Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been a good few weeks for the boss. Very good few weeks.

Not gonna lie, had misgivings around Christmas, something was not right. I think we all know what that was now. But that flair and "sod em" attitude we had in his first season is returning.

Never wanted him out, search all you like, but I was baffled at what I watching at times last season. Ace to seemingly see the "old" Everton dusting themselves off.

Sky is the limit. Sort of.

Been a good few weeks for the boss. Very good few weeks.

Not gonna lie, had misgivings around Christmas, something was not right. I think we all know what that was now. But that flair and "sod em" attitude we had in his first season is returning.

Never wanted him out, search all you like, but I was baffled at what I watching at times last season. Ace to seemingly see the "old" Everton dusting themselves off.

Sky is the limit. Sort of.

I could never understand the sizeable shift against Martinez last season. I expected the few troubled souls who have always had it in for RM to hector a few more waverers into their camp, but there were some surprises in terms of who jumped ship. Last season was so obviously about the Europa League invasion of the season. It was like a lead weight around the team's ankles. They just couldn't manage to find a balance. That was my main gripe with Martinez and I said it very early last season too, because it was observable: he'd prioritized the European programme (or at least given it equal status with the domestic programme). It was madness and it very nearly cost him his job.

It's early days, but I fully expect us to build on this start and have a very good season.

I read that and responded only after I read the earlier page. (This is something that's happened before, btw: being seen to ignore a directive when in reality it's only been 'ignored' because it was read later in the thread).

I figured it wasn't on purpose, which is why I just pointed it out, rather than infracted you.
I'm not totally without feelings towards you. You're quite sexy in a grumpy, miserable kind of way.

I bloody hope so. Seemed like it as they were tons better second half.
Yeah, if I remember rightly people who were at the match said they saw him go into the tunnel before the first half ended, and he looked absolutely livid. And apparently some of the players looked a little shaken, though I don't know how true this is.

I think a lot of fans have this image of Martinez as this nice primary school teacher type who hands out stickers for effort or something. The Martinez we see, and who the press sees, is not necessarily the same person the squad see. He's a football manager in the EPL. Of course he gets angry sometimes. His relentless positivity in the press did get rather irritating, especially when we were playing like utter crap, but who's to say he wasn't tearing strips off the players behind the scenes? We don't know what goes on in the dressing room. As I said in the Stones thread, I read Living On The Volcano recently and Martinez came across as someone who didn't really give too much of himself away. Other managers interviewed, like Martin Ling and Ian Holloway and Sean Dyche, got quite personal when talking about management and football in general. Martinez didn't. Though it did come out that he punished players for losing the ball in a retention session by making them do pressups.

What is it you're after? Roberto to call you and talk you through it?

That would be nice. I used to meet David Moyes in the evenings when he was out walking his dogs.

Roberto constantly makes subtle changes during the game, but a lot of fans - and so-called experts too - think that he doesn't even have a Plan B.

So I was interested to learn how many fans were able to understand what was happening tactically on the field.

And I've discovered that there are one or two on here who do.

I could never understand the sizeable shift against Martinez last season. I expected the few troubled souls who have always had it in for RM to hector a few more waverers into their camp, but there were some surprises in terms of who jumped ship. Last season was so obviously about the Europa League invasion of the season. It was like a lead weight around the team's ankles. They just couldn't manage to find a balance. That was my main gripe with Martinez and I said it very early last season too, because it was observable: he'd prioritized the European programme (or at least given it equal status with the domestic programme). It was madness and it very nearly cost him his job.

It's early days, but I fully expect us to build on this start and have a very good season.

I couldn't understand it either. However, I seem to be in a very small minority, perhaps even a minority of one who thought the Europa campaign was really good for us in the medium to long term, even at the expense of a few league platings. The Europa, and taking it seriously, has given this young squad a great grounding in European football. It's no use busting a gut to get top four only to be unceremoniously dumped out of the CL at the first qualifying round, and without European experience that's exactly what would happen. It's given us much needed experience, and it's given us a 55-60 game season in most players legs which I reckon will see us massively fitter this year for the duration of the season.

Yeah, if I remember rightly people who were at the match said they saw him go into the tunnel before the first half ended, and he looked absolutely livid. And apparently some of the players looked a little shaken, though I don't know how true this is.

I think a lot of fans have this image of Martinez as this nice primary school teacher type who hands out stickers for effort or something. The Martinez we see, and who the press sees, is not necessarily the same person the squad see. He's a football manager in the EPL. Of course he gets angry sometimes. His relentless positivity in the press did get rather irritating, especially when we were playing like utter crap, but who's to say he wasn't tearing strips off the players behind the scenes? We don't know what goes on in the dressing room. As I said in the Stones thread, I read Living On The Volcano recently and Martinez came across as someone who didn't really give too much of himself away. Other managers interviewed, like Martin Ling and Ian Holloway and Sean Dyche, got quite personal when talking about management and football in general. Martinez didn't. Though it did come out that he punished players for losing the ball in a retention session by making them do pressups.

Slightly off topic but thought I'd take the opportunity to ask....is that Living on The Volcano worth a read?

That would be nice. I used to meet David Moyes in the evenings when he was out walking his dogs.

Roberto constantly makes subtle changes during the game, but a lot of fans - and so-called experts too - think that he doesn't even have a Plan B.

So I was interested to learn how many fans were able to understand what was happening tactically on the field.

And I've discovered that there are one or two on here who do.

Personally, I think he's got more plans than the City council planning department.....as you say, very subtle though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back