Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
We lose our next game and they'll be back with their pitchforks and torches rest assured.

As soon as the teamsheet is announced there will be fuming. We have some folks that ain't happy unless they are moaning.

They are waiting to turn on Kone, Barry, and Howard as well and will slate them at the first sign of a poor performance. Hate that crap.
bollocks

That there, is my favourite thread on this forum.

The title. The poll. The content. The poster. Everything - sums up everything wrong with the modern football fan, wonderfully.

Martinez always needed/needs until Christmas.
Look at me being the voice of reason and calm once more.

You'd have had him sacked. I bet you're seething with some of the recent results.

Hope you've learned a valuable lesson from the older heads on here.

Want to see more consistency now this season. Saturday was a great win and we are looking a lot stronger all over the pitch this season, but we've seen that type of win before under Martinez, we know that he can mastermind great wins against United Chelsea and Arsenal at home. I want to see us go to Swansea and West Brom and keep the level of performance high. At the moment though we could turn out anything ranging from our performance at Southampton to first half Watford or the Spurs game. I am hoping these early good signs are a return to 13/14 consistency and not just a couple of flashes in the pan like United at home last season or the games against Wolfsburg.

Imagine wanting Martinez fired though?

There was a moment there where a load of you turned into geordies and was screaming for his head. Had you got your way you would have set back Everton by years.

One brave man stood against you all, take a bow @davek.

For those who wanted him gone I deny you the right to enjoy Saturday's win.
Sherwood or Pulis they wanted.

At times like that someone has to come in and take the razor blade out of the child's hand.

Anyway, the fever has broken now. We're back to our silky football and Roberto is the undisputed man for the job again.

Sherwood or Pulis they wanted.

At times like that someone has to come in and take the razor blade out of the child's hand.

Anyway, the fever has broken now. We're back to our silky football and Roberto is the undisputed man for the job again.
I just hope they have learned their lesson but sadly I fear the Geordie gene is a stubborn one to fight against.

We did also have a legitimately tough group by which we were no means guaranteed to go through. Three "Big 5" clubs plus a faraway Russian side to top it off? EL groups are rarely that brutal.

I don't blame Martinez for not wanting to rotate more against sides like Wolfsburg and Lille.
I do, tbh. It's the one thing I'd agree with Moyes on. He ambled through the stages of that tournament and had the attitude that it was job done just to get there, and if our squad rotation permitted entry into the KO phase then all well and good.

The EL is too exhausting for any other approach to it. Go eyeballs out from the off and you're going to run out of gas and pick up injuries and spend way too much time away from preparing for the domestic programme.

It's obvious that some lessons have been learnt add certain things worked on, We already look a much more resilient outfit than last season by a distance. The defending has improved apart from that horrendous 1st half against Barnsley. It might partly be down to the difficult start to the season and needs must, but there is certainly a basis to hope and believe that this could be a good season.

It was the 6-3 defeat to Chelsea early last season that was Martinez moment on his road to Damascus. His plan for the season went out of the window with that result, because he realised that conceding too many goals would be our downfall. The whole of the season was make do and mend in the league, hence there were many poor performances. We only came alive in the Europa, because Martinez could play to his original plan in those games. In the league he had to be more cautious, and this went against his natural method, which is about possession and smart attacking. This season the squad has been extended, and the defence is in better shape, with the development of Stones an important factor, and so Martinez could revert to something like his first season tactics. Keeping Stones was important as a statement of intent, but was also important for the team on the field. We now have cover and competition for most positions, and the roots have been planted for the teams development over the next few years. Martinez has already proved that he is a thinker, and has also shown that he is on a permanent learning curve, and that he has a vision for the future. No doubt that we got the best deal between Martinez and Rodgers...a quick look at RAWK is enough to tell you what RS supporters think of Rodgers and their owners....lots on here may be critics of BK and the board, but at least our club has not been raped twice in a couple of years by various Americans.

As has been said, the combination of juggling all competitions along with the huge confidence knocking early results really took their toll on us last season. I never once advocated him being sacked, although my faith in him wavered a bit after the Stoke result. I did say he needs at least until Christmas to get us back on track and, hopefully without speaking too soon, he's back on track already.

Whether you agree or not with @davek and his ways of putting his views forward, his thread does show that our form has been very solid in 2015 and we need to keep building on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back