Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
This might just promote further 'academic' discussion about how good Lukaku 'really' is (if I could I would kill it dead 'cos he is clearly class), but...

• How many times can you recall him missing a sitter? Not saying it hasn't happened - I can recall a few - but that is when you have a real, tangible reason to criticise a striker - not just some academic one which benefits from hindsight. On some of the occasions when he has it has usually been the first piece of action served to him after a spell of him making runs crying out for the ball whilst receiving not a lot in the way of a killer pass.

• Is he a 'number 9' if that's the term you wanna use? Should we then be comparing him to Ferguson etc.? He might not suit the kind of hold-up play that past Everton sides had to rely upon - but for me he is undoubtedly more clinical when given the service than say Johnson(though he would've scored more goals in this team than the one he was in)/Sophomore Yak. How many goals would those other players have scored in this team, dya think? I'm not sure, but definitely not more than...

• ...36 in 81 for us, league form. He has a record of near 1 in 2 in the league for us... who exactly do you have in mind who will score at a better rate than that for Everton? Aguero is 6 years older and has a ratio of 0.65 in a city side with David Silva behind him. Shall we upgrade to him instead?

• Why are we assessing, in hindsight, the importance of individual goals in this critical way? Was his 2nd/Barkley's goal a waste yesterday, cos he would've defo taken home the points and could've redistributed them to the City game. Or would they have only counted for one goal against them, cos City are better than Southampton?...bit silly, but so is the premise of discussion. He's proved he can score the 'important' goals against 'top sides' - any other over-analysis of his goals for us with the added benefit of hindsight is, put simply, daft and makes you a bit of a credit-stinge 'cos it's inherent in that way of looking at things...

• The pouring over stats should stop and end with goalscoring ratios, IMO - at least for an indication of how 'consistent' a player is, if they're not making a complete Nikica of things. Every striker has dry/confidence spells.

• Watch him slot proper loads this year.

If the Europa league is against such poor opposition, why didn't we win it?

Are we going to revise Dixie Dean's scoring record because the rules were different for keepers in those days?

Are we going to discount some of Neville Southall's appearances because some were in the ZDS cup?

And we had next to no domestic cup run last year, so surely the goals he got in Europe would take the place of a usual decent cup run.

I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree mate, for me, a goal for Everton in a competitive match is a goal for Everton in a competitive match.

Because good sides are also in it, but there's a massive variance in quality - same as the League Cup as you can play a League Two side three times in a row then come up against Chelsea.

It's too much of a variable as a comparison tool, whereas the league remains the same every year.

Ok mate lets leave out cup goals.

In his three seasons in the Premier League he's scored 44 goals in 83 appearances. He's scored at least one goal against all the best teams in the league. He's 22 years of age.

Sorry what's your point again?

serious question. he's not actually scored against us has he?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back