Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
In this day and age, with this level of spending, Martinez getting in Deulofeu, Cleverley and Lennon for a total cost of £8.5M would have been like Moyes getting in three similar quality players for about 10 bob. There's no stick to be had here to beat the manager with.

The Mori deal looks overpriced, but those three at that price would have had even dithering dave punching the air with pride. I think he's done good business here with what little he had. If Mori turns out trumps then it'll have been one of the best value windows ever.

Bloody hell,
I am in total agreement with Davek.

*checks temperature

In this day and age, with this level of spending, Martinez getting in Deulofeu, Cleverley and Lennon for a total cost of £8.5M would have been like Moyes getting in three similar quality players for about 10 bob. There's no stick to be had here to beat the manager with.

The Mori deal looks overpriced, but those three at that price would have had even dithering dave punching the air with pride. I think he's done good business here with what little he had. If Mori turns out trumps then it'll have been one of the best value windows ever.

Thats right Dave, all need to be given a chance to see what they can do. Must have surprised many a manager that RM went to South America for these players. Wonder exactly what ticked RM's boxes with these players.

Gotta say "go for it bobby lid" might turn out too be a bubbly season come May but he's got what he wanted and kept what he wanted so thumbs up from me.
Just needs to iron out them strange subs he makes most times but saying that I will be behind him shouting from my armchair..

Be lucky lid

Incoming;

upload_2015-9-2_17-42-40.webp

Outgoing;

upload_2015-9-2_17-43-18.webp

What do we reckon?

Incoming;

View attachment 13323

Outgoing;

View attachment 13324approach.

What do we reckon?
Interesting to note that Roberto tends to get a good look at players first before signing them - either on loan or else signs them and then resigns them from elsewhere (10 out of the 18 players in that incoming list fall into the category).

Suggests a lot of caution in his approach to players.

Twice in his short time as manager we've resisted strong media pressure to sell players for less than Martinez valued them at or refused to sell them at all. We were fortunate that Fellaini/Baines/Stones didn't act out, with all of them playing during the speculation, but that also suggests good man management behind the scenes as well.

We've also refused to be pushed into bidding more for Cleverley and Lennon than we wanted to, being prepared to wait in the first case and apparently willing to do the same for Aaron. The keeness of loanees/former players to work with him again also suggests good man management.

Am happy in general with his transfer business, there are a few poor decisions in that list but even Moyes (who I though one of the best in the business) had a few hiccups as well.

Twice in his short time as manager we've resisted strong media pressure to sell players for less than Martinez valued them at or refused to sell them at all. We were fortunate that Fellaini/Baines/Stones didn't act out, with all of them playing during the speculation, but that also suggests good man management behind the scenes as well.

We've also refused to be pushed into bidding more for Cleverley and Lennon than we wanted to, being prepared to wait in the first case and apparently willing to do the same for Aaron. The keeness of loanees/former players to work with him again also suggests good man management.

Am happy in general with his transfer business, there are a few poor decisions in that list but even Moyes (who I though one of the best in the business) had a few hiccups as well.

moyes and strikers... shudder

That's a big IF. But yea those 3 for less than 10m is insane.

Similarly a couple of members of the Board deserves a little bit of credit for their role in negotiating the above acquisitions, it was not just Martinez.

The Board are rightly criticised for their many shortcomings but their stance on Stones, and their ability to buy low in this window needs to be recognised.

Now if only they could find some investors and we could really get the show moving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back