Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was just thinking about Rom and him re-signing to play for us for another couple of years. I think it's a combination of him liking the way Everton is going at the moment AND it having been decided to be the best thing for his career. He wants to win league titles and CLs and I expect he will more than once in his career. However, he's only 23, and where would he make the jump to right now? He's best served by improving here, where the pressure isn't as intense as at a Bayern/Madrid, and being in the perfect position to make a massive transfer and be the star striker for one of those teams in two years time.

At the start of the 19/20 season, Lewandowski will be 31, Aguero will be 31, Suarez will be 32, Benzema will be 31, Costa will be 30, Higuain will be 31. The market for top class strikers will be absolutely huge. Rom will be 26 and perfectly placed to slot in at his absolute prime.
And we'll be reigning English Premier League champions and second favourites for the CL after reaching the semis the season before and having just brought Antione Griezmann in from Manchester United on a club record fee. If Rom's going anywhere it's because he can't hold down a starting place:)

One can dream.

Great news that his agent has definitively said that he'll sign a new deal. He's a key part of our development as if he went in the summer we'd not be able to attract a replacement who was of the same calibre.

If he does sign then it's a clear signal that he believes that we're intent on a genuine assault on the top 4 next year.
Just seen that on SSN.

Ronnie didn't seem very happy about it though. I'd be doing cartwheels around the studio.

Maybe he's waiting until he signs the dotted line. Encouraging though as you say.

Down side is that there will most likely be a buy out clause in there which means I somebody pays the price and Ron wants to go, there's not a great deal we can do abut it. But realistically, that was always going to be the case anyway, buy out clause or not.

Just seen that on SSN.

Ronnie didn't seem very happy about it though. I'd be doing cartwheels around the studio.

Maybe he's waiting until he signs the dotted line. Encouraging though as you say.

Down side is that there will most likely be a buy out clause in there which means I somebody pays the price and Ron wants to go, there's not a great deal we can do abut it. But realistically, that was always going to be the case anyway, buy out clause or not.
Hopefully it doesn't kick in until after next season would give us time to prove to rom so he might stay long term

Regarding the captaincy, I think neither a striker or a goalkeeper are best positioned on the pitch to captain a team.

IMO a captain needs to be a central midfielder or a defender, preferably a central defender.

But that's just me.

I always thought Cantona and Shearer were good captains, as were Schmeichel and Dino Zoff

I think ultimately it depends if the player is up to it or not, regardless of position

For me, making Rom captain would be essentially saying to him "This is your team, lead by example"

He might not be right for it as others as said, but I wouldn't rule him out completely. I think he'd relish the responsibility

Sorry mate, was just amazed someone thought Rom would end up losing money by not signing before the Summer.
I don't understand these players contracts mate so can you answer this question for me please.

Just say for instance Rom is on £80k pw on his current contract. On 1/12 2016 we offered him a new contract worth £150k pw. If he signed that new contract today, presumably he would start getting paid £70k pw extra. If he didn't sign that contract until the summer, would he start receiving the salary increase then or would it be backdated to the date it was originally drawn up?

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back