Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kane has 14 league goals, to Lukakus 16.

3 or 4 of them were penalties.

Kane is a great striker, but he's not on Lukaku's level imo.

I'm sure Kane has scored 5 penalties this season. But to say he is not on Lukaku's level is debatable. Kane's scoring record is better than Lukaku's in terms of goals to games, although I would argue that if Kane played for us, and Lukaku played for Spurs, Lukaku would have an even more impressive record than Kane's for Spurs now.

The player is at the peak of his powers, we don't need lists & stats to tell us why he is good, we know that.

The player is constantly courting Champions League clubs, if a pay-rise isn't his real goal, how can we possibly "hang on to him" if there is a call from a CL club come the end of the season?

Raising this and pondering the what-if does not equate to "he's rubbish anyway, get rid".

I'm sure Kane has scored 5 penalties this season. But to say he is not on Lukaku's level is debatable. Kane's scoring record is better than Lukaku's in terms of goals to games, although I would argue that if Kane played for us, and Lukaku played for Spurs, Lukaku would have an even more impressive record than Kane's for Spurs now.

Very much debatable, but that's the side of the debate i'd be on. I think Kane is more limited as a player.

The player is at the peak of his powers, we don't need lists & stats to tell us why he is good, we know that.

The player is constantly courting Champions League clubs, if a pay-rise isn't his real goal, how can we possibly "hang on to him" if there is a call from a CL club come the end of the season?

Raising this and pondering the what-if does not equate to "he's rubbish anyway, get rid".

Very well put pal!
Just because you question certain parts of his game/what may happen if he leaves. Does not mean you a)think he is crap or b)think we should get rid

Reactions: Sy-

100% without a doubt. The service from Alli/Eriksen, Lamela and co. would get him pushing 30 a season.

True but scroll back and you'll find people trying to make out that his presence in the team actually damages us. Which is beyond ridiculous.

Because Tubes, he's an absolute beast who people want to discard like we could simply go and buy someone at a similar, if not better level. It's wrong.

With all due respect to both you and Romelu, I reject this notion entirely.

Football is the biggest sport in the world. I refuse to accept the idea that there are fewer than 20 or so strikers between the age of 17-25 who are naturally talented enough to consistently finish among the top 5 goal scorers in the Premier League.

Finding and developing talent isn't easy. But the best organizations in any field find ways to do it on a regular basis. If Everton can't do that they don't deserve to return to the top of English football.

The reason he is still here is because there are only around 5/6 clubs in world football that can afford him. When they need to replace their own star strikers, or whenever he is the finished article, they will come calling.

You have to do some serious contorting to claim that Lukaku "damages us". I don't know how anyone can seriously hold that opinion. Especially this season, the whole myth about him having nothing to his game except goalscoring is proving to be just that. A myth.

Quite sad really how some people won't realise what we've got until hes gone.

He damages our ability to get the ball forward and make it stick as a cohesive unit. That's what I mean by damaging us; and it isn't a myth, it's still being played out. He could score 30 goals and wouldn't make any difference to that issue; they are two completely separate things, as he could score two a game and we'd lose 3-2 because he'd be anonymous beyond popping up twice.

People realise what he is, and that's why some people like myself would rather we played to his strengths rather than his weaknesses, or if we are to continue playing to his weaknesses, then bring someone in who that play would be a strength to instead and thus improve the whole side.

Let me put it as bluntly as I can - he's the second highest goalscorer in the league right now, in between Costa and Sanchez, yet those two players are multitudes better footballers than Lukaku. Chelsea and Arsenal would be mental to replace either with Lukaku, because the entire flow of their side would be changed and they'd become porous at the back as a result. That's why Lukaku is not at a top team - not because only a few clubs can afford him, but because those clubs don't see the point in spending that much on what would be a liability in how they play. Top clubs play from back to front; Lukaku, sadly, doesn't have that in his game consistently enough, and that's true not just at the top level but at the level we are at too.

Our best hope is one of two options - we either build around him and develop a top side in a way completely unlike every other top club currently in the world, or we get top dollar for him from a club more rich than smart and build around Barkley. If we can get £60-70m for Lukaku, I really wouldn't mind the latter, but if we really could get a system where Lukaku scores and isn't responsible for taking the ball to feet and holding play up in the final third, then that'd be fantastic too.

Football is the biggest sport in the world. I refuse to accept the idea that there are fewer than 20 or so strikers between the age of 17-25 who are naturally talented enough to consistently finish among the top 5 goal scorers in the Premier League.

Finding and developing talent isn't easy. But the best organizations in any field find ways to do it on a regular basis. If Everton can't do that they don't deserve to return to the top of English football.

So your saying its easy to find a player that scores 20+ goals a season?

God damn it, if only somebody had said at sometime in the last 20 years, we wouldnt have had to put up with The Yak and Rom.

Sorry J, they're aren't many and we have the best there is for that range.

He damages our ability to get the ball forward and make it stick as a cohesive unit. That's what I mean by damaging us; and it isn't a myth, it's still being played out. He could score 30 goals and wouldn't make any difference to that issue; they are two completely separate things, as he could score two a game and we'd lose 3-2 because he'd be anonymous beyond popping up twice.

People realise what he is, and that's why some people like myself would rather we played to his strengths rather than his weaknesses, or if we are to continue playing to his weaknesses, then bring someone in who that play would be a strength to instead and thus improve the whole side.

Let me put it as bluntly as I can - he's the second highest goalscorer in the league right now, in between Costa and Sanchez, yet those two players are multitudes better footballers than Lukaku. Chelsea and Arsenal would be mental to replace either with Lukaku, because the entire flow of their side would be changed and they'd become porous at the back as a result. That's why Lukaku is not at a top team - not because only a few clubs can afford him, but because those clubs don't see the point in spending that much on what would be a liability in how they play. Top clubs play from back to front; Lukaku, sadly, doesn't have that in his game consistently enough, and that's true not just at the top level but at the level we are at too.

Our best hope is one of two options - we either build around him and develop a top side in a way completely unlike every other top club currently in the world, or we get top dollar for him from a club more rich than smart and build around Barkley. If we can get £60-70m for Lukaku, I really wouldn't mind the latter, but if we really could get a system where Lukaku scores and isn't responsible for taking the ball to feet and holding play up in the final third, then that'd be fantastic too.

You're entitled to your opinion, and I agree with some of your post, but I think you and many others go grossly over the top about his overall play. He has come on leaps and bounds in that regard. It's a myth that he offers nothing except for goals. I'll stand by that.

Anyway, you aren't going to change your opinion on Rom as a player so i'll agree to disagree.

Reactions: DRM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back