Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's just going to be something we'll have to get used to, until we can offer CL whoever we sign to replace Rom (if he does go) will see us as a stepping stone to bigger and better things if they perform at a high level.In the longer term I think we'll be a better team in a healthier place without him.We really need to have a team that shares the goals around rather than relying on a "star striker" to do the business.Think Everton post Lineker.

Goals came from "hardly anywhere else".....

Sharp 19

Heath 10

Steven 9

And a further nine players scored 19 goals between them for us that season.

We accumulated 86 points in finishing second....we scored 87 goals in total, a very healthy 57 of them not scored by Lineker.

That was only two fewer goals than we scored in winning the Title the previous season.

The following season we won the league with the exact same points total, 86, and scored 76 goals...eleven fewer than in the Lineker season.

Lineker put us in front in the Cup Final.

If is beyond bonkers to suggest we won nowt in 1986 because our main striker scored 30 goals and gave us the lead at Wembley :dance:

I concede your bald statistics, but the fact is that the team was geared in the main towards Lineker, and that approach ultimately cost us dear. I saw it all season in every home game, and at the Cup Final (even then he needed two bites at it before he scored). What you don't show is that when Lineker wasn't scoring, the number of points we dropped, which is the vital moot point. Let me give you a few to put it in greater perspective:
Chelsea (h) 1-1
Luton T (a) 1-2
Man Utd (a) 0-0
Nottingham F (a) 0-0
Oxford U (a) 0-1

All of the above in the vital 12-game period after our 2-0 away win over the RS. In fact, they are in a 10-game period. After losing at Oxford, our fate was not in our hands - the home win against Southampton (next-to-last game) was academic if the RS won at Chelsea at the same time, which they did, 1-0, to clinch the title. Again, the final game at home to WHam was academic. 5 of Lineker's goals came in those last two 'academic' games.

I saw it clearly that season, and saw us win the title the following season without him.

I posted this a while ago and i dont want to look like i'm jumping on the bandwagon of thinking lukaku is garbage now, but he never seems to score important goals

3 goals v sunderland - 3-0 win
1 v boro - 2nd goal in a 3-1 win
1 v palace 1-1 draw
1 v city - 1-1 draw
1 v west ham 2nd goal in a 2-0 win
2 v watford 3-2 defeat
1 v leicester 2nd goal in a 2-0 win
1 v saints 3rd goal in a 3-0 win
1 v man city 1st goal in a 4-0 win
4 v bournemouth in a 6-3 win
1 v sunderland - 2nd in a 2-0 win
1 v spurs in a 3-2 defeat
1 v wba, 3rd in a 3-0 win
2 v hull, 3rd & 4th in a 4-0 win
2 v leicester 2nd & 4th in a 4-2 win
1 v burnley, 3rd in a 3-1 win

How many of them goals have been result altering?
If you include an equaliser vrs leicester in the 4-2. i count 6
Alot of his goals come when we are already winning. Especially the 2's and 3s v sunderland, bournemouth, hull, burnley etc. Basicly most teams at home, he gets his total up
What about his assists?

What about his assists?

I did similar stat whereas I took all Roms goals away from us and we were only about 7 points worse off and still in 7th place and included in those stats would have been defeat by Bournemouth and a draw against Sunderland away.

You query his assists and yes this would have a different reflection on the stats but without Rom we would have had some other player in his place and I am sure a few assists and goals from the other player could have had us in the same position or possibly higher. We just don't know, but the poster you replied to @Raino85 has a bit of a point.

the stick Martial and Mkhytarian and Shaw get from jose for not working hard enough, could you imagine if rom joined.

I just cannot see it. Griezmann on the other hand runs tirelessly up both ends and is always linking up.

Rom should be trying so hard in every game, even if barely any service but he is not which makes me think he is either already off or he is just lazy.

I concede your bald statistics, but the fact is that the team was geared in the main towards Lineker, and that approach ultimately cost us dear. I saw it all season in every home game, and at the Cup Final (even then he needed two bites at it before he scored). What you don't show is that when Lineker wasn't scoring, the number of points we dropped, which is the vital moot point. Let me give you a few to put it in greater perspective:
Chelsea (h) 1-1
Luton T (a) 1-2
Man Utd (a) 0-0
Nottingham F (a) 0-0
Oxford U (a) 0-1

All of the above in the vital 12-game period after our 2-0 away win over the RS. In fact, they are in a 10-game period. After losing at Oxford, our fate was not in our hands - the home win against Southampton (next-to-last game) was academic if the RS won at Chelsea at the same time, which they did, 1-0, to clinch the title. Again, the final game at home to WHam was academic. 5 of Lineker's goals came in those last two 'academic' games.

I saw it clearly that season, and saw us win the title the following season without him.

A man in a hole should put the spade down and stop digging.

You want reasons we didn't win the league in '86 look no further than Neville's season ending on a rugby pitch in Dublin in March.

Allied to a phenomenal run from Liverpool which saw them win their last ten games in a row or sommat like that.

What was most definitely not a reason was Gary Lineker being the spearpoint of a very potent attack force.

In any normal season his goals, added to the 57 goals every other regular outfield player including Kevin Ratcliffe scoring what I think was his only career goal, would have comfortably seen us over the line.

:)

I did similar stat whereas I took all Roms goals away from us and we were only about 7 points worse off and still in 7th place and included in those stats would have been defeat by Bournemouth and a draw against Sunderland away.

You query his assists and yes this would have a different reflection on the stats but without Rom we would have had some other player in his place and I am sure a few assists and goals from the other player could have had us in the same position or possibly higher. We just don't know, but the poster you replied to @Raino85 has a bit of a point.

And don't forget, one of his "assists" was when Bolasie pushed him off the ball to score at Burnley :)

Yankfootball1 posted a dislike for this! Me quoting three of the greats of Holland's national team in times past. What a clown!!! (n)

Give me another dislike for this post @Yankfootball1 lol
I fat fingered dislike at the gym instead of like at the gym. Settle down it should have been a like although cool it upset you enough to mention me in a post. ;)

Chelsea (h) 1-1
Luton T (a) 1-2
Man Utd (a) 0-0
Nottingham F (a) 0-0
Oxford U (a) 0-1

I agree with you , I watched pretty much every game that year and it could be blue tinted glasses or a failing memory but we were absolutely lineker centric . Everything was about creating opportunities for him , the team wasn't playing the same football as the year before . I'm not saying we lost the league because of Lineker or that anything was his fault , I still blame the Southall injury but we were a different team and again to agree with you statistics cant change my opinion .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back