Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why? From a PR bit via Jim W or him wanting to go? For me, if we now do all our key output via JW and his relationship via Moshiri it's a limited response. If we are publicly responding to media reports he is leaving, do it via the OS, social media and front up to Sky/BBC.

If your why is about him wanting to go -I probably get why he may want to leave Everton but I'd prefer a similar public approach - let me hear the words, not via a leak or selective quotes - he has been on camera saying he leaves contracts to his little fat 10% man.

What I'd want is certainty of the position and it's a fair call if you're a fan. Without facts it's all subjective.

Frustrating thing Is had we signed Gabbiadini for £15 million I wouldn't be as near worried about Rom leaving as we would have another forward scoring goals. Koeman/Walsh need to spend right in the summer. £65-75 million for Rom would give us the finance you would imagine to sign 2 good strikers. One HAS to be a proven goalscorer in this league- Giroud/Austin/Benteke and the other can be a "risk" signing that could barely big rewards- Lacazette/Dolberg/Batshuyai/Martial etc

He's not just a football player, he's a commodity.

His agent will want at least 3 big money moves out of him before the end of his career.
That should be worth at least £30m for him.

Also, despite us offering a reported £140k per week, Man Utd and Chelsea would give him £200k+ and I'm sure his agent is aware of that, too.

As soon as I saw the 99.9999% quote, I knew Raiola was taking the Michael.
It's the same as a manager's vote of confidence.
Humbuggery of the highest order.

That's football, I suppose.

But we are Everton. We're bigger than any player and we'll move on.

It's worth remembering we won the league either side of Lineker's season with us as well.
Well said , I remember a lot of people upset when we sold Lineker , then went and promptly won the league !

Just dont sell him to a UK side as hearing his name every week would be a killer, MOTD having a love him for him, Talk Sport going on about him now he is at a "top 4 side" flog him to Spain, get some serious coin for him, just hope he can get a winner at Anfield as a going away present for us

The other telltale sign was that nonsense last week about the contract being "agreed" and just needed signing.

To unapologetically use a pun, many of us posted in this very thread that the writing was on the wall.

FFS did no bugger in the room gave a pen?
Contracts mean nothing nowadays Lukaku needs the willpower to stay here , but he has warned us for 2 seasons he wants Champion League football - if he wants out its sad , but no give away like the wayne Rooney transfer if pogba was 90 million Lukaku is 100 million +

Just dont sell him to a UK side as hearing his name every week would be a killer, MOTD having a love him for him, Talk Sport going on about him now he is at a "top 4 side" flog him to Spain, get some serious coin for him, just hope he can get a winner at Anfield as a going away present for us
I'd be prepared to take less from a foreign team and show some kahunas finally.
Of course we won't now will we?
He has clearly been tapped up by Chelsea or Man Utd for me, and we will bend over once again as a feeder club to the Sky 4.

Contracts mean nothing nowadays Lukaku needs the willpower to stay here , but he has warned us for 2 seasons he wants Champion League football - if he wants out its sad , but no give away like the wayne Rooney transfer if pogba was 90 million Lukaku is 100 million +

True that, same agent as well, he is deluded if he thinks Rom is worth a lot less then the haircut that United landed themselves with, its not like Everton are skint now and decent players are easy pickings for a rich club, this all has a long way to go.

We had grown overdependent on him. Simple as. This is a wake up call. We need more goals from entire team and we need more than one striker. If we get a good return, this might be good for us. Still want him to stay like. Best striker we've had since Sharp?

He will go when the club receives the 'right offer', as he obviously feels he can't fulfil his ambitions here (not sure who he thinks is buying him)
People always love a goalscorer but, it's not the be all and end all of a team.
As already mentioned, we won the league either side of Lineker being here.
Cruyff played Lineker on the wing, he didn't fit into his team plans.
Cottee chose us ahead of Arsenal and we won zero.
It's up to the manager to work out how his formations/tactics but, Everton will still be here when Lukaku and Koeman go.

