Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
But that back 3 against a team with movement and with the pace of Mane - will not be able to push up, meaning either the midfield has to sit really deep or the team becomes disjointed badly and we will en dup under pressure and just having to punt it long and hope to a isolated Lukaku mate

a back 3 of Jagielka williams and Mori playing pushed up with the fullbacks pushed high up will be absolutely bummed as they will be forced to defend in space mate and Jagielka isn't capable of that anymore against a decent level player

Which is where the midfield comes in...

Holgate and Baines have the energy to get up and down.

If Morgan is fit and can play alongside Gana, they should be more than capable of plugging the gaps - which are likely to appear whether we play a 3 or 4 at the back pal.

Lukaku thrives being a target man - especially for Belgium where he has runners past him (Hazard, Mertens)

For Everton... not yet.

Davies is the one who has started running from deep and that's helped loads.

Calvert-Lewin and Valencia (natural strikers) have also started doing so as well and that has helped Rom

But that back 3 against a team with movement and with the pace of Mane - will not be able to push up, meaning either the midfield has to sit really deep or the team becomes disjointed badly and we will en dup under pressure and just having to punt it long and hope to a isolated Lukaku mate

a back 3 of Jagielka williams and Mori playing pushed up with the fullbacks pushed high up will be absolutely bummed as they will be forced to defend in space mate and Jagielka isn't capable of that anymore against a decent level player

I've said on here I think it'd work if we played a partner alongside him. It's not about the number of players we can get up around him, it's what those player/s are instructed to do.

We've played 3 behind him (e.g. Bolasie right, Mirallas left and Barkley at 10) and he looked massively isolated because none of those players were played as an actual partner. Against, for example, City at home, Mirallas played as more of a partner and we sat back and countered really effectively even though only one player was really committed to supporting Lukaku constantly. He benefits far more from having just one almost equal partner who actually occupies a defender or two than 3 supporting acts who don't occupy any, in these types of games.

The reds I know have been saying we'd be wise to sit deep and counter them and having watched them recently I can't help but agree. The bolded bit describes what for example Wolves, Hull and Leicester did to them, all winning relatively comfortably in the end.

The more we sit back, the less space they have to i) run in behind and ii) pick the passes in behind meaning they could be tempted to commit more forward, creating more space left for Lukaku and his partner to exploit as he and Mirallas did so well for the opening goal vs City, for example.

My sources tell me he will not.
I don't have any sources.

I reckon that the sources that you don't have may be similar or the same as the sources that I don't have either! But the sources that I don't have, confirmed recently that he might or might not sign a new contract.

Interesting times !!!

I've reached a point where if he signs, great, if he goes so be it - just get the transfer right.

However, if he does sign i'm really looking forward to seeing how the media will spin it after all the other things they've reported so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back