Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
You think there are fans that wouldn't want us to win a cup?

There are definitely fans who buy into this sky 5 mentality that only the champions league and premier league are important, maybe FA cup at a stretch. Because that's what the media tells us.

Simply qualifying for the qualifying rounds of a competition you will never win is 'success'.

Luckily our manager doesn't buy into this absolute rubbish...

You think there are fans that wouldn't want us to win a cup?
look at when we go out, all the responses are 'mickey mouse cup, who cares, lets concentrate on the league' because 4th place apparently is more important than ACTUAL silverware. Ive been watching Everton for almost 15 years and Ive never seen us win anything. I dont care if its the Charity Shield, i want to see us win SOMETHING.

I have to take issue with that opening paragraph of your post.

No Everton manager has ever taken the League Cup "massively seriously"?

Billy Bingham, Steve Burtenshaw and Gordon Lee certainly did as they were the three men at the helm in the 1976/77 season which culminated in the Villa trilogy.

Not only did Howard Kendall "take it seriously" in 1984, but the League/Milk Cup run restored our fortunes and built the confidence which saw our young team embark on an unprecedented three year glory spell.

You cite the fact that "teams such as Boro, Birmingham and Blackburn" have won it as if it was some sort of proof that the "top teams don't take it seriously" when the reality is that in the last decade the League Cup has been won by Chelsea on three occasions, by United three times and once each by Spurs, Liverpool and Manchester City.

That is pretty much a comprehensive roll call of the "top teams" in this country.

Only Arsenal and Everton missing.

And it is still a mystery to all who watched the game how Arsenal lost to Birmingham the year the latter won it.

I might be old fashioned in an age when a beaten generation of Everton fans tends to link us to a group containing "Boro, Birmingham and Blackburn" but I tend to think of EFC as a "top club" which would indeed use a win in the League Cup as a "springboard for success".

IMO there is far too much snobbishness among people on this board about the League Cup.

Already it is exciting the fans and the Norwich tie will be a fantastic night at Goodison.

Thank goodness we have a manager whom will indeed "take it seriously"...,,..just like our most successful manager ever did back in 1984.

You are 100% right.

When our neighbours were a European powerhouse they took it seriously.

When Clough was at Forest in his hey day and they were playing in European cup finals he took it seriously.

F.A. Cup or League CUp? F.A. Cup any day but we can't be choosers. I would love to see Everton win a Cup final of any stripe.

State of this thread...

i7KPzoW.gif

Can't believe some fans these days (not just Evertonians) aren't bothered about winning a trophy. Give me that over a one off 4th placed finish any day.

I'd love to win the League cup. A trophy we haven't won too.

look at when we go out, all the responses are 'mickey mouse cup, who cares, lets concentrate on the league' because 4th place apparently is more important than ACTUAL silverware. Ive been watching Everton for almost 15 years and Ive never seen us win anything. I dont care if its the Charity Shield, i want to see us win SOMETHING.

Preferring the benefits of the CL over a cup win is very far from a fan not wanting us to win a cup.

I'd like us to get CL, so we can get further funds and start winning lots of cups with a superior team than we could get without the CL.. but I still want us to win a cup.

It seems Samuel E'too really did upset the applecart last season, the team seems bonded again. Something happened last year behind the scenes that had a major impact on the field.

That's the conclusion i am coming too. Even though it's early doors theres just a whole feel good factor around the place again. I like it.

It was Shane Duffy leaving

300x

Looks nice doesn't it...go on admit it...you know you want too.

The irony is, without all the amateur and non-league sides causing upsets, it's probably harder to win the League Cup than the FA Cup. You're being pitted against league sides only, and by round 4, more than likely to only draw PL or Champ sides. Yet the League Cup is pilloried as a joke tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back