time to move on for both parties.

In my opinion as well as he done, almost wonders at times, IMO he never showed me anything that suggested he could take us that little bit further, either winning a trophy or winning at the big boys, his mentality just couldn't quite do it, that's why I think he's always destined for a certain calibre of club

I agree, just don't assess it as failure though, rather a period of progress.

I suppose history will eventually be the judge of that.

Martinez has never actually won at the big boys. The year we beat Utd they finished 7th. Last year our record against the top 4 was shocking and this year hasn't started any better. Perhaps it's just a very difficult thing to do with our budget.

Martinez has never actually won at the big boys. The year we beat Utd they finished 7th. Last year our record against the top 4 was shocking and this year hasn't started any better. Perhaps it's just a very difficult thing to do with our budget.
I do not think so. Look at the saints game, Watford game and City. To me it was more about tactics as it was with the spurs game. Is RM a bit fearful when facing top teams and plays to defend? really no matter who we play the tactics should be get in there, mix it up and go at them not let them have the initiative.

I do not think so. Look at the saints game, Watford game and City. To me it was more about tactics as it was with the spurs game. Is RM a bit fearful when facing top teams and plays to defend? really no matter who we play the tactics should be get in there, mix it up and go at them not let them have the initiative.
Southampton have been terrible so far this season. They have no pace in their defense and it leaves them horribly open to the counter.

Against Spurs, Watford and City we didn't look like we could create very much. It has nothing to do with playing against top teams. If we face a defense that is well organized and doesn't play a high line we struggle. Without signings that will continue.

He might start playing Deulofeu more and that will help because I think he's a wonderful talent but apart from him I really don't see who we have when teams defend deep. As much as people berated Januzaj and I accept he hasn't got off to a great start we could have done with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back