Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
How so? I've said that for a long time - he's one of, if not the most gifted pure goalscorer in world football right now.

Not sure how that's a mad statement; the amount and variety of goals he scores is proof enough of that opinion.
This is his first season with a 20 goal league haul. I don't think he's putting Messi and Ronaldo in the shade just yet.

I don't know what poor old Kane has to do to get a bit of recognition. His goal per minute ratio is streets ahead of even Aguero.

Lukaku is arguably in a different league to every other player in world football when it comes to pure goalscoring.

Unfortunately, he's also in a completely different league to top players when it comes to everything that actually makes a top level actual striker. A much lower league.

That's the issue, and that's why Morata is infinitely more appealing to a top club than Lukaku. All top clubs rely on movement and technique first from their strikers, and goals a distant second. That's why Morata is at Real Madrid already, and Lukaku is at Everton.

Because of his goals and, as such, his resultant prestige to his club, Lukaku is overvalued and costs a fortune - in real terms, Lukaku's actual value as a footballer is a fraction of the fee it'd take to get him.

One of the best posts I've read on here.

Carry on the good work x

This is his first season with a 20 goal league haul. I don't think he's putting Messi and Ronaldo in the shade just yet.

I don't know what poor old Kane has to do to get a bit of recognition. His goal per minute ratio is streets ahead of even Aguero.

Best way I can describe what I mean is this - if I had the choice of striker from anyone in world football who I'd want bearing down on goal, one on one with the 'keeper, for one chance, I'd choose Lukaku.

However, if I had to choose a striker who had to actually play 90 minutes of an actual game, Lukaku wouldn't make my top 50.

It's interesting what conte was saying before the game about costa and he believes he's the best striker in the world. I don't for one second think that's entirely honest but when you compare the games of costa and lukaku on Sunday they are such a contrasting style of striker. Conte obviously prefers the harassing, nuisance, high work rate of someone like costa to a striker like rom who will half the time wait for the ball to be played into his feet and will not press the ball when we have lost it.

It will be an interesting summer for us, I have a feeling all this Chelsea talk is smoke and mirrors and they've no interest in him. Man Utd seem like a more likely destination for him imo, If indeed mourinho is prepared to accept any bad mouthing for re-signing a player he once sold. He's made good use of mata at utd so it's not out of the realms of possibility and their style of play doesn't rely on out and out movement up front, evidenced by an aging ibrahimovic having a blinding season.

In all honesty I can't see anyone stumping up the wedge we want for lukaku in summer which will leave us in an even more awkward position this time next year if he hasn't put pen to paper on a new deal.

Agree with all that except the last part mate.

We're in a good position either way.

Even with a year left on his deal, he'd fetch 50mil if he continues scoring as he has been.

Best way I can describe what I mean is this - if I had the choice of striker from anyone in world football who I'd want bearing down on goal, one on one with the 'keeper, for one chance, I'd choose Lukaku.

However, if I had to choose a striker who had to actually play 90 minutes of an actual game, Lukaku wouldn't make my top 50.
Fair enough.

It'd depend on the circumstances for me. If I was 3-0 up at home to Hull, I'd probably go with Lukaku.

It's interesting what conte was saying before the game about costa and he believes he's the best striker in the world. I don't for one second think that's entirely honest but when you compare the games of costa and lukaku on Sunday they are such a contrasting style of striker. Conte obviously prefers the harassing, nuisance, high work rate of someone like costa to a striker like rom who will half the time wait for the ball to be played into his feet and will not press the ball when we have lost it.

It will be an interesting summer for us, I have a feeling all this Chelsea talk is smoke and mirrors and they've no interest in him. Man Utd seem like a more likely destination for him imo, If indeed mourinho is prepared to accept any bad mouthing for re-signing a player he once sold. He's made good use of mata at utd so it's not out of the realms of possibility and their style of play doesn't rely on out and out movement up front, evidenced by an aging ibrahimovic having a blinding season.

In all honesty I can't see anyone stumping up the wedge we want for lukaku in summer which will leave us in an even more awkward position this time next year if he hasn't put pen to paper on a new deal.

Agree that I can't see any team stumping up his reported fee of 100 m
If however we invest heavily and properly and get CL next season (it's a possibility ) then maybe our problems are over and Rom will sign a new contract.

Get a better face probably.

It's mad, Kane is a cracking player, got a bit of everything.

Chelsea can't have been all that impressed with Rom on Sunday's showing. Cahill coped with him pretty smoothly.

Of course they will know he's not the finished article and with the chances that Pedro, Hazard etc will create for him he'll score a hatful.

But he's not like Costa or Drogba for instance in that he moves about much. He stands there staring back at our goal a lot of the time. That isn't what Chelsea are looking for, I'd have thought.

So what did Costa do the entire game?

I hope he goes abroad if he has to go.

I agree with the overall sentiment but imho Lukaku would not be my first choice for a one on one. (Maybe top 10...just)

Like you say though, his finishing is up there with the best, but build up play, keeping the ball when the team are under pressure, no where close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back