Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
Belotti is Lukaku's age and has never played in the CL.

Morata isn't exactly a prolific goalscorer.

In style, though, both fit the system Conte uses at Chelsea a lot better than Rom would - on paper at least.

Morata is 10x the footballer of Lukaku. I'd swap Lukaku for him in a heartbeat. Not even close.

Only saw Belotti a few times, but I think his general movement is leagues above Lukaku too - not that that's particularly difficult. But you're right in that he's unproven - thing is, he'd also cost half of what Lukaku would, and the risk wouldn't be that unpalatable as a result.

Griezmann... don't even need to explain that one surely, he's simply better than Lukaku to any team anywhere.

@Brisan123's post was spot on in every way in my eyes.

Morata played for Conte at Juve and wanted to keep him but the fee was too high.
I just think this is the usual hype about Lukaku leaving and I can't see Chelsea or United buying him as their first or second choice.
If Chelsea or United bought another CF and then bid for Lukaku as a back up , would he go ??

Probably as he has confidence in his ability to get in the side quickly, but it wouldn't happen - you don't spend the money it'd take on Lukaku to sign a backup.

You're spot on though - he's not the first choice for these teams. They'd be mad to have him as a first choice given the other options on the market for the same money; their scouts must have functioning eyes after all.

Morata is 10x the footballer of Lukaku. I'd swap Lukaku for him in a heartbeat. Not even close.

Only saw Belotti a few times, but I think his general movement is leagues above Lukaku too - not that that's particularly difficult. But you're right in that he's unproven - thing is, he'd also cost half of what Lukaku would, and the risk wouldn't be that unpalatable as a result.

Griezmann... don't even need to explain that one surely, he's simply better than Lukaku to any team anywhere.

@Brisan123's post was spot on in every way in my eyes.

Morata is an excellent footballer and works extremely hard. His movement is very good though when it comes to goalscoring it has to be said Rom is in a different league. If he's part of a fluid front line ala Chelsea though, Morata would suit them more.

Belotti is also very promising. Great movement and works hard. That being said, he wouldn't cost half of what Rom would as he signed a new deal in December which has a 100million euro buy-out clause. Torino's president said just last week that he will only be sold if he wants to go and that valuation is met.

Griezmann yeh, is just a world class player.

Probably as he has confidence in his ability to get in the side quickly, but it wouldn't happen - you don't spend the money it'd take on Lukaku to sign a backup.

You're spot on though - he's not the first choice for these teams. They'd be mad to have him as a first choice given the other options on the market for the same money; their scouts must have functioning eyes after all.

A lot depends on style.

Of all the other teams in the PL, Lukaku probably suits Arsenal the best, as they lack a goalscorer and have had to rely on Sanchez (an inside forward) to get the goals. United - despite Ibra's efforts - have also lacked that this season.

The thing is is a lot of people base their opinions on players and who will move to which team etc purely on quality.

Lukaku is a top quality striker. The stats and his ability back that up.

On paper, I'd much rather have him in a side than Morata personally if it was purely based on goals.

However, if you're Conte, whose system relies a lot on a player who can hold the ball up and be part of a fluid front three, then Lukaku wouldn't be the first choice (or I think it's highly unlikely).

Morata is an excellent footballer and works extremely hard. His movement is very good though when it comes to goalscoring it has to be said Rom is in a different league. If he's part of a fluid front line ala Chelsea though, Morata would suit them more.

Belotti is also very promising. Great movement and works hard. That being said, he wouldn't cost half of what Rom would as he signed a new deal in December which has a 100million euro buy-out clause. Torino's president said just last week that he will only be sold if he wants to go and that valuation is met.

Griezmann yeh, is just a world class player.

Lukaku is arguably in a different league to every other player in world football when it comes to pure goalscoring.

Unfortunately, he's also in a completely different league to top players when it comes to everything that actually makes a top level actual striker. A much lower league.

