Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will always say i wouldn't want to sell lukaku for any money, even a world record fee tbh.

BUT

If we do sell him, i just pray that money from it is used to sign a talented striker rather than a stop gap. I'd love us to spend a similar amount and get a player ala Athletico do, a striker just under the verge of being amazing.

Agree, but it's difficult to do. The best are usually South American and La Liga seem to get first go at them. Occasionally a Suarez Lukaku or Lewandowski might pop up elsewhere but your Agueros Falcaos Costas Vietto etc. would probably be impossible for us to catch young.

Hopefully there's a Sturridge type player (a fit version) at a championship club that we can just drop a lot of money on. Sadly it's just so difficult to find the striking talent to replace someone like Rom.

I will always say i wouldn't want to sell lukaku for any money, even a world record fee tbh.

BUT

If we do sell him, i just pray that money from it is used to sign a talented striker rather than a stop gap. I'd love us to spend a similar amount and get a player ala Athletico do, a striker just under the verge of being amazing.

Pardon me owld bean, but that doesn't make sense.
Surely if we were to sell Rom for let's say £50 million, to then spend your 'similar amount' on another player would mean a contract befitting the fee (circa £100k a week or more ??)... and if that's the case, why not just give Rom that kind of contract and forget all the heartache and protracted timescales of selling and buying... and possibly ending up with someone not as good at exactly the same price/wage (or worse) than Rom.

Agree, but it's difficult to do. The best are usually South American and La Liga seem to get first go at them. Occasionally a Suarez Lukaku or Lewandowski might pop up elsewhere but your Agueros Falcaos Costas Vietto etc. would probably be impossible for us to catch young.

Hopefully there's a Sturridge type player (a fit version) at a championship club that we can just drop a lot of money on. Sadly it's just so difficult to find the striking talent to replace someone like Rom.

Athletico seem to be masters of doing it. Torres replaced by forlan and aguero. Aguero replaced by Falcao, Falcao replaced by Mandukic (not the same lol), replaced him with Jackson Martinez. Ok Porto seem to be even better for it, but it's a chain, porto find them, athletico buy them then sell them to the top level clubs.

We need a falcao type signing to replace him, a goal scorer who has potential to be even better.

Pardon me owld bean, but that doesn't make sense.
Surely if we were to sell Rom for let's say £50 million, to then spend your 'similar amount' on another player would mean a contract befitting the fee (circa £100k a week or more ??)... and if that's the case, why not just give Rom that kind of contract and forget all the heartache and protracted timescales of selling and buying... and possibly ending up with someone not as good at exactly the same price/wage (or worse) than Rom.

I meant round the 28 million not the 50, although i think when we sell we should be able to command more than 50, but perhaps wishful thinking.

As kinda explained, we sign a top looking striker and actually invest around the 30 million in them, and buy goals rather than develop them. We aren't going to sign a world class striker in any scenario but Falcao was once just a prospect coming through, same as many other strikers. I use falcao a lot because, as above, he was bought from another club who discovered him so to speak and he then came in and improved even more.

For some of these top clubs it barely matters who the manager is. This will probably be Ibrahimovich's last season at PSG and could well be Benzema's at Real's. Those two clubs could well be looking for replacements and will set off a chain of a number of strikers moving for a large amount of money. I am just fairly confident that Lukaku will be part of that chain as when you look round Europe who is better that is not already at a top champions league side? He was also the golden boot in the Euripa last year despite not even making the quarters. Everyone will be aware of him across Europe and if he continues as he is doing and ends up with 25 plus goals then a lot of clubs will be interested.

This is the same Real who paid a world record fee for Bale on the back of one decent season, who bought Rodriguez after one World Cup. Barcelona bought Suarez who had never played in the champions league. Top clubs do not care that much about wasting money. They Hoover up talent like Lukaku. The fact he was even at Chelsea at 17 to begin with is case in point of this.

Bale was bought off the back of 3 very good seasons - the last one which he made the kind of impact Suarez did in his last season mate though - 26 as a winger was something that everyone noticed, he was also very much on the radar from the moment he tore inter a new one a few seasons earlier in the CL as well - as i said proving he could do it on the very biggest stage in that game alone.

Rodriguez was arguably the best player of the world cup and also won the golden boot mate - THAT is the biggest stage you can perform on and to just say it as one world cup is underplaying how massive his profile became in that tournament.

Suarez was head and shoulders by a mile the best player in the league and nearly single handedly won the league for a bang average Liverpool side mate, he had also performed exceptionally for Uruguay for years on the biggest state.

As for how he did in Europa - yes it would have been noted by people he shared it with Alan of Salzburg (he was bought after by a chinese team at the age of 26), previous two winners Soriano of Salzburg (at 28 and he stayed at Sazburg) and Kozak of Lazio (sold the season after to Villa for 4m at 24) - so i don't actually think the big clubs are paying too much attention to Europa league top goalscorers frankly mate - especially when 5 of those goals came against young boys and that really puts it into perspective.

As for the transfer merry go round that would see Lukaku move on - these are things that poften get said will happen and almost never ever do, papers love them ofc as do people who have played a lot of FM etc - not saying you do btw before you tear my head off ;)

Realistically people seem to forget just how much we paid for Lukaku - their is not many sides that will be able to afford the fee we would undoubtedly stick on his head - conservatively we'd be asking for 55-60m + based purely on similar type deals and the mark up that those players had on their initial fees paid

Bale was bought off the back of 3 very good seasons - the last one which he made the kind of impact Suarez did in his last season mate though - 26 as a winger was something that everyone noticed, he was also very much on the radar from the moment he tore inter a new one a few seasons earlier in the CL as well - as i said proving he could do it on the very biggest stage in that game alone.

