Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think some should be nick-picking about the forced change, he got the whole team to play really well and should be congratulated for it, confidence should be sky high after yesterdays result, so we should be looking to get right behind the manager and players and hope we really kick on, he might of even set money aside for that extra player that would improve us even more, if he has and he remains positive in our play we will have a really good squad capable of anything, i hope we can keep this going

Thank you, catcher, for your thoughtful post.

Manchester City are the team in form, and likely to be this season's Champions. Chelsea were last season's Champions, but are now sadly out of form. Ivanovic has been suffering more than most. I would have preferred to see a forward - a winger, even! - put Ivanovic under pressure, both to create scoring chances and to pin him back.

The Tactical Deconstruction of the Executioners Bong agrees with you about Besic and Naismith;

"The unfortunate Besic's cameo ended in woe - as it did 12 months ago against the same opponent - this time pulling up with a hamstring injury after a collision with Zouma. Martinez opted for the only snide for snide replacement open to him, with Naismith joining the action down the left flank, and it was down this channel that a lot of the damage was done."

With three defensive midfielders, we may well have contained Chelsea. But without Naismith's golden touch, we would probably have found it much harder to achieve the victory. Let's see how respectfully Roberto approaches Swansea.

Thanks mate.

I hadn't read the executioners piece but I agree entirely with the gist of it. Mourinho would have targeted our left hand side, and the power and nastiness of Ivanovic would have been hard to handle. I have regularly seen sides select defensive players to stop our fullbacks and we were looking to do the same.

Clearly Martinez felt we had them well matched up on the pitch on the pitch, and could pose an attacking threat in other areas, but we needed to give protection to our fullbacks.

In honesty I think Naismiths attacking contribution was a bit of a fortunate bonus, but giving Galloway that additional protection brought the best out of him. I also think he was acutely aware of last seasons home game when we were overrun, or at Chelsea away when they were very physical and wanted to match them up. A winger would have exposed Ivanovic but we might have risked being exposed down our left hand side.

On a day when we prevented the attacking threat of both Ivanovic and Pedro I think you have to say, even with unorthodox methods well done to Martinez.
He got a a fair bit of luck from Naismith coming up, but there is a bit of making your own luck as a manager, and his positivity in giving younger players a chance and trying unorthodox measures mean I won't begrudge him that bit of luck.

I'm sniderman. Fact.
Oh wow.

WOWOWOW.

Chico....I was wondering.

If someone said we were looking for a "No. 8" would that be the same thing as a "No. 10"?

:pint2:

I can't quite work it out mate. In our language it would be a central midfielder or attacking midfielder at a push.

Everyone knows Paul Bracewell is number 10 and Andy Gray (or Adrian Heath) is a number 8.

So is damo perma banned?

Yes he was given life without parole.
I wasn't away and I missed it.

I wonder if any kind fellow would point us in the direction of the thread where Damon finally flipped his lid.

There was no meltdown, just an accumulation of stuff. The authorities had him wire tapped and he couldn't resist running his mouth.

image.webp

Hahahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back