Did we seriously expect him to stay without Champions League football? The moment CL football was out of reach, Raiola and Lukaku wanted out. He has ambitions that for the time being, we cannot match. No different to if any of us were at a job that we were good at, but wanted to work at the fancier company down the road for more money each year, with more perks.

Whilst Rom is the best striker we've had the Premier League Era (statistically), players that have meant more to us and had key roles have left and we've recovered. For example, Rooney, Arteta, Lescott. At the time of sale they were all key players at that time and arguably more important at that time to the squad, than Lukaku is now. We've recovered from worse and will recover again.

In all honesty we've had average strikers ever since I was born. Rom's just been very lucky with injuries and is in my opinion, the first half decent, consistent striker we've had in the PL era. There are others out there, we're just comparing him to relatively mediocrity. Dunc's record being 60 goals shouldn't have taken as long as it had to beat.

He hasn't left yet, but it will hurt if he plays for another Prem side though.

Did we seriously expect him to stay without Champions League football? The moment CL football was out of reach, Raiola and Lukaku wanted out. He has ambitions that for the time being, we cannot match. No different to if any of us were at a job that we were good at, but wanted to work at the fancier company down the road for more money each year, with more perks.

Whilst Rom is the best striker we've had the Premier League Era (statistically), players that have meant more to us and had key roles have left and we've recovered. For example, Rooney, Arteta, Lescott. At the time of sale they were all key players at that time and arguably more important at that time to the squad, than Lukaku is now. We've recovered from worse and will recover again.

In all honesty we've had average strikers ever since I was born. Rom's just been very lucky with injuries and is in my opinion, the first half decent, consistent striker we've had in the PL era. There are others out there, we're just comparing him to relatively mediocrity. Dunc's record being 60 goals shouldn't have taken as long as it had to beat.

He hasn't left yet, but it will hurt if he plays for another Prem side though.
Spot on with that first paragraph. Although I still dont think his main focus is money. He's said countless times he wants to compete in the CL and win trophies. Clubs like Madrid, Bayern, Chelsea, etc give him that chance. The money is just a by product, if he was truly money driven he'd go to china with witsel

He will be in the blue of Chelsea next season, I'm almost sure of it. It nearly happened in the summer but Chelsea felt the price tag was too steep at that point as well as the timing of it all; Conte coming in and such. Lukaku has his heart set on a return to Chelsea and I think he is playing for that move, hence his form this season. Chelsea will have a few bob if Costa goes to China at the end of the season.

Everton want him to sign the contract with the new release clause so they can get top dollar for him in the summer with the lure of increased wages and back pay. Rom isn't interested in signing a contract that could potentially put Chelsea out of the running due to the £90m release clause that Everton want. That is the top and bottom of it. I'd be surprised if both Everton and Rom reached an agreement over the contract. I honestly believe he has no intention whatsoever of signing a new contract, regardless of how many sweeteners Everton throw in. I can see him going to Chelsea in the summer for a value in the region of £50-55m with the usual add ons.

I think the timing of all this coming out in the open now has been driven by Everton. We are basically letting the football world know that Rom has no intention of staying at Everton beyond the summer, so start preparing your bids.

I'm prepared for him not being here next season, as I'm sure Everton are as well. The lads heart and ambitions are somewhere else, not here. Our time is coming, and Rom wont matter when it does. As Rom says, his time at Everton has been a nice journey and I hope we all remember it as just that.

We will probably have to agree to disagree, his agent is no fool, and I don't for a second think this is any more than a game at this point...
I also still don't see where he realistically goes? I don't think anyone sees him going for less than 60M. But even at that "low" figure, does he actually play for any of those clubs? What are the realistic targets where Rom will play week in week out and who will pay 60M+? I think if you look at the 2 Spanish clubs who could pay it as an example, money isn't an issue, they would just as soon he play here for 2-3 more years and learn his trade, and they wouldn't care if they then had to pay 80-90M for him, they would take him in his prime knowing at any time they come calling, they could basically have him....so no urgency for them now to bid.
For me his likely destination is Bayern Munich if they sell Lewendowski to Madrid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back