Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arsenal definitely have the money.

They are also just as likely to get CL as United or as City.

They would have every chance if they went for him.

They're winning nothing anytime soon though, and are as likely as anything about to hit 5 years or so of post-wenger turmoil. Oh and they might lose Sanchez and Ozil in the summer which would leave Rom looking at playing alongside world-class players such as, er, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Coquelin.

Reactions: JLW
We could well do, more likely is a new contract with get out clauses for the following summer - bigger payoff for riaola and its obvious another season here will jusr raise his stock further for when he did move - bigger payoff for riaola again.
Next summer is WC summer. I think all parties will want to avoid that scenario of leaving/buying in that window.

I'm with Dave on this one. If Rom won't sign a new deal by the summer we may have to sell him as his value could halve over the following 12 months. I don't care what anybody argues, we aren't that rich yet where we can afford to throw away £35/40m.

I don't agree with Dave that Rom re-signing is a forlorn hope. I believe he's keeping his options open and still am hopeful he will stay.

I think a lot goes on behind the scenes that we are not privy to, it's only when the relationship completely breaks down that players hang out for their contract end, as in the car of Berahino. If we play this right (and form suggests we won't), we may get him to sign a bumper deal and agree to one more season on the basis we make CL and no doubt honour a few other promises, otherwise he can be off for an agreed number. The only cause for optimism is that he is still with us, seems to enjoy working with Ron and has a few decent friendships within the club, but I very much doubt that will hold sway if someone offers him £200k per week, CL or no CL, it's about money.

Then we sell him in the following summer, for a much reduced price, but one ultimately that the clubs after him would be willing to pay mate, otherwise the only option is a year earlier we sell him for a reduced price to attract a buyer, which makes little sense. See the situation at arsenal for exactly that scenario with Ozil and Sanchez
I think we hit that "one more season" point last summer mate. I believe we have an understanding in place already. Time will tell, but I see this as his last season here.

Then we sell him in the following summer, for a much reduced price, but one ultimately that the clubs after him would be willing to pay mate, otherwise the only option is a year earlier we sell him for a reduced price to attract a buyer, which makes little sense. See the situation at arsenal for exactly that scenario with Ozil and Sanchez
See your point mate but you would need 2 or more teams to create an auction situation. I still think, even in this scenario, players going for a lot less than they would have.

Plus their scenarios are different. Neither player has expressed an interest to move as far as Im aware. Its more about money. I think we all accept that with Rom its all about ambition not money. If we force his hand we may be left with an unmotivated player on our hands and we all witnessed last season what that entails.

We're nowhere near rich or powerful enough to play that game. IMO.

I think a lot goes on behind the scenes that we are not privy to, it's only when the relationship completely breaks down that players hang out for their contract end, as in the car of Berahino. If we play this right (and form suggests we won't), we may get him to sign a bumper deal and agree to one more season on the basis we make CL and no doubt honour a few other promises, otherwise he can be off for an agreed number. The only cause for optimism is that he is still with us, seems to enjoy working with Ron and has a few decent friendships within the club, but I very much doubt that will hold sway if someone offers him £200k per week, CL or no CL, it's about money.
I agree with all that spart from last line. I think with Rom ambition>money. If it wasnt we'd just offer a bumper deal with buy out clause and be done with it.

If he does go, it'll be the biggest waste of talent we've had since Rooney. Will be a shame to watch him bag 200 goals for someone else. Would love to see him get 100PL goals whilst still here.

He looks really close to Koeman, so that's a positive as is the fact his agent said it was close (99%?) the biggest problem we will have is if he looks at how much times he's wasted here in 14/15 and 15/16 under Martinez. That'd be the killer. If this was his first season in a 5 year deal and under Koeman and we were performing to the current level this would be a non issue.

The last two years are solely to blame if he goes, not this season, not Moshiri and not Koeman.

We shall see though. I reckon he will be here next year and on a new and improved contract, I was surprised to see Costa was on 'only' £150k P/W surely we could fork this out for Lukaku?
Hope so mate. Think he needs to believe the clubs commitment and ability to achieve UCL football pretty quickly.

Another plus point us the more positive comments coming out of his agents big mouth since the summer. We know ge tends to hokd

See your point mate but you would need 2 or more teams to create an auction situation. I still think, even in this scenario, players going for a lot less than they would have.

Plus their scenarios are different. Neither player has expressed an interest to move as far as Im aware. Its more about money. I think we all accept that with Rom its all about ambition not money. If we force his hand we may be left with an unmotivated player on our hands and we all witnessed last season what that entails.

We're nowhere near rich or powerful enough to play that game. IMO.

That's the thing though mate, I don't think those clubs able to pay 70m will bid that anyway, so keeping him a year longer won't actually matter, we'd lose money only in theory as it's not like we will be rejecting those 70m bids

Hope so mate. Think he needs to believe the clubs commitment and ability to achieve UCL football pretty quickly.

Another plus point us the more positive comments coming out of his agents big mouth since the summer. We know ge tends to hokd
Damn iphone. We know his agent tends to have a lot of influence over his cluents and he appears to have bought into Mosh's plans.

That's the thing though mate, I don't think those clubs able to pay 70m will bid that anyway, so keeping him a year longer won't actually matter, we'd lose money only in theory as it's not like we will be rejecting those 70m bids
Do you not think that when Rom realises that, then he'll sign a new contract anyway. Especially given his agent has previously intimated the same view you just posted.

Won't be leaving for less the 70 mil. Only team he might go to is Chelsea, the rest are no goes.

Arsenal won't pay it
Utd are buying Grizemsn
Man City have Aguero and Jesus
R/s Spurs can't afford him
Barca can't afford him, selling to up Messi contract
AThletic can't afford him
Bayern won't pay it.
PSG possibly, might not be in CL
RM again possible but there buying Lewendoski(spelling)

Leaves Chelsea have CL and the money. Will they pay it? Possibly

I think we hit that "one more season" point last summer mate. I believe we have an understanding in place already. Time will tell, but I see this as his last season here.

Any agreement would have been I guess around the line of - if someone meets x evaluation then we won't stop you leaving, if that evaluation is around the 70m Mark then all we've mentioned still doubts mate, his worth to our team exceeds his,worth to those who would want him,

We aren't talking barca or Madrid coming after him mate which will turn any player, the names getting thrown around are the level bekow.

Unless the players been spewing forth rubbish the past 5 years then it's about ambition at the very top which instantly rules out psg if that's true.

Very few of the top teams will give him a undisputed number one role, pay 70m, be able to offer him the strength of league and Europe he wants and have a manager who we system suits his abilities.

Some brilliant players stayed at clubs you'd be shocked at for how long over the years, for a variety of reasons, sometimes it's that simple. If pep wouldn't have got the city job there's a huge chance stones would still be here for example, sometimes it's just about options being available.

The fee we paid. How well he's played. And the way subsequently the transfer prices have skyrocketed all combined have made it exceptionally hard for lukaku to move from us.

Reactions: gez
Do you not think that when Rom realises that, then he'll sign a new contract anyway. Especially given his agent has previously intimated the same view you just posted.

If I was a betting man, would bet he'll sign a fat contract which has a clause that should we fail to meet a certain goal next seaon - cl etc then he can leave for a reduced fee to a cl team 55-60m or someting the end of that season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back