Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
Michael Ball.

It's true that he didn't get much service but then he didn't put himself in the right positions to make things happen.

Rom's starting position when Everton were trying to counter attack Chelsea was awful.
Instead of going out wide in areas of space and looking to bend his run and cut inside, he just plonked himself in the middle of two of their centre backs.

He made it easy for David Luiz who bossed him all day.

In my opinion he's off to Chelsea in the Summer now that Costa is going.

The only problem I can foresee, especially at the start, is that a huge number of their fans would probably prefer Belotti or Morata to come in and be first choice Striker.

Could mean that he's under much more pressure to perform than he's under with us. One poor game (and he's guaranteed to have them) and they'll be moaning about how they should have went for Belotti or Morata.

With us he is the big fish in what he perceives to be a smaller pond. With them, he's going to be a regular fish in a huge pond.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see how it turns out.

In my opinion he's off to Chelsea in the Summer now that Costa is going.

The only problem I can foresee, especially at the start, is that a huge number of their fans would probably prefer Belotti or Morata to come in and be first choice Striker.

Could mean that he's under much more pressure to perform than he's under with us. One poor game (and he's guaranteed to have them) and they'll be moaning about how they should have went for Belotti or Morata.

With us he is the big fish in what he perceives to be a smaller pond. With them, he's going to be a regular fish in a huge pond.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see how it turns out.

Yeah, I'm expecting him to leave as the pieces seem to be falling into place

Having said that, if we could bring in Rooney, Dolberg and a really good target man-type striker, I think overall we would be stronger up front than this season where we had Lukaku and Valencia

What worries me is the possibility that Lukaku leaves, Rooney comes in but nobody else of note up front comes with him and we effectively have Rooney as our number one striker next season.

I still feel like Lukaku is a weird fit with Chelsea and the way they play. They don't need a beast who slots so much as they need a dynamic technical striker as part of their fluid front line.

Also the more I think about it the less worried I am about him leaving. I feel like there's a 50/50 chance we could become a stronger team as a whole without him

Michael Ball.

It's true that he didn't get much service but then he didn't put himself in the right positions to make things happen.

Rom's starting position when Everton were trying to counter attack Chelsea was awful.
Instead of going out wide in areas of space and looking to bend his run and cut inside, he just plonked himself in the middle of two of their centre backs.

He made it easy for David Luiz who bossed him all day.

Tin Tin

I go back to the MOTD analysis they featured several phases of play where RL had opened the space but the decision making of Everton midfield players or indeed the attempt to play him in on goal was woeful.
One particular incident showed how he dragged Cahill out wide and had the simple ball been played to him Cahill had no option to either foul him or RL would have been in on goal.
Once RK sacrificed a midfielder to try and negate Hazard then it was only a matter of time till Davies and Barkleys in experience was exposed when that happened RL might just as well gone home for a cup of tea.
RL is being written off far too easy. People talk about challenging for the top four yet I personally have no doubt that without him the challenge to achieve that ,even with three or four additions , will be colossal.
As they say be careful what you wish for!

I still feel like Lukaku is a weird fit with Chelsea and the way they play. They don't need a beast who slots so much as they need a dynamic technical striker as part of their fluid front line.

Also the more I think about it the less worried I am about him leaving. I feel like there's a 50/50 chance we could become a stronger team as a whole without him

Chelsea current style to a large degree is being dictated by virtue of the players they have available. Costas hold up play is far from impressive what he does provide is a out ball but watch him for time after time he runs up a blind alley the ball more often than not caught between his feet.

As for suggesting that there is a 50/50 chance of Everton becoming a stronger team for me that will only happen with the arrival of a significant number of players and top class ones at that. Not along the lines of Williams or indeed the Lookmans but players costing tens of millions each. It's brutal I know but of that first 11 that started on Sunday if Everton are to have a team that stands a chance of challenging the current top four I suspect only one or two of that eleven would be regular starters most would probably just be squad players

Feel like Rom is the most likely of the 3. Proven in PL, desperately wants to play for them.

He doesn't suit Conte's style anywhere near as much as Moratta though.

But yeh, I do think he'll be sold if a massive offer comes in. If they don't pay what we want, he won't go though.

I would like to see us in for Begovic & Zouma. Get rid of Joel and Stekelenburg and get a young keeper in also, Pickford, Leno, Horn etc.

Also loads of reports saying Conte wants Morata as his first striker, on a 5 year deal. Can't see Rom going there to play 2nd fiddle. I'd rather see him leave England

Begovic is no upgrade on the two we have now.

Keep one of them (Joel, ideally) as back up. Get a better first choice one in.

There are only a select number of clubs who can afford Rom, and they all have other targets. There stands a chance that an adequate bid won't come in this Summer.

He's not good enough for a top CL club and the lower CL clubs can't afford him. That's the bind he is in. Looks like his agent wanted a new contract with a lower release clause for exactly that reason. Top clubs are not going to get rid of the likes of Lewandowski, Benzema, Suarez, Costa, Ibrahimovic etc. and then spend close to a world record fee on a player who has trouble controlling the ball in tight spaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back