Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no way he will be first choice at Chelsea while Costa is there, as Conte likes the pressing game and Rom just wont do it. Costa was hunting everything, holding the ball up brilliantly and his passing was accurate - put Rom in that team last night and they wouldnt have had that result. Plus they paid £33m for Batshuayi.

A case to look at is Sturridge, who has an impressive goals ratio too, yet Klopp has happily dropped him for a player who isnt even a striker because he wont put the work in or press like Klopp wants.

He will get goals wherever he goes but im still struggling to see where he will fit in unless he changes his game.

Without him we would be in deep trouble. We are very, very lucky to have him. The point i,s its the players we have around him are at best average....replace most of them with better quality and Rom and the team will get better and score more goals

It frustrates me endlessly when I keep reading people in here wanting him sold.

Tbf Kit, Romelu is almost unanimously lauded on here and practically considered untouchable. Some of us just don't consider goals to be enough. Over the last 12 years, we have finished a lot higher in the league with less talented squads and, crucially, without a 20+ goal-a-season striker, so it's not exactly groundbreaking to look past Rom's scoring and question his overall contribution to the team

Tbf Kit, Romelu is almost unanimously lauded on here and practically considered untouchable. Some of us just don't consider goals to be enough. Over the last 12 years, we have finished a lot higher in the league with less talented squads and, crucially, without a 20+ goal-a-season striker, so it's not exactly groundbreaking to look past Rom's scoring and question his overall contribution to the team
I'll disagree. And I even heard Phil Neville agree with me. Moyes' team had better players/ was a better team but had no world class finisher. I think with Rom we would have been regulars in the CL in Moyes' team.
I don't think I have seen a fan base overrate a squad in larger volumes than this. Who are our talented footballers with no "not quite right" issues? We need a major overhaul of the squad.
As for being 'unanimously lauded"? No way.

Respectfully mate, and of course your opinion counts, but I totally disagree with all that. You put Romelu in a team surrounded by quality footballers and he scores 35 goals.
It frustrates me endlessly when I keep reading people in here wanting him sold.
For nearly 3 decades we have had predominantly average, at best, footballers. We get one that is world class and Everton supporters want him sold.
Just staggering to me.
In my opinion, he's not a world class striker. There's a reason nobody really wanted him in the summer and I don't believe it was about his price tag (Juventus bought nearly 30 years old striker for 90M euro). At the very top you can't afford passengers like him in the team, it's not like that he'll stay in the box and just wait for great balls to come. If you are a striker and play in a top club you need to work your socks off, make space for others and occupy defenders so other players can have time and space to feed you.

Of course goals are the main reason you rate a striker, but there's much more than that.

Football people will look at him and think boss slotter but not much else. Top teams expect more than that so the line looking to buy him in the Summer will be shorter than people think imo. PSG would be my bet, one horse league where he can just slot.

In my opinion, he's not a world class striker. There's a reason nobody really wanted him in the summer and I don't believe it was about his price tag (Juventus bought nearly 30 years old striker for 90M euro). At the very top you can't afford passengers like him in the team, it's not like that he'll stay in the box and just wait for great balls to come. If you are a striker and play in a top club you need to work your socks off, make space for others and occupy defenders so other players can have time and space to feed you.

Of course goals are the main reason you rate a striker, but there's much more than that.

Fully agree. Another case is Aguero who imo is world class and would walk into nearly every team in the world, yet Guardiola dropped him because he didnt work hard enough off the ball.

"I don't want Sergio to run too much without the ball - I don't want him running 40 metres without the ball - but four, five, six seconds' effort, he can do that.

"When I see one player not go to the press, what I feel is they don't want to play. They don't want the ball. They prefer the ball for the opponent. I don't like that".

The game is so fast and demanding these days, that the best managers can see its not just a case of getting the best players and winning, you have to work hard and rely on the quality to be the difference. If he's demanding that from a world class player, why are we happy to see Rom score goals and thats that?

These top teams that he wants to join (Chelsea/City/Bayern/Barca) all have managers who demand hard work first and foremost- they all play the pressing game which Rom doesnt do and im sure they can all see this.

"I think he can emulate Patrick Kluivert, who also rose to prominence at a young age and enjoyed a fantastic career," Koeman told HLN. "He eventually played for Barcelona and I can see Lukaku doing the same.

"Everton should normally not be the end for him. Romelu will not have made the most of his career if he plays for Everton for the remainder of his career. He has the potential to play for a bigger club than Everton, but nobody knows what will happen after this season. We have a good relationship."

Funny how some clowns wanted to sell him in the summer now there is outcry because of Koeman saying one day he might be off, the international break will be pure comedy on this thread when the media publish the "leaked" quotes and imaginary links they forgot to publish last time he played for Belgium

Not really funny though s it? Have you considered that the "clowns" and the people causing an " outcry" might be two seperate groups of people on a forum with differing opinions ? :)

"I think he can emulate Patrick Kluivert, who also rose to prominence at a young age and enjoyed a fantastic career," Koeman told HLN. "He eventually played for Barcelona and I can see Lukaku doing the same.

"Everton should normally not be the end for him. Romelu will not have made the most of his career if he plays for Everton for the remainder of his career. He has the potential to play for a bigger club than Everton, but nobody knows what will happen after this season. We have a good relationship."

He said that? Honestly? I have have now firmly changed to the ... get koeman away from Everton camp.... that's disgusting talk from a manager ...

He said that? Honestly? I have have now firmly changed to the ... get koeman away from Everton camp.... that's disgusting talk from a manager ...

Truthful though isn't it. Lukaku is too good for Everton and we're lucky to have him here. However, he still lacks the desire to make it in to the Suarez, Aguero category which I reckon he thinks he is already close to. His poor attitude in certain games has shown that.

And that is the reason why none of the bigger clubs that he wants to play for like Bayern Munich and Barcelona have been willing to stump up the big money for him, as good as he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back