Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has messed up badly if he has sacrificed his prized number 10 by paying 10 mill for a 3rd choice cb.
The board are a disgrace but turning down 8 mill for naismith is an awful desicision

wat.

What if Jags and Stones do their hammies and/or get exhausted and we have NO FIT CENTREBACKS??? I'd prefer a back up CB to a no.10 if it really came down to that. Games are won from the back.

At the end of last season (after the Spurs game) I would have been very happy to see Martinez leave the club - I said as much in an article on this site.

However I think he has had an exemplary transfer window despite having his hands tied by our friends in the Board. We've kept everyone we wanted to keep, brought in previously loaned players who we know add to the team and the club, and made some good additions to the squad.

Martinez has played a blinder - the jury is still out about what he does on the pitch, but there can be little doubt of his success off the pitch this summer.

At the end of last season (after the Spurs game) I would have been very happy to see Martinez leave the club - I said as much in an article on this site.

However I think he has had an exemplary transfer window despite having his hands tied by our friends in the Board. We've kept everyone we wanted to keep, brought in previously loaned players who we know add to the team and the club, and made some good additions to the squad.

Martinez has played a blinder - the jury is still out about what he does on the pitch, but there can be little doubt of his success off the pitch this summer.

I've liked this post twice now haha.

Good to put it in here too.

Spot on, Bobby has really had his work cut out this transfer window and I feared the squad would be weaker (in anticipation of Stones leaving), but with limited resources he's made it much stronger.

We've been better in the pitch too, though I agree the jury is still out. We were tactically superb against Southampton though, and it gave me hope that he may not be so possession obsessed and stubborn tactically.

Played the Stones situation beautifully and it seems pretty clear that he has been given full control of the transfer policy by the board within the allocated budget; i.e. it was his decision not to cash in on Stones and use the money to strengthen elsewhere. Hope it was the right one and it pays off.

There was obviously some money available though so I hope he doesn't regret not pursuing other targets when it became clear Yarmolenko was unavailable, especially when any potential signing could have been part-funded by selling Naismith.

Only time will tell if the decisions he made in this window will prove to have been the right ones.

Some sanity on the forum at last

@davek

Unlike our CEO, Bobby is making the very best of a difficult situation. Robert could learn from Roberto in terms of making the most of the situation he faces.

That's the trouble, they ( Elstone etc. ) have to admit there is a situation(s) to face. The Churchill option of KBO and hope to drag the Yanks in to it, or some similar football related get out of jail card, worked then...but that was then.

#planwhatplanthereisnoplan

Delofeu
Cleverley
Mori
Lennon
Rodriguez

Plus-
Oviedo fit
Kone fit

Galloway, Browning & Garbutt all developing nicely.

Definitely stronger than we finished last season. 8/10 for me, despite the lack of a big money signing (we ARE skint after all). Glass half full.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back