Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
We got ascloseasthishere in his first season.

We are plenty close again this season and might yet challenge for it.

I'm just saying.
And although his excellent finishes got us to the semi I am still haunted by his misses that day. Cost us a final vs Palace (?) a great chance of winning the cup Europa league this year with our stronger team......not saying we would win it but I just hate this "I deserve better attitude" played out in public.
Cracking player, we still do not probably play enough to his strengths but he is getting loads more better supply from our improved midfield but would not kill him to do his transfer talk/business in the window rather than when we are actually looking up and on a decent run.

The problem I have with this theory from The Esk though, is rather than draw up an elaborative plot involving Lukaku, Raiola, Jim White and himself to put pressure on those two, surely it would just be easier to bin them off?

I can't believe any sensible owner would go to such lengths to prove a point when an easier option is available. If that was his plan the I have to say I'm slightly worried. We need clarity not cloak and daggers.

If he's not happy with them, get rid of them. I cannot be doing with the inaction much longer. We should have got rid of Martinez earlier. Got Koeman and Walsh in quicker. Signed better players in the summer. Gone for VVD and Keane earlier in January. The ground stuff needs to be clearer.

Kenwright and Elstone aren't up to it. Keep them in position and no matter how much and money he and others want to put in, it will be undermined by them.

When i cant be othered doing things in work i tend to just put things to the side until the last possible minute, in the meantime, i surf the net and play angry birds.
You reckon this is what blue bill and elstone do?

Been bugging me since it came out this Lukaku scenario.

Being rather cynical (or not) the timing seems really devious to me. The lad breaks Duncan's Premiership record and within the same week, the week that Joe Anderson drops another huge stadium hint, he blurts to the press about lack of ambition. I keep hearing he's a quiet, unassuming lad. Well, I think that's absolute rubbish. He clearly wants to be THE Everton story, not part of the Everton story. I'm afraid it's the all about Rom show, and that's why he's got that particular slug of an agent.
Don't get me wrong, we need a selfish, single-minded goal scorer....but we need one who gets the team ethic too.
His words were extremely carefully crafted to get the fans onside, but not carefully enough crafted to be seen through. He said all the things a lot of fans are thinking and aspire to for the Club, but this business about "there's players....playing in the Premiership now" quote is erroneous and purposely misleading. He needs to be pushed to name the names of these players we could have and should have got who are tearing it up as opposed to giving cryptic dross out to cause a reaction. From what I can see there's only Gabbiadini, and possibly Siggurdson, who fit his description. However, the man who makes the decisions obviously didn't want the former. Just maybe Lukaku doesn't like Koeman becoming a more important part of the project than him?
Koemans reaction in his presser was first class, and his account clearly questioned Lukaku's claim that he knows nothing about the plan. Take a step back from the fact that he's a very good goalscorer and critical to our team right now, and ask yourself..."would a top client with an elite agent not know about a Clubs longer term plan? And then recall Raiola spouting about the Everton Project on Jim Whites show.

It simply doesn't add up. I'm hoping it's all about the agent and his strategy for getting Rom the best deal possible at Everton and that Rom's just being played a little.

I hope he doesn't get the bird today, and I don't think he will. But equally I hope he doesn't do his naive arm waving crowd gee-up that he does now and then when he scores.....he needs to understand that the crowd IS Everton and that they are the only constant. And by the way, get your dollar on him for a hatrick....I have the same strong feeling I had before the Bournemouth game which won me some nice returns.

If Rom goes in the summer, and we secure europa league qualification. I honestly think it could work in our favour. Athletico Madrid and more recently Sevilla have established themselves as Top European clubs through selling their best players and duly improving the squad. We have a top manager who will strengthen the areas we need to. A couple in defence. Ross will come of age next year the academy is blossoming and we will buy 2 strikers of differing styles. This team now is the strongest we've had in a long long time and it will only get stronger. COYBS!

If Rom goes in the summer, and we secure europa league qualification. I honestly think it could work in our favour. Athletico Madrid and more recently Sevilla have established themselves as Top European clubs through selling their best players and duly improving the squad. We have a top manager who will strengthen the areas we need to. A couple in defence. Ross will come of age next year the academy is blossoming and we will buy 2 strikers of differing styles. This team now is the strongest we've had in a long long time and it will only get stronger. COYBS!

Which really pees me off about Lukaku's timing. It just stinks.

I can't see him going to United.

Chelsea maybe but only if Costa leaves

City? Nope.

Arsenal? Meh

PSG is where I think he'll end up tbh.
Chelsea will certainly be reliant on any prospective move by Costa and I'm sure Arsenal haven't shown the ambition he's meant to be thriving for.

Like yourself, for me PSG ticks all the boxes as it's high exposure, guaranteed domestic success and clear ambitions to succeed in the CL.

There's also being closer to his native Belgium with quick and easy links and the money they'll more than happy throw at him.

Which really pees me off about Lukaku's timing. It just stinks.
I have to agree, maybe the club have been pressuring the deal. I think he comes across aloof. The irony is we may get champions league this season if the clubs above us focus too much on each other. There is less pressure on us. Contrary to people's thinking I think europa would be better suited to our squad currently. We could blood more young players into 1st team and I think it wouldn't effect our premier league form as much at this stage of our revival.

I have to agree, maybe the club have been pressuring the deal. I think he comes across aloof. The irony is we may get champions league this season if the clubs above us focus too much on each other. There is less pressure on us. Contrary to people's thinking I think europa would be better suited to our squad currently. We could blood more young players into 1st team and I think it wouldn't effect our premier league form as much at this stage of our revival.

