Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a very simple and easy to explain tactical reason why we won yesterday.

The reason is that we never bought or played a "number 10" that every tedious shitpipe obsessed over in the summer.

As a result we just went out there and ragged them because they'd done our head in. A good old fashioned Evertoning.

Stick your FIFA and Champ Manager up your arse you pissy pant flutes.

Chico....I was wondering.

If someone said we were looking for a "No. 8" would that be the same thing as a "No. 10"?

:pint2:

The most pleasing aspect of our play in these early stages of the season for me is how corner kicks have suddenly became exciting again.

We are looking dangerous now as the corners are whipped and we have numbers attacking them.

Such a delightful change to last season.

It's obvious that some lessons have been learnt add certain things worked on, We already look a much more resilient outfit than last season by a distance. The defending has improved apart from that horrendous 1st half against Barnsley. It might partly be down to the difficult start to the season and needs must, but there is certainly a basis to hope and believe that this could be a good season.

There's a very simple and easy to explain tactical reason why we won yesterday.

The reason is that we never bought or played a "number 10" that every tedious shitpipe obsessed over in the summer.

As a result we just went out there and ragged them because they'd done our head in. A good old fashioned Evertoning.

Stick your FIFA and Champ Manager up your arse you pissy pant flutes.

Get with the times lad it Football Manager ffs, proper Champ koffed ages ago :p

Stanley I am going to have to disagree with you the Martinez substitute.

It was clear he was very worried about our left hand side. Galloway was badly exposed against Manchester City and Ivanovic would have looked to bomb forward and overpower him. It's clear Besic was selected in part due to his "legs" but also his nasty streak to try and match Ivanovic. In that context Naismith is a close like for like replacement.

We should not view Besic as just a defensive midfielder, he was chosen to limit Ivanovic and offer to support Galloway.

Galloway played an awful lot better and we also got some joy down Chelsea's right hand side, both with Besic but then with Naismith. For that reason I think Martinez was correct.

Catcher your a great poster but sometimes I wish you would break your posts down into bite sized chunks instead of TL;DR . haha.

Stanley I am going to have to disagree with you the Martinez substitute.

It was clear he was very worried about our left hand side. Galloway was badly exposed against Manchester City and Ivanovic would have looked to bomb forward and overpower him. It's clear Besic was selected in part due to his "legs" but also his nasty streak to try and match Ivanovic. In that context Naismith is a close like for like replacement.

We should not view Besic as just a defensive midfielder, he was chosen to limit Ivanovic and offer to support Galloway.

Galloway played an awful lot better and we also got some joy down Chelsea's right hand side, both with Besic but then with Naismith. For that reason I think Martinez was correct.

Thank you, catcher, for your thoughtful post.

Manchester City are the team in form, and likely to be this season's Champions. Chelsea were last season's Champions, but are now sadly out of form. Ivanovic has been suffering more than most. I would have preferred to see a forward - a winger, even! - put Ivanovic under pressure, both to create scoring chances and to pin him back.

The Tactical Deconstruction of the Executioners Bong agrees with you about Besic and Naismith;

"The unfortunate Besic's cameo ended in woe - as it did 12 months ago against the same opponent - this time pulling up with a hamstring injury after a collision with Zouma. Martinez opted for the only snide for snide replacement open to him, with Naismith joining the action down the left flank, and it was down this channel that a lot of the damage was done."

With three defensive midfielders, we may well have contained Chelsea. But without Naismith's golden touch, we would probably have found it much harder to achieve the victory. Let's see how respectfully Roberto approaches Swansea.

Oh FFS
anigif_enhanced-15531-1422903769-13.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back