That's the issue, and that's why Morata is infinitely more appealing to a top club than Lukaku. All top clubs rely on movement and technique first from their strikers, and goals a distant second. That's why Morata is at Real Madrid already, and Lukaku is at Everton.

Because of his goals and, as such, his resultant prestige to his club, Lukaku is overvalued and costs a fortune - in real terms, Lukaku's actual value as a footballer is a fraction of the fee it'd take to get him.

Lukaku is arguably in a different league to every other player in world football when it comes to pure goalscoring.

Unfortunately, he's also in a completely different league to top players when it comes to everything that actually makes a top level actual striker. A much lower league.

That's the issue, and that's why Morata is infinitely more appealing to a top club than Lukaku. All top clubs rely on movement and technique first from their strikers, and goals a distant second. That's why Morata is at Real Madrid already, and Lukaku is at Everton.

Because of his goals and, as such, his resultant prestige to his club, Lukaku is overvalued and costs a fortune - in real terms, Lukaku's actual value as a footballer is a fraction of the fee it'd take to get him.

I do agree on that. The thing is we've geared the team towards Rom as we should have done for the last season or two and it's worked in the most part. Issue is, the others around him haven't contributed enough goals to get us higher - and it could be argued that's a combination of tactics and the general quality of those players in the final third.

Morata, in all fairness, was ditched by Real as he didn't score enough goals for him to get 1st team footy regularly. He got brought back as they needed an alternative to Benzema, though it hasn't exactly worked brilliantly as Ronaldo is now pretty much a no.9.

Morata suited the hard-working Juve style more than he does Real in all honesty. It'll be interesting to see if he is sold in the summer or they keep him as back up to Ronaldo and they instead move Benzema on.

He would do well at any of the sides above us as he would get them 20 league goals a season nailed on and if not performing against the better opposition in the CL they have enough depth to replace him.

We have Kone.

Just cant take to him at all, I know he is the best striker we have had since the 80's, but that says more about how pants we have bin.

Chelsea can't have been all that impressed with Rom on Sunday's showing. Cahill coped with him pretty smoothly.

Of course they will know he's not the finished article and with the chances that Pedro, Hazard etc will create for him he'll score a hatful.

But he's not like Costa or Drogba for instance in that he moves about much. He stands there staring back at our goal a lot of the time. That isn't what Chelsea are looking for, I'd have thought.

If we sell lukaku we also then need to replace barkley and the rest of our left and right attacking players because none of them score enough goals and no way we will get a replacement who scores 50-60% of lukaku's goals let alone matches him.

Chelsea can't have been all that impressed with Rom on Sunday's showing. Cahill coped with him pretty smoothly.

Of course they will know he's not the finished article and with the chances that Pedro, Hazard etc will create for him he'll score a hatful.

But he's not like Costa or Drogba for instance in that he moves about much. He stands there staring back at our goal a lot of the time. That isn't what Chelsea are looking for, I'd have thought.
It's interesting what conte was saying before the game about costa and he believes he's the best striker in the world. I don't for one second think that's entirely honest but when you compare the games of costa and lukaku on Sunday they are such a contrasting style of striker. Conte obviously prefers the harassing, nuisance, high work rate of someone like costa to a striker like rom who will half the time wait for the ball to be played into his feet and will not press the ball when we have lost it.

It will be an interesting summer for us, I have a feeling all this Chelsea talk is smoke and mirrors and they've no interest in him. Man Utd seem like a more likely destination for him imo, If indeed mourinho is prepared to accept any bad mouthing for re-signing a player he once sold. He's made good use of mata at utd so it's not out of the realms of possibility and their style of play doesn't rely on out and out movement up front, evidenced by an aging ibrahimovic having a blinding season.

In all honesty I can't see anyone stumping up the wedge we want for lukaku in summer which will leave us in an even more awkward position this time next year if he hasn't put pen to paper on a new deal.

Have you suffered a head injury in the last week? You've been making some mad statements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back