Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
No Tubes, hes ignoring the 130k a week contract thats been sitting on a table for months out of love for Everton.

Hes more than happy to play for 85k a week.

He's also ignoring Lukaku himself saying he wanted out in the summer but the club said no.

He wants out, under no feasible circumstance will he be here next season.

He's also ignoring Lukaku himself saying he wanted out in the summer but the club said no.

He wants out, under no feasible circumstance will he be here next season.

We shall see - without going into the vaults I recall similar conversations last year.

@MoutsGoat I suspect the sell on clauses are causing difficulty in the offered contract.

I am so, so glad people noticed this (finally).

It happens all the time. He has the ball and a Conference standard striker would distribute it; hence why the team joins the attack, reasonably expecting a chance to come up.

But he gives it away unbelievably easy and we're countered.

And that's Lukaku. Every game, over and over again, and that's why we look horrible going forward.

That bolded bit's miles off. They usually hoof it to him at head height or roll it into him while he's man-marked and stand and watch him, something Barkley particularly seems to enjoy. Lukaku's finishing often puts gloss on less than excellent build-up play and takes pressure off the distinctly average forwards he plays alongside. The idea that he's regularly picking the ball up in space with runners to pick out or indeed any good option to offload the ball at all simply isn't true.

We look crap going forward because Koeman has yet to firstly get his players in and secondly find a system that he can get to work consistently with what he has at his disposal.

It really wouldn't matter much who we had playing the lone striker role over the last couple of months. They'd still have lost the ball countless times because our attacking unit has been appallingly poor, largely due to the bang average (at best) performances of players who are supposed to be good on the ball and are supposed to be building attacks and creating chances. No doubt Lukaku has to take some responsibility there as well, but the likes of Bolasie, Barkley, Deulofeu and Lennon clearly have a lot more to answer for given their role in the team.

Of the attacking players in our squad, only one has, overall, done his job well this season: Lukaku - 9 goals and 3 assists from 14 games. That, incredibly, is more assists than Barkley, Deulofeu and Mirallas have managed between them in the league this season.

But of course there will always be 5 or 6 posts slating Lukaku for losing the ball in a situation most players would for every one criticising e.g. Deulofeu for inexplicably running the ball out of play or misplacing a 5 yard pass, unchallenged.

Definitely, a good window now and early business in the summer and we can retain Lukaku.

Mate theres no chance in hell Lukaku stays for next season, none whatsoever.

In Fact If he does stay it's because Moshiri point blank refuses to sell him, meaning he will end up going into a situation of approaching one year left on his contract, which would actually scare me how poor a business decision that would be to make as it would cost us a huge amount.

In short - we took too lng to sack the former manager - losing a chance of a cup as a result
We allowed our current manager to treat it like he was doing us a favour to manager us, rather than a simple take it or leave it and turn up form work on the monday and get stuck in - rather than enjoy your holidays etc - an attitude which IMO anyway has undermined him - how can you be a strict disciplinarian when you have a half arsed part time attitude to managing
We looked inept all summer in transfer dealings, and releases to Jim White during and subsequently have actually made that situation a lot worse

Why will Lukaku stay, we will not be bringing in top top level players - we tried and failed to do that during the summer, what has changed?
we will almost certainly finish outside of the european placves (at best) this summer, so exactly why would he stay after a third consecutive season of mid table mediocrity where only his goals have stopped a possible relegation battle for the team?

We won't be signing 5-6 starting calibre players of top 6 calibre in January, we may get a couple in who as we showed during the summer, will rapidly get dragged down by the dross around them an a intransient manager

Moshir made a top top manager his priority, but did we truly get one, or much like Sissoko who we also pursued - did we get someone who was overated and whose flaws we overlooed because they had good press and hype about them?

We shall see - without going into the vaults I recall similar conversations last year.

@MoutsGoat I suspect the sell on clauses are causing difficulty in the offered contract.

The contract offered has been on the table for at least 8 weeks.

I suspect he is pricing himself into a move as we were hell bent on keeping him.
18 months left on deal is a great bargaining position for him and agent.

Not at all. Our aim should be to bring in a striker to build around Ross Barkley and see if he has the talent a lot of us think he does.

The problem with our side right now is that it has been slapped together with no plan. We never had a plan for Lukaku - we didn't even focus on him initially, we wanted Ba from Chelsea. We've never brought in a playmaker or a second striker to compliment him. There's no point building around him now - just get rid and go with another plan.

At that time we had a bit of stature...right now we dont, see this summer.

And with the current manager, building around Barkley is never going to happen.

Honestly feel when he goes, we'll just stay mediocre.

20 goals a season should never be dismissed.

Last edited:
Interesting how rom divides opinion, I'm firmly in the he's not all he's cracked up to be camp and I don't go along with the "where would we be without his goals" comments, probably higher up the table if he did the things expected of a top class all round striker. I liken it to our last championship winning team of 87 and the 85 one (I was fortunate enough to see both)it contained a couple of strikers who, it could be said, were not prolific goal scorers but had everything, aerial ability(inside & outside the box) great hold play and awareness of others which made for a great "team" who shared the goals amongst themselves. In between those 2 teams we had a prolific striker with a poor first touch and poor general play, that season we changed our style of play to suit his goal scoring instincts and unfortunately we were left empty handed.

Reactions: JLW
The problem here is that we don't have good players to back him up. When he moves to the summer he will move to a club surrounded by good players. He will then score 30 plus goals a season ..every season. We will be left with average players and an average forward if we can get one in and will be less well off without him no matter what system we at. It's a pity we didn't get 3 or 4 proper players last summer but the delayed sacking of martinez limited our options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back