Rodriguez was arguably the best player of the world cup and also won the golden boot mate - THAT is the biggest stage you can perform on and to just say it as one world cup is underplaying how massive his profile became in that tournament.

Suarez was head and shoulders by a mile the best player in the league and nearly single handedly won the league for a bang average Liverpool side mate, he had also performed exceptionally for Uruguay for years on the biggest state.

As for how he did in Europa - yes it would have been noted by people he shared it with Alan of Salzburg (he was bought after by a chinese team at the age of 26), previous two winners Soriano of Salzburg (at 28 and he stayed at Sazburg) and Kozak of Lazio (sold the season after to Villa for 4m at 24) - so i don't actually think the big clubs are paying too much attention to Europa league top goalscorers frankly mate - especially when 5 of those goals came against young boys and that really puts it into perspective.

As for the transfer merry go round that would see Lukaku move on - these are things that poften get said will happen and almost never ever do, papers love them ofc as do people who have played a lot of FM etc - not saying you do btw before you tear my head off ;)

Realistically people seem to forget just how much we paid for Lukaku - their is not many sides that will be able to afford the fee we would undoubtedly stick on his head - conservatively we'd be asking for 55-60m + based purely on similar type deals and the mark up that those players had on their initial fees paid

Sterling and De Bryne cost circa £50 million, and were not smashing it on a world stage.

We shall see how the summer unfolds but I will be shocked if Lukaku and Stones are here next season.

I've just always been of the opinion that the combination of his ability and his ambition will see him move on when he feels he is ready and he has performed at a high enough level for long enough. His huge number of appearances for club and country and his stats show he's good enough to move up now and I'm sure he's well aware of that.

I see your points, but I just feel he's too much of a gem and too visible to all the top clubs around Europe for one of them who has the money not to decide he's worth it.

If we were to finish in the top 4 this season I'd expect him to stay like.

Thing is mate how many teams are there in world football that could actually afford to buy him now?

Chelsea - don't see them eating that amount of humble pie and admitting a mistake that will cost them 30m again - no chance on earth under Mourinho it happens
United - Will any attacking player want to go there under LVG now?
City - Not going to spend 55-65m on a back up to Aguerro and don't see him going anywhere
Bayern - have Lewandowski who is better and in his prime
Barca - Don't play a out and out striker and have 3 better goalscorers
Madrid - Possible - but can buy anyone in the world they want who isn't at Barca already
PSG - Have a 50m+ striker already having to play on the wing - so great advert for Lukaku to stay clear, as an ambitious player will he want to drop down to a 1 team league?

I'd also say the lad at Dortmund would be the number one priority for any team out that list who is looking to buy a striker mate

Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool, Athl Madrid, Juve, Inter, AC Milan, Dortmund, to just list the likely richest/biggest of the other clubs would no way be able to afford close to what we'd be demanding they pay

Sterling and De Bryne cost circa £50 million, and were not smashing it on a world stage.

If sterling wasn't English mate and City didn't have a quota to fill for English players he would have never been bought for even half that amount mate or even not bought at all

De Bruyne - are you having a laugh - he absolutely tore up the Bundesliga mate 16 goals and 28 bloody assists

Also IF city don't sell Aguerro then why on earth would Lukaku even consider going to them mate? to be in exactly the same boat he left Chelsea for

If sterling wasn't English mate and City didn't have a quota to fill for English players he would have never been bought for even half that amount mate or even not bought at all

De Bruyne - are you having a laugh - he absolutely tore up the Bundesliga mate 16 goals and 28 bloody assists

Also IF city don't sell Aguerro then why on earth would Lukaku even consider going to them mate? to be in exactly the same boat he left Chelsea for

And lukaku is ripping up the prem with great stats.

The big money will come for Rom, he was a name around europe when he was 16, chelsea spent a fortune on him, so did we. Lukaku is a big name in footballz

And lukaku is ripping up the prem with great stats.

The big money will come for Rom, he was a name around europe when he was 16, chelsea spent a fortune on him, so did we. Lukaku is a big name in footballz

All very well saying it mate, but who exactly ? it's not as i said earlier like their is 25-30 clubs who he could go to, the list is very very small

All very well saying it mate, but who exactly ? it's not as i said earlier like their is 25-30 clubs who he could go to, the list is very very small

United, city, psg, real, barcelona, maybe juve, even chelsea could.

Im not saying they will mate, but its possible, and surely more likely.

Honestly I think unless city sell Aguero the most likely clubs to want him who can afford him are Arsenal, Man Utd and PSG (as Ibrahimovic is moving on).

I think Arsenal is the most likely as he'd be the main man there up front with Ozil and Sanchez supplying. Man Utd unless they get another manager are not attractive for strikers right now and PSG is a one team league, though guaranteed silverware and a probable decent champions league run would be enticing for him as a next step I would think.

Personally I think we need to win a cup or start to turn these draws into wins and finish top five for us to have any chance of keeping him unless he has a terrible second half of the season or God forbid gets injured. As always the ball is in Roberto's court.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back