100% agree mate

Being rather cynical (or not) the timing seems really devious to me. The lad breaks Duncan's Premiership record and within the same week, the week that Joe Anderson drops another huge stadium hint, he blurts to the press about lack of ambition. I keep hearing he's a quiet, unassuming lad. Well, I think that's absolute rubbish. He clearly wants to be THE Everton story, not part of the Everton story. I'm afraid it's the all about Rom show, and that's why he's got that particular slug of an agent.
Don't get me wrong, we need a selfish, single-minded goal scorer....but we need one who gets the team ethic too.
His words were extremely carefully crafted to get the fans onside, but not carefully enough crafted to be seen through. He said all the things a lot of fans are thinking and aspire to for the Club, but this business about "there's players....playing in the Premiership now" quote is erroneous and purposely misleading. He needs to be pushed to name the names of these players we could have and should have got who are tearing it up as opposed to giving cryptic dross out to cause a reaction. From what I can see there's only Gabbiadini, and possibly Siggurdson, who fit his description. However, the man who makes the decisions obviously didn't want the former. Just maybe Lukaku doesn't like Koeman becoming a more important part of the project than him?
Koemans reaction in his presser was first class, and his account clearly questioned Lukaku's claim that he knows nothing about the plan. Take a step back from the fact that he's a very good goalscorer and critical to our team right now, and ask yourself..."would a top client with an elite agent not know about a Clubs longer term plan? And then recall Raiola spouting about the Everton Project on Jim Whites show.

It simply doesn't add up. I'm hoping it's all about the agent and his strategy for getting Rom the best deal possible at Everton and that Rom's just being played a little.

I hope he doesn't get the bird today, and I don't think he will. But equally I hope he doesn't do his naive arm waving crowd gee-up that he does now and then when he scores.....he needs to understand that the crowd IS Everton and that they are the only constant. And by the way, get your dollar on him for a hatrick....I have the same strong feeling I had before the Bournemouth game which won me some nice returns.
Good post mate.

I think this whole farce is a ploy by his agent to get Rom a good pay rise at the same time as putting in place a platform to facilitate a simple move to a bigger club if demand is there which, lets be honest, it will be.

On one level I dont have an issue with this and I dont blame Rom for wanting to better himself. I don't think the club have done enough to match his ambitions since he's been here.

However there are things I do find unsavoury about how it unfolded. Firstly they completely toyed with the fans emotions building us up to believe Rom was signing a new contract imminently. Then they tried to deflect the fans anger by trying to deflect this onto the club. And finally, the timing could disrupt our run in at a time when we still have a slim chance of qualifying for CL, ironically the one thing Rom says he wants.

I think whether Rom gets booed today is very much down to him. He shows the same desire and application he has for the last few weeks then the crowd will be right behind him. If he puts in one of those cba perfirmances then it wont take long for people to get on his back.

Good post mate.

I think this whole farce is a ploy by his agent to get Rom a good pay rise at the same time as putting in place a platform to facilitate a simple move to a bigger club if demand is there which, lets be honest, it will be.

On one level I dont have an issue with this and I dont blame Rom for wanting to better himself. I don't think the club have done enough to match his ambitions since he's been here.

However there are things I do find unsavoury about how it unfolded. Firstly they completely toyed with the fans emotions building us up to believe Rom was signing a new contract imminently. Then they tried to deflect the fans anger by trying to deflect this onto the club. And finally, the timing could disrupt our run in at a time when we still have a slim chance of qualifying for CL, ironically the one thing Rom says he wants.

I think whether Rom gets booed today is very much down to him. He shows the same desire and application he has for the last few weeks then the crowd will be right behind him. If he puts in one of those cba perfirmances then it wont take long for people to get on his back.

Agree, but I don't really get their stance about the Club not matching his ambitions. Under Kenwright I'd agree, albeit there are obvious reasons why we couldn't compete with the big guns. But since Moshiri has come we've made pretty major strides if we're being realistic. We've brought in an elite manager, we've brought in a structured approach with Walsh, we've bought some real good quality in Lookman, Gueye and Schneiderlin, we're serious about a new ground and the debt has been wiped out ( or more accurately the debt has been restructured so it's not a burden any longer). And all that's been done in a very short period of time realistically speaking.
As much as I like Lukaku I'm not in the keep him at all costs camp. There will be suitable and attainable replacements out there for sure, and that's where Walsh earns his corn. I really don't run with this theory that it has to be a top name CL quality player....Rom certainly wasn't that when we bought him, and possibly isn't quite yet.

^^^^^ pretty much this..spot on Tony

Agree, but I don't really get their stance about the Club not matching his ambitions. Under Kenwright I'd agree, albeit there are obvious reasons why we couldn't compete with the big guns. But since Moshiri has come we've made pretty major strides if we're being realistic. We've brought in an elite manager, we've brought in a structured approach with Walsh, we've bought some real good quality in Lookman, Gueye and Schneiderlin, we're serious about a new ground and the debt has been wiped out ( or more accurately the debt has been restructured so it's not a burden any longer). And all that's been done in a very short period of time realistically speaking.
As much as I like Lukaku I'm not in the keep him at all costs camp. There will be suitable and attainable replacements out there for sure, and that's where Walsh earns his corn. I really don't run with this theory that it has to be a top name CL quality player....Rom certainly wasn't that when we bought him, and possibly isn't quite yet.
I agree wuth you mate. As regards matching Roms ambition I did say during his 4 year spell here. The Moshiri impact looks to have come too late for Roms schedule. I too think that he may not be quite ready for the really elite clubs and would actually benefit from a further season or two with us to develop into a truly world class player.

As much as much as I want Rom to stay, it has to be on terms suitable to the club. No rolling over on contract negotiations. If someone comes in and matches our valuation then we move on. If not he's still our player going into next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back