Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Argument for them both not to be in the team.

McCarthy doesn't appear to be on top form at present, so hopefully the big game against Chelski next week will be just the day for him to hit top form and get back to what we know he can produce.

Personally, I like Gareth Barry and whilst he's not the quickest, he's a battler and does try to get things going forward. McCarthy has a great engine, battles hard, but must and should try to be more positive when in possession.

McCarthy doesn't appear to be on top form at present, so hopefully the big game against Chelski next week will be just the day for him to hit top form and get back to what we know he can produce.

Personally, I like Gareth Barry and whilst he's not the quickest, he's a battler and does try to get things going forward. McCarthy has a great engine, battles hard, but must and should try to be more positive when in possession.

Neither are a patch on what Barkley could be running from deep in those positions. We could blow teams away with our attacking power. Wouldn't work against the top sides but at the moment we're losing them anyway. Instead we choose to play a very conservative defensive game which allows poor sides to take points off us. The Watford game is s prime example, you see the two 11s on paper and you can't believe we got given the run around at home. All stems from a very slow negative midfield pairing. Barkley would release the likes of Mirallas and Lukaku and they are too good for the majority of the league to handle when they are played in in the right positions. Instead we're making both look very average.

Neither are a patch on what Barkley could be running from deep in those positions. We could blow teams away with our attacking power. Wouldn't work against the top sides but at the moment we're losing them anyway. Instead we choose to play a very conservative defensive game which allows poor sides to take points off us. The Watford game is s prime example, you see the two 11s on paper and you can't believe we got given the run around at home. All stems from a very slow negative midfield pairing. Barkley would release the likes of Mirallas and Lukaku and they are too good for the majority of the league to handle when they are played in in the right positions. Instead we're making both look very average.

Would rather see Ross played further forward myself.
With the arrival of Funes Mori, El Bob might go with three at the back with the fullbacks pushing forward more and that could see Rom and Kev up front with Ross just behind with pace and width from Lennon and Deulofeu. Might be a bit risky against a top team, but a line-up like this should be capable of running the also-rans ragged.

With the arrival of Funes Mori, El Bob might go with three at the back with the fullbacks pushing forward more and that could see Rom and Kev up front with Ross just behind with pace and width from Lennon and Deulofeu. Might be a bit risky against a top team, but a line-up like this should be capable of running the also-rans ragged.

That lineup would more than likely get bummed every game. Neither Barry or McCarthy play? The chances of that are literally 0% mate.

Excluding the goalkeeper, there are just 3 players in our team who sit in and don't attack and take risks positionally - Jagielka, Barry and McCarthy.

Playing Barkley deeper and another forward is just suicide, and very naive.
Since when did playing one holding midfielder and a proper box to box midfielder become suicide and very naive?

First of all it won't happen. Secondly, why did some fans keep banging on three at the back which it doesn't work for this team.

Since when did playing one holding midfielder and a proper box to box midfielder become suicide and very naive?

Since Martinez came in and convinced everyone that playing at home with two defensive mids and still having a rubbish defensive record was ok. He's putting out the same formation and team that came 11th last season and apart from a good game against Southampton, all signs point towards us going in the same direction this season. Not even threatening that shower of a Spurs side was criminal. Chelsea have conceded in every game this season but I'll wager that we don't even work the keeper over the full 90 at home.

3 at the back means nobody accepts responsibility for defending, hate the formation personally

That lineup would more than likely get bummed every game. Neither Barry or McCarthy play? The chances of that are literally 0% mate.

Like you, I think the chances of such a line up are next to zero, I merely offered it as a discussion option, Imwasn't specifically advocating it.

3 at the back means nobody accepts responsibility for defending, hate the formation personally

Not necessarily, though I would agree that if a back three is played, one of them needs to be the undisputed boss and the other two totally buy into that and react accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back