Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
All this about a playmaker but yet loads on here think Barkley is very creative. So why has a no10 been priority most this window

All this about a playmaker but yet loads on here think Barkley is very creative. So why has a no10 been priority most this window

This window is not the be all and end all. We're not Liberpewl Scum C. We can't cant spunk money up the wall. Let them panic buy via a committee, we'll continue to buy via our manager who knocked them, their job offer, and transfer policy, well and truly back.

The same reason loads of people think Lukaku is a liability: loads of people on here are a bit slow on the uptake :)

If he would just play actual wingers instead of Cleverley and Kone we might actually be amazing even without the playmaker.

I get what you are saying, and there is a part of me that agrees. That said, Clev and Kone have been two of our better performers thus far whether we want to admit it or not.

Seen a load of boss looking lineups posted on here that would lose 6-3 more often than not.

My biggest concern is that our aging keeper has been under fire thus far. While he's produced a Renaissance of sorts thus far, I am not convinced he can keep it up facing the amount of shots he's required to save.

Our defense needs sorting...they need to play as a unit. We love Stones...he's got class and we can all see it. He is also prone to big errors defensively. The ridiculous thing is Stones will be forgiven for his errors where Distin/Alcaraz were slated. More Fun is already the next who will be on the firing line even though he is young. Our fans are so weird in the fickle nature in which they support one player versus another. ANYWAY I'm getting off topic in my response, the priority at the moment for me is tightening it up at the back.

Ok...So without attacking the credibility of sports witness, quoting Atsu when it was widely reported that Chelsea had reservations based on game time, and the gossip page of the echo....

Where in either of those pages do it suggest Martinez made a managerial error? Because that was your original point remember.

You think he could have signed Nolito and didn't? You think Nolito wanted to come to England? That we could meet his salary expectations?
He asked me for links that we were linked with Nolito and I supplied them.

I don't think we could have signed Nolito because he didn't want to come to England and that's the issue. Why are we linked to players that we are never going to get and then are left with the likes of Atsu? Are we serious and want these players or is Atsu and now Lennon always the target and these players are just to appease the fans during the window. Maybe Nolito was just a rumor and nothing to do with the club but Yarmolenko was a player we actually bid for.

End of discussion. There's nothing to argue because I wasn't making a point. I said it was worrying.

I get what you are saying, and there is a part of me that agrees. That said, Clev and Kone have been two of our better performers thus far whether we want to admit it or not.

Seen a load of boss looking lineups posted on here that would lose 6-3 more often than not.

My biggest concern is that our aging keeper has been under fire thus far. While he's produced a Renaissance of sorts thus far, I am not convinced he can keep it up facing the amount of shots he's required to save.

Our defense needs sorting...they need to play as a unit. We love Stones...he's got class and we can all see it. He is also prone to big errors defensively. The ridiculous thing is Stones will be forgiven for his errors where Distin/Alcaraz were slated. More Fun is already the next who will be on the firing line even though he is young. Our fans are so weird in the fickle nature in which they support one player versus another. ANYWAY I'm getting off topic in my response, the priority at the moment for me is tightening it up at the back.

Good post but far too much use of the word 'thus'

Assuming net transfer spend of 20mio/year and maintaining operating expenses at about 105mio/year, by the end of the big TV deal (May 2019), Everton will have no debt and a bank balance of 40 million pounds (workings to be presented in the finance thread)
Sounds good but to make infrastructural 'leap' (stadium) this is kind of meh. ie need capital injection...and it can't be debt (unless bumper TV revenue is guaranteed for 20 years...I suggest it won't and indeed believe we have reached peak TV money 'insanity'). Economically, the world is in the first phase of contraction. The falls recently witnessed in global sharemarkets?...you aint seen nothing yet.
Does that include the long term debt of about 20m-30m which would cost more to pay off than to just leave?

If so then we would have 60m-70m. That's close to the figure which I said we would need for a deposit and to then bring that up to 200m with a loan would cost in repayments 11m-12m a year.

That's more than affordable considering the stadium will increase our revenue by more than that per year - so even if the TV money doesn't continue we will be better financially for building a stadium than not building a stadium and we would also have a new stadium.

There really is no reason not to unless you want to gamble that all the deposit money (new TV money) should be spent on the team to aim to make a push for top 4. It's a risky strategy and it still would be hard to maintain the wages of a team in the champions league even with champions league money coming in so I'm not sure about it's long term viability.

Another strategy would have been the half way house which is spend big on one player this year and try and get into the champions league but expect not to the following year and simply pocket the money and sell during the course of the time we are building a stadium the equivalent money we spent on that top player. That was my preferred option if we had of been able to get Yarmolenko. It's also probably what we will be forced to do anyway in much the same way that Arsenal's young team were picked apart when they were building their stadium.

The fact that the world economy might be contracting (debatable) only highlights the need to not be so dependent on TV money and get the stadium built now when the money is available.

Last edited:
He asked me for links that we were linked with Nolito and I supplied them.

I don't think we could have signed Nolito because he didn't want to come to England and that's the issue. Why are we linked to players that we are never going to get and then are left with the likes of Atsu? Are we serious and want these players or is Atsu and now Lennon always the target and these players are just to appease the fans during the window. Maybe Nolito was just a rumor and nothing to do with the club but Yarmolenko was a player we actually bid for.

End of discussion. There's nothing to argue because I wasn't making a point. I said it was worrying.

Signings aren't brought in to appease the fans as you put it. They are brought in to improve our playing squad, which Lennon showed he could do last season.

Is it worrying that we haven't signed certain players? Or is it frustrating?

I think the latest window is a perfect reflection of Roberto's management of the club. He gives glimpses of hope, couple of good signings but no great signing.
Highest points tally then drops like a Stone.
Keeps Stones fails to deliver a No. 10.
He seems to always fall short of the target.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back