Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has to be judicious though. Maybe for the first two ties against Barnsley and Reading, because Wembley is so far off, it's been manageable without too much criticism to rotate - as long as the job was eventually done. Next round is a pivotal one in that respect. It seems most people would see the QFs as the time you get serious. However, we've invested a lot of time and effort into this run so far and meeting PL opposition away (good chance we'll meet PL opposition too) and employing an experimental starting line up would be met with a lot of resistance. Martinez is rehabilitated after last season in most people's eyes. If we went down without a decent team out from the off next round then he'd squander that. Hence my remark over political/pragmatic rather than tactical/methodological decision needing to triumph.

As said above: as long as we dont get an elite club at home then a home draw can be negotiated with rotation. Draw any of them home or away (or any other PL team away) and we really need to dispense with experimentation.

We tried to experiment away to a PL side last year and got fingered by Swansea in the 3rd round. I can't see that mistake being made again, at least I'd like to think not

He has to be judicious though. Maybe for the first two ties against Barnsley and Reading, because Wembley is so far off, it's been manageable without too much criticism to rotate - as long as the job was eventually done. Next round is a pivotal one in that respect. It seems most people would see the QFs as the time you get serious. However, we've invested a lot of time and effort into this run so far and meeting PL opposition away (good chance we'll meet PL opposition too) and employing an experimental starting line up would be met with a lot of resistance. Martinez is rehabilitated after last season in most people's eyes. If we went down without a decent team out from the off next round then he'd squander that. Hence my remark over political/pragmatic rather than tactical/methodological decision needing to triumph.

As said above: as long as we dont get an elite club at home then a home draw can be negotiated with rotation. Draw any of them home or away (or any other PL team away) and we really need to dispense with experimentation.

Well yes. I am not explicitly saying I agree with him, just giving what I think his motivations will be. I do think though, underneath it all Martinez always puts teams out that he thinks can win. The problem with him is that he is a huge optimist who can at times probably overstate the importance/ability of certain players (like Osman).

I hope we get someone like Liverpool at home to be honest. I think we would beat them and I think it would be a great catalyst for the season. IN all honesty I don't care who we get next, but I think the stronger the team we have to face the less rotation we will go with.

Whatever else he does, Martinez should certainly never go into a game without full-backs again. Last night's team selection and was enormously risky and we almost went out because of it.
Having said that, I think he is showing signs of becoming a lucky manager (Naismith v Chelsea for instance).
This bodes well.

Lucky.

Pffffft.
He didn't plan to play Naismith; Naismith then came on because of the injury to Besic and won the game. That's lucky, not planned.
Last night, he was forced to bring on a full back when Stones came off. This improved the balance of the team. That's lucky, not planned.
This is not really a criticism - all great managers have some luck - but as you think the sun shines out of Roberto's backside and won't tolerate anything but fulsome praise for him, I can see why you might be a tad touchy about my heretical comment.

He didn't plan to play Naismith; Naismith then came on because of the injury to Besic and won the game. That's lucky, not planned.
Last night, he was forced to bring on a full back when Stones came off. This improved the balance of the team. That's lucky, not planned.
This is not really a criticism - all great managers have some luck - but as you think the sun shines out of Roberto's backside and won't tolerate anything but fulsome praise for him, I can see why you might be a tad touchy about my heretical comment.
All I can see is someone who is grudging about the job done by Martinez.

You mention lucky substitutions like he put all the names of those on the bench into a hat and chose them out at random. Unreal. Why not just leave it at he chose the right squad to visit Reading and he got the job done?

You do the antagonistic polarising much better than I.

I was only setting @davek up for the dayshift with that bilge I just typed.

And that's exactly what it is - good on you for at least admitting it.

Others however just can't resist bumping this, win lose or draw, in order to have a bitch at others.

It's pathetic. There should be a warning in the title that it is not suitable for adults.

All I can see is someone who is grudging about the job done by Martinez.

You mention lucky substitutions like he put all the names of those on the bench into a hat and chose them out at random. Unreal. Why not just leave it at he chose the right squad to visit Reading and he got the job done?
Not grudging at all. Just don't share your blind acceptance as everything he does being not only faultless but part of a master plan. Yes, he picks the substitutes, but he also picks the starting eleven and I think he got that wrong last night.
I am a Martinez fan and I think he is the right man for the job but I think he still has things to learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back