Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBH, I think Martinez took the gamble of playing it differently and with personnel in unorthodox positions feeling if it went wrong early on Reading were a team we could claw it back from.

I do still believe that - despite his words to the contrary - we're still at a stage of the LC when RM will experiment...which is why I said in the LC Draw thread that we need a home draw next up as it'll be required (lots of PL teams in the hat and a PL level performance will be required to get into the QFs...when RM will start to take this seriously).

And he should rest and rotate. I know a sectipn of our fanbase are desperate for us to win a trophy that no Everton manager has ever won or taken massively seriously. The top teams don't take it seriously. Sides who have won it, such as Boro, Birmingham and Blackburn have hardly used it as a springboard for success, in fact their prioritising it over league performances have been to their detriment.
Essentially it's the sort of competition you want to go out to early, or make it to the final rounds.

Martinez obviously prioritises having a squad and a continental style of management which involves rotation. With Moyes I always thought he struggled juggling bigger numbers with a squad and we reproduced our best form when we down to our "bare bones" so he could drill an 11. Part mof wanting a bigger squad though is the understanding that you don't just throw your best 11 out week in week out.

People are delighted now with the form of Browning & Galloway, but giving (Browning) expereince in last years Carling cup (and Garbutt) is central to improving our young players. The year before thats where he blooded Stones. They need exposure and to see their is an opportunity for them. Thats why I was slightly surprised not so see Pennington or Hollgate at right back last night. Nobody likes seeing weeker players, but we like the end results when you have a 40 million pound centre half in our team. In the end you don't get one without the other.

Good result in the end. As much as we want to win a cup, I don't mind Martinez experimenting in the earlier rounds in the league cup, especially against 'weaker' opposition. He will have learned a few things about certain players and some have been rested after playing 90 minutes only 3 days ago.

I'm happy that we've shown for the second time now that Martinez has the tactical nouse to change things when it's not working and we have a team with the character to come from behind and win. Obviously I'd prefer it if we didn't go behind in the first place, but it's very rarely that simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back