Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess these quotes are all from the same press conference/interview?

It seems the very biggest names have been/are in for Lukaku, which means regardless of what Koeman says in the media, he's gone as long as they offer the right amount, but I'd still prefer him not to be quite so 'honest' about things like this in the media.

Let's hope his honesty and pragmatism delivers the results on the pitch required to have a hope of keeping Lukaku.
The thing is, I have no problem with Koeman being honest and saying what he thinks up to a point. The facts are, Rom is a very high quality goal scorer, he is attracting interest from more successful clubs and, for whatever reason, he hasn't committed to a new contract with us that only has 2 years left at the end of the season. Most of us realise that it is going to take a monumental effort to keep him beyond this season.

I'm happy for Koeman to acknowledge these facts, but what he should then be saying (even if it isn't what he truly believes) is that the club will do everything we possibly can to hold on to him longer, qualify for Champions league football and build a team around him. Not, he will go to a bigger club where he deserves to be, and that he should go with the fans blessing on the basis he has given us 4 years service during his development years.

The problem is, this is very much a European club mentality where this type of attitude is not just acceptable but absolutely the norm at all but the very top clubs. It was also acceptable at Southampton to a lesser degree.

What Koeman is mainly guilty of here is not understanding the club or it's fans. I'm sure there will be some form of backlash from this which hopefully he will learn from. Similar to Moshiri and his texting.

He's been here 4 seasons mate. No one came in last summer when it was expected. Why d'you think we're inevitably going to lose him now?

If he doesn't sign then we need to sell him this summer... if he stays next season without signing we might not even get the 28m we paid for him...

I think it probably reveals his own mind set that he sees us as a stepping stone. And, btw, that's an attitude he's been encouraged to take by the local media and by, indeed, many of our own fans.

If he achieves something here then he can do what he wants. He has it all to do though before he either starts touting our players or himself for pastures new.

I'm not very often 'the glass half full guy', but in the best case, we win stuff, he looks good - everyone's a winner. Timing however, is everything and his rumoured step up opportunities are limited, who's to say there will be a potential vacancy when he wants, where he would like?

Option 1; Winners are grinners...if there's no vacancies he may want/have to stay, which won't imo, be the end of the world in this scenario.
Option 1a; He could just walk away on a high note, take a year off and see what comes to pass
Option 2; Still WIP after 3 yrs...This is where the choice is a bit harder - for both sides.
Option 3; It all goes a Dutch shade of pale...well we stuck the other joker out for 3yrs

Disclaimer; Being Everton, what ever happens will be nothing at all like any of the above.

He's been here 4 seasons mate. No one came in last summer when it was expected. Why d'you think we're inevitably going to lose him now?

I think there were a few clubs in for him last summer. The club played a blinder by holding out for big price. Clubs didn't want to pay that much. A look back over this thread, especially at the back half of last season and then the Euros, he was getting plenty of criticism from our own fans. I suppose you could understand clubs baulking at the asking price. He'll have 2 years left on his contract this summer. There no way he'll sign a new one with us. He'll only sign one for us if there's a sensible release clause in it, similar to what the RS did with Bitey.

Sounds to me like all Koeman actually was doing is to try to gte the press to shelve all there stories about Lukaku leaving in January so as to not be a distraction during the season.

Unless you all really think he lets the media know all the ins and outs of every players contract etc

I'm not very often 'the glass half full guy', but in the best case, we win stuff, he looks good - everyone's a winner. Timing however, is everything and his rumoured step up opportunities are limited, who's to say there will be a potential vacancy when he wants, where he would like?

Option 1; Winners are grinners...if there's no vacancies he may want/have to stay, which won't imo, be the end of the world in this scenario.
Option 1a; He could just walk away on a high note, take a year off and see what comes to pass
Option 2; Still WIP after 3 yrs...This is where the choice is a bit harder - for both sides.
Option 3; It all goes a Dutch shade of pale...well we stuck the other joker out for 3yrs

Disclaimer; Being Everton, what ever happens will be nothing at all like any of the above.
He did a great job at S'ton for two seasons. But he got Everton in the end when I'm sure he must have thought Arsenal would be there on a plate. It wasn't. And no other top job was. I'd say that even Inter, who knew Mancini was on his way, would have shown no interest, preferring FDB as an ex-player and with a better CV (in their eyes).

He'll have to go some with us in the next two seasons for his status to improve to clubs of that stature. If he broke into the top 6 with S'ton then his objective here has to be a CL spot. If he does that he'll get his suitors.

Until that point all talk about him getting better than us and using us as a stepping stone is laughable. He hasn't earned it and everyone in the game knows it.

Funny how some clowns wanted to sell him in the summer now there is outcry because of Koeman saying one day he might be off, the international break will be pure comedy on this thread when the media publish the "leaked" quotes and imaginary links they forgot to publish last time he played for Belgium

He did a great job at S'ton for two seasons. But he got Everton in the end when I'm sure he must have thought Arsenal would be there on a plate. It wasn't. And no other top job was. I'd say that even Inter, who knew Mancini was on his way, would have shown no interest, preferring FDB as an ex-player and with a better CV (in their eyes).

He'll have to go some with us in the next two seasons for his status to improve to clubs of that stature. If he broke into the top 6 with S'ton then his objective here has to be a CL spot. If he does that he'll get his suitors.

Until that point all talk about him getting better than us and using us as a stepping stone is laughable. He hasn't earned it and everyone in the game knows it.

De Boer wasn't an ex Inter player and I dont think anyone wanted him. Koeman def a bigger name. Not that Inter would have paid for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back