Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big clubs go through this.
Another sign for me that we're moving in the right direction.
It's wrong that modern football is run by and dictated by agents and players.
But to be successful Clubs have to handle that and supporters need to relax.
If he finishes top scorer this season and we haven't won anything and he leaves what have we lost. Would rather have winners and players that want to achieve with us and not just achieve for themselves.
All clubs are working to find that balance.
But be honest - if someone said 2 years ago that we'd have the top scorer in the league dangling us for a new contract, whilst we wait with baited breath for news of a new shiny stadium on the Dock, haven't outspent all of the top 6 in the last transfer window - We'd have all bitten their hand off.

Honestly, this was so so expected - I mean, the media spinning it this way and all of a sudden.

Nevertheless, I think Rom will sign

As a bad a PR exercise on both sides that I can recall since the Gerrard to Chelsea contract situation. Not sure either the Club, his agent or the player come out of this with any credit.[/QUOTE]

I think the club comes out of this favourably. We have stood by what we said we would offer and have not been pushed around by his agent leaking snippets to the press of 99.9999% done to excite the fanbase and pressure the club. The club have stood firm for once. Situation is dead easy he doesnt want to be here he has constantly made suggestions about leaving and thats also fair enough. Tell him straight the contract is now withdrawn your going in the summer, thanks for your efforts and all the best, highest bidder We move on

That's some subtle negotiating strategy: sign or we'll tell the world that you're a mercenary and want to leave us.

As said: blood in the water now.

Summer this lad will be gone, regardless of what face saving nonsense they cobble together from this point, and I wouldn't blame Lukaku one little bit.

We will probably have to agree to disagree, his agent is no fool, and I don't for a second think this is any more than a game at this point...
I also still don't see where he realistically goes? I don't think anyone sees him going for less than 60M. But even at that "low" figure, does he actually play for any of those clubs? What are the realistic targets where Rom will play week in week out and who will pay 60M+? I think if you look at the 2 Spanish clubs who could pay it as an example, money isn't an issue, they would just as soon he play here for 2-3 more years and learn his trade, and they wouldn't care if they then had to pay 80-90M for him, they would take him in his prime knowing at any time they come calling, they could basically have him....so no urgency for them now to bid.

Cheers Lou - just read most recent posts on here so must have missed that - hadn't realised that's how we now conduct our business while the OS is silent! Still a sad situation that is being played out in public - needs certainty and by that I don't mean via the Yellow Tie Sky Man.

Cheers Lou - just read most recent posts on here so must have missed that - hadn't realised that's how we now conduct our business while the OS is silent! Still a sad situation that is being played out in public - needs certainty and by that I don't mean via the Yellow Tie Sky Man.

The stadium 'news' will be that we have agreed a fee for land - no real news at all; the Lukaku contract should it be signed will result in him leaving this summer or next.

Dave give it a rest ffs, actual kopites who come on here wind blues up less than a so called "passionate evertonian" such as yourself.

He's as easy to sign up as was Bale and Suarez oh and Ronaldo, he's too good for us right now best we can hope for is £70 million in the Transfer window and Koeman reinvests it wisely.

Moshiri has offered wages higher than any club outside the top 5 pay (more than what Kane is on at Spurs) and he and his agent are playing the game for a release clause.

Moving forward our best hope is announce the stadium asap, spend a wedge in the summer and do well in Europe and we'll move on from Rom as we done when Rooney left.

There will be a positive statement before then. But the underlying direction is still going to be there: he's offski.

No one has actually mentioned this or even thought this but surely he has a release clause in his current contract. Looks like the club is desperate for him to sign to up the amount. I might be wrong but if he signs he may be more loyal than we think.

His only competitor is now out injured for a while...

Aguero will bang them in as usual. Costa is hungry to win the league - and Sanchez is still up there.

Lukaku I'm expecting after this will go off form again and not score for a while. Hope I'm wrong.

It's very difficult for both parties if Lukaku signs he get higher wages but his options for a big move is more or less gone if the 90m realease clause is true, from the clubs side it's no point having the same realease clause which he has now (60m if true) and paying more wages from now for him to go within the next year that's just money down the drain. A compromise needs to be reached say 75m clause, only time will tell. But there are other 20 goals a season players out there and if need be we will find one, just relax its only football.

To be honest the whole thing smacks of the time there was a public and press discussion about Gerrard leaving for Chelsea - offended fan hysteria - limited facts - big story.

In that one, there was real interest from another Club and emotions ran high due to him being local and (arguably) loyal once he got what he wanted.

I'd love Lukaku to stay - perhaps our no show at Spurs tipped a balance - not sure, but for one thing, for a bloke who says he leaves all matters contractually in the hands of his agent he has a spectacular ability to talk about his future. If I was in his shoes and as good as he's become, I don't blame him wanting that bit of success that marks out a great career...I'd want it to be with us but it takes a special character to combine patience, loyalty and consistent brilliance to a single club. It makes them legends.

The disappointing bit from me is the lack of official statements - if he wants out - tell us and we move on. If you say you leave to your agent, let the little fat lad tell us his 99% nonsense. If you're signing, do it. Needs bringing to a conclusion one way or the other.

As a bad a PR exercise on both sides that I can recall since the Gerrard to Chelsea contract situation. Not sure either the Club, his agent or the player come out of this with any credit.
Good post....but cant blame the club at all here mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back