Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Signings aren't brought in to appease the fans as you put it. They are brought in to improve our playing squad, which Lennon showed he could do last season.

Is it worrying that we haven't signed certain players? Or is it frustrating?
But they weren't actually signings. Who knows and besides the transfer window is over. The squad is decent and Lennon will give us a good balance and with his defensive work rate it will at least allow us to play two wingers.

I think the latest window is a perfect reflection of Roberto's management of the club. He gives glimpses of hope, couple of good signings but no great signing.
Highest points tally then drops like a Stone.
Keeps Stones fails to deliver a No. 10.
He seems to always fall short of the target.
Basically it's the hope that kills you. Moyes understood this and for that reason he offered us no hope. ;)

But they weren't actually signings. Who knows and besides the transfer window is over. The squad is decent and Lennon will give us a good balance and with his defensive work rate it will at least allow us to play two wingers.

Sorry I misread your post, I thought you were implying players like Lennon were only brought in to appease fans. My bad.

Aye mate but we hit a really bad stretch in form the second half of that season even with Arteta, check back on it, really amazes me how we managed to finish 4th still in hindsight

But Graverson wasn't the reason we did so well in the first half of that season. Also it would have been impossible for Everton to turn down a bid from Real Madrid and keep the player happy, even if he only had 6 months of his contract left.

This is the season where martinez has to step up or we have to get rid. We gave him a off season so now he needs to man up and show his capabilities.

What i expect from us this year is to compete. If we finished 8th, but were competitive then fine by me. If we did well in the cups ten a bonus but we need to go out and become ourselves again, have our exciting wingers actually worry defenders, counter with speed and clinicalness. Lukaku needs to score and the team have to create for him, not follow last seasons trick of not giving the ball and wondering why we arent winning games.

I just hope come next summer, this number 10 signing that we would be stupid to ignore again is improving a great team and not plugging a hole in the squad instead,

I like it that he continually refers to us as 'a big club' or 'a massive club'....he knows that eventually these phrases will get into the public conciousness...its excellent marketing...he's always pushing 'brand Everton' which is excellent.
If it works, although the public he addresses is fairly limited ,talking yourself up is the modern way,but it has to be backed up by something substantial,if not it just becomes boring rhetoric and his using the same phrases is starting to become monotonous,rather than uplifting.I think the last window has proved we aren't a selling club,but the lack of investment,hardly projects us as "big" or "massive"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back