Roberto Martinez Stadium drawing..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the club don't seem to have a strong leader in their marketing department with a vision for what they want to sell the club as and the power to carry it out. I don't have high hopes for this mural as a branding exercise, but I think that is it's intended purpose.

Knowing that lot they probably just had a few tins of emulsion left over from a job lot.

Marketing pushes really need to be very well coordinated and bought into. There are loads of ways to market Everton. The club doesn't seem to be sure how they want to go about it. But I do wonder if some of that has to do with the fans. It seems 90% of the time the club tries something new it's met with moaning about how it's something the Kopites would do, or how it's 'not Everton' or some such.

Maybe, but that could be turned around as not being capable of connecting with their core 'customer' base. We're not Liverpool and they dont have our sensibility nor us theirs. That's just a fact of life.

need to throw up a martinez billboard in times square a la joey harrington in the early 2000's

JOEY-HEISMAN.jpg

Maybe, but that could be turned around and as not being capable of connecting with their core 'customer' base. We're not Liverpool and they dont have our sensibility. That's just a fact of life.
Oh, I think it's the clubs fault.

They plan these things poorly and then give up quickly. Who would have a problem with this mural if in shadow around Roberto there were action paintings of Jags, Baines, Ross, Lukaku, and McCarthy?

Make it clear that it's about the manager and his team? Much better, much less cultish, same principle.

But after enough backlash this may come down and we'll never hear another word of it, and the fans will react the same way the next time something that initially fails to appeal to their sensibilities arises.

We need a proper marketing and PR department that, like Martinez himself, really tries to understand the soul of the club, and then uses that very thing as its brand.

This question of translating exposure into money: monetizing all this support in the U.S. in an interesting one. We do have evidence that the Everton fanbase is growing. A glance at the interest in GOT from US will tell you that. And all the various Everton Supporters Clubs all over the states with all the group members (and their kids) kitted out in the gear. Surely, there is money in all that for the club. As you say, the question is HOW you translate that into cash. But Roberto commentating in the US, Tim Howard's performance in the WC, even Landon's two loan spells: they have resulted in a growth in the US Everton fanbase. I've absolutely no doubt of that.
I'd hazard a guess and say that Everton are getting that boost because of the general interest in the MLS and USMNT and all things football now. I dont think there's any special growth brought about by EFC activity. If it has been then I'd like to see the relationship between that in statistical terms.

I'd hazard a guess and say that Everton are getting that boost because of the general interest in the MLS and USMNT now. I dont think there's any special growth brought about by EFC activity. If it has been then I'd like to see the relationship between that in statistical terms.
It's luck and the fact that Everton are an attractive brand to Americans(like Spurs and Arsenal).

Howard + Martinez + Donovan + WC + not monied/gloryhunter bait = loads of American fans.

We'd have more if the club did something to actually attract them.

Oh, I think it's the clubs fault.

They plan these things poorly and then give up quickly. Who would have a problem with this mural if in shadow around Roberto there were action paintings of Jags, Baines, Ross, Lukaku, and McCarthy?

Make it clear that it's about the manager and his team? Much better, much less cultish, same principle.

But after enough backlash this may come down and we'll never hear another word of it, and the fans will react the same way the next time something that initially fails to appeal to their sensibilities arises.

We need a proper marketing and PR department that, like Martinez himself, really tries to understand the soul of the club, and then uses that very thing as its brand.

Bottom line for me: if you win stuff, you sell stuff.

There's no short cut to the big bucks. You give people who dont get it something tangible to latch onto. If this club had the 1995 cup win right now we could do a lot more with that than a manager who's got a decent first season behind him.

I'd hazard a guess and say that Everton are getting that boost because of the general interest in the MLS and USMNT now. I dont think there's any special growth brought about by EFC activity. If it has been then I'd like to see the relationship between that in statistical terms.

That is certain Dave. If the club have not tapped into it, I will be furious. A once in a lifetime opportunity, with the planets aligned, and as far as I can see, zilch.

It would take hardly anything to do it either.

There's no short cut to the big bucks. You give people who dont get it something tangible to latch onto. If this club had the 1995 cup win right now we could do a lot more with that than a manager who's got a decent first season behind him.
Unquestionably true.

What is also true is that we can attract a lot more people and make them 'get it' by showing them the way, rather than expecting them to magically 'get it' when they aren't from L4.

Howard + Martinez + Donovan + WC + not monied/gloryhunter bait = loads of American fans.

We'd have more if the club did something to actually attract them.

I was going to photoshop Everton cheerleaders with massive tits but I'm all PS'd out. If you could imagine the picture in your head and give me a transient mind-like that would be great.

I agree that it's not a coordinated effort by the club, but I think it is an uncoordinated effect of personalities connected to the club. And it would be great if the club could find a way to capitalize on it. People who watched the world cup now know who Roberto Martinez is. They wouldn't otherwise. I know it's a REALLY crappy metric, but check out Tim Howard's followers on twitter. They follow him because of the WC and they often now follow Everton because he plays for that club. In LA, the appearance of Everton tops is very noticeable, precisely because there never ANY when I got here (7 years ago). It would be nice to have folks who are a bit more involved with these supporter's clubs weigh in, but perhaps this is discussion (the growth or not of EFC in the US) is probably better on another thread. I just think Roberto can potentially fit in with a branding campaign about Everton having a young squad full of promise (such a nice contrast to the previous "regime"). I know that this sense of change is largely false and you want more substantial real institutional change (so do I for that matter), but this is about an image not reality. And Roberto is a great part of why people are excited to start supporting EFC, rather than the much more established brands.

The media loves Martinez. Can't reject the Charismatic Catalan. Anyone noticed how we don't get half the crap from Sky/BBC that we used to after Martinez became our manager?

I think he's really raising the profile of the club and I can't blame the club for wanting to promote that. I think it'll be looking nice too. Make the stadium look something other than a giant bloody Anderson shelter.

I've seen a rising interest in PL football because the quality in MLS is lesser. People want to watch top quality "soccer" and readily find it in the PL (although BEIN is starting to show a hell of a lot of PSG games, so it looks like other leagues are making in-roads into US tv market as well). I think EFC activity has an impact on whether or not those new fans choose EFC over one of the other PL teams. Unfortunately, Everton hasn't really had much activity in the US compared to United and Liverpool.

That is certain Dave. If the club have not tapped into it, I will be furious. A once in a lifetime opportunity, with the planets aligned, and as far as I can see, zilch.

It would take hardly anything to do it either.

Some wreath laying according to LFC.

Agree to an extent but then how do you explain Spurs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back