Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only when he moves to a top league will we be able to make a call on this but for now he has a far better goals and assists record at both club and international level from more or less the same position on the pitch.

I'm just looking forward to all the vaulting opportunities. This reminds me of all the morons who said Payet would be a flop and not worth the money.

As you love facts mate, get them straight why don't you as you are utterly wrong on that 'fact'?

Yarmolenko's record in club football - 101 goals, 70 assists
Hazard's - 99 goals, 106 Assists

so apparently 2 goals more is far better, then again 36 less assists is apparently more also?

Plus the Ukrainian league is utterly terrible besides about 3 teams

Payet LOL, he has played 5 games mate, hardly time to start vaulting people else you will look an even worse tool than normal, most peoples objections was 15m for a 28 year old who wanted 100K + and a multi million signing bonus as Payet wanted. Let's wait and see how he has done 2 seasons into his legendary West Ham career first eh?

Everyone in the game reckons the EL is a kiss of death for a teams season in the PL, and now we have the man closest to Everton's players confirming the combination was difficult to adapt to.

It's pretty conclusive.

Doesn't help but it doesn't mean it can't be done. Its an excuse, no reason playing in Europe justifies us finishing 11th after improving on a squad that finished 5th....

2006-07 38 11 4 4 33 17 4 9 6 19 19 +16 58 6th
2007-08 38 11 4 4 34 17 8 4 7 21 16 +22 65 5th
2008-09 38 8 6 5 31 20 9 6 4 24 17 +18 63 5th
Includes a cup final I believe

It was more than one reason though. Nobody thinks it was just Europe. Nobdoy think it was just the players playing like tits. Nobody think it was just Martinez going utterly mental at times. It's a lot of things added together.
This really.
In my eyes it was a combination of having to deal with the extra demands of Europe with regards to the extra games, travel and mentality, key players being injured and struggling to regain form as part of an overall underperforming team, and the manager making some mistakes and losing a bit of his mojo.

Doesn't help but it doesn't mean it can't be done. Its an excuse, no reason playing in Europe justifies us finishing 11th after improving on a squad that finished 5th....

2006-07 38 11 4 4 33 17 4 9 6 19 19 +16 58 6th
2007-08 38 11 4 4 34 17 8 4 7 21 16 +22 65 5th
2008-09 38 8 6 5 31 20 9 6 4 24 17 +18 63 5th
Includes a cup final I believe
That doesn't really prove anything other than that if you treat the EL as a competition to blood peripheral players and dont put everything into then a balance can be struck with PL performance.

My point has been that Martinez didn't do that and we paid the price as at least equal focus and energy was spent on each competition. If that hadn't have happened then we wouldn't have been so listless and finished 11th.

TBF to Martinez he recognises this:

“We benefited from that experience, and we want to be involved in Europe again. But I think doing it in stages is beneficial."

My point has been that Martinez didn't do that and we paid the price as at least equal focus and energy was spent on each competition. If that hadn't have happened then we wouldn't have been so listless and finished 11th.

To be fair to you Dave, you were saying this from very early on last season.

Myself and others disagreed with you, as we viewed it as a great opportunity to kill two birds.. (cup and CL.)

No idea what point I'm making tbh, just pointing out that you've stood by this belief since before the crisis in confidence with the manager began.

That doesn't really prove anything other than that if you treat the EL as a competition to blood peripheral players and dont put everything into then a balance can be struck with PL performance.

TBF to Martinez he recognises this:

“We benefited from that experience, and we want to be involved in Europe again. But I think doing it in stages is beneficial."
Do you honestly think that Everton didn't have a go at winning the 2008 Uefa Cup?

To be fair to you Dave, you were saying this from very early on last season.

Myself and others disagreed with you, as we viewed it as a great opportunity to kill two birds.. (cup and CL.)

No idea what point I'm making tbh, just pointing out that you've stood by this belief since before the crisis in confidence with the manager began.
Thanks mate. We got to early October and the PL form was ropey but the EL form was spot on. Add the fact RM is a novice in Europe and is ambitious to test himself against different systems and it was obvious we were paying way too much attention to the early stages. I actually think that's why we did so well in them: no other clubs were as committed in the group stage as us.

Next season (hopefully) he has to send out senior players not getting a game and a raft of kids who can try and impress in the group stages. As I said, he nearly lost his job last season and I cant see him falling into that trap again.

The biggest cause of our downfall was the Lower Gwladys demanding we play "Sammy Ets" because they have a 2005 Barca top and always signed him on FIFA while at the same time they mercilessly abused Ross Barkley and Lukaku destroying their confidence and our season with it.

why do all the bad men go in there?

The biggest cause of our downfall was the Lower Gwladys demanding we play "Sammy Ets" because they have a 2005 Barca top and always signed him on FIFA while at the same time they mercilessly abused Ross Barkley and Lukaku destroying their confidence and our season with it.

I still can't get my head around so many fans booing when Barkley played the ball back towards with Howard or Jagielka at 3-0 against QPR. We Lost 4 on the bounce in the league after that game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back