Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
He can hardly say he is definitely staying then look a fool if we get a huge bid and he does go. The reality is we will sell anyone on our books if we get offered the fee the board and manager thinks is a good one. The way it is and the way it will always be.

Nowhere in that piece does it say we are selling Lukaku. He states in modern football every club is a seller at some point. Then you reinvest those proceeds.

I'd have thought softening the way for Stones to go is the most likely strategy.

Fingers crossed Esk.

I don't want either to go, but at this point Lukaku is more vital to our side I agree.

Stones is a top player and he's only going to get better, but (and I posted this in the RM thread the other day) he does seem to be off based on a credible source. Not set on it and doesn't hate Everton or the fans or anything but there was tangible interest from Barca pre Christmas and now there's the Pep factor at City. He's been learning Spanish for a good few months as well - which in fairness to me just indicates a smart lad who is preparing himself as best as he can.

However, Rom is different.

22, bagged 25 this season now.

Yes, it's ridiculous that we could potentially finish with the golden boot winner and finish bottom half. A sad indictment of the defence or, more specifically, the defensive system in place for the majority of league games, as well as the mentality of the side.

There's still improvements to be made in his game though and it's well-publicised he wants to be in the Prem next term.

PSG seem the big foreign club likely to come in for him, but would he develop solely by playing in the CL? I'm not sure. That'd be a decision he'd have to make.

I can't see Real coming calling just yet (haven't they got a transfer ban or is that just Atletico?), though Bayern could be a possibility. Barca is a no go.

They're the foreign sides who could afford him, IMO.

City, I'm not so sure. He'd go to work under Pep but it depends on how City line up. If they stay with one striker then it has to be Aguero, and Rom isn't suited to being a wide man in a (variation of) a 4-3-3 either.

United. Well I could certainly see it, though again that would indicate to me Rooney would make way. And, if they don't get CL...

Arsenal. In so many ways, as much as it pains me to say it, this would be the right move for him and for that rabble. But will Arsene spend the (surely, has to be) £60mil+ that we should be demanding for him at the least?

Chelsea. Well, they can imagine all they like about getting it back but the fact remains they're a club that requires a huge rebuild and surely from Rom's point of view he's as good-off here as he would be there - as long as we get a new contract offered to him asap...

My view would be do all we can to keep him. £150k p/week (I don't think money is his motivator though it always helps, especially with the agent), and put in a £65mil buy-out clause for the summer windows starting 2017.

Get him to give us one more year and see where he can take us. It's a long-shot but it needs to be tried.

Also, offer Stones a new deal and if he takes it or not is up to him. Get Barkley signed up sharpish as well. Show these players that we're building something and that they're the key to it, at least in the short term.

If that means not signing another Carlos Kickaball then I can live with it, and we'll still get signings in whatever.

I think you're looking a bit silly and if I could be bothered would vault you into oblivion. But I like you x

Haha, vault away. I hammed up my anti Rom stance to get a few bites BUT, as Papa Prevenger used to say, the best bait is the one that contains nuggets of truth.

I think Rom is a great striker. I also think he's a nice chap, a tireless worker and a great ambassador for our team. But I suspect that losing him won't be the massive blow we think and would be willing to bet my avatar, provided he leaves of course, that we will place significantly higher in the league next season without him.

Fingers crossed Esk.

I don't want either to go, but at this point Lukaku is more vital to our side I agree.

Stones is a top player and he's only going to get better, but (and I posted this in the RM thread the other day) he does seem to be off based on a credible source. Not set on it and doesn't hate Everton or the fans or anything but there was tangible interest from Barca pre Christmas and now there's the Pep factor at City. He's been learning Spanish for a good few months as well - which in fairness to me just indicates a smart lad who is preparing himself as best as he can.

However, Rom is different.

22, bagged 25 this season now.

Yes, it's ridiculous that we could potentially finish with the golden boot winner and finish bottom half. A sad indictment of the defence or, more specifically, the defensive system in place for the majority of league games, as well as the mentality of the side.

There's still improvements to be made in his game though and it's well-publicised he wants to be in the Prem next term.

PSG seem the big foreign club likely to come in for him, but would he develop solely by playing in the CL? I'm not sure. That'd be a decision he'd have to make.

I can't see Real coming calling just yet (haven't they got a transfer ban or is that just Atletico?), though Bayern could be a possibility. Barca is a no go.

They're the foreign sides who could afford him, IMO.

City, I'm not so sure. He'd go to work under Pep but it depends on how City line up. If they stay with one striker then it has to be Aguero, and Rom isn't suited to being a wide man in a (variation of) a 4-3-3 either.

United. Well I could certainly see it, though again that would indicate to me Rooney would make way. And, if they don't get CL...

Arsenal. In so many ways, as much as it pains me to say it, this would be the right move for him and for that rabble. But will Arsene spend the (surely, has to be) £60mil+ that we should be demanding for him at the least?

Chelsea. Well, they can imagine all they like about getting it back but the fact remains they're a club that requires a huge rebuild and surely from Rom's point of view he's as good-off here as he would be there - as long as we get a new contract offered to him asap...

My view would be do all we can to keep him. £150k p/week (I don't think money is his motivator though it always helps, especially with the agent), and put in a £65mil buy-out clause for the summer windows starting 2017.

Get him to give us one more year and see where he can take us. It's a long-shot but it needs to be tried.

Also, offer Stones a new deal and if he takes it or not is up to him. Get Barkley signed up sharpish as well. Show these players that we're building something and that they're the key to it, at least in the short term.

If that means not signing another Carlos Kickaball then I can live with it, and we'll still get signings in whatever.

The little bit in there where there's still improvements to his game needed. That bit is spot on and that bit is the only reason he may personally think one more season with us will be good for him and us.

Does he

A) stick with us and assure himself of another 40 odd games to iron out any small faults with his game or

B) realise those small issues can only be improved upon by playing in the CL or being at the top end of the table challenging for the title.

The little bit in there where there's still improvements to his game needed. That bit is spot on and that bit is the only reason he may personally think one more season with us will be good for him and us.

Does he

A) stick with us and assure himself of another 40 odd games to iron out any small faults with his game or

B) realise those small issues can only be improved upon by playing in the CL or being at the top end of the table challenging for the title.

That's the thing mate, spot on.

We need to be going all-out on point A.

As I said, £150k per/week on point A!!!

He's 23 in May. From the players' perspective I'm sure his agent will be saying not to sign anything before the Euros but what we should be doing is giving him an offer that would be mental to turn down.

All we need is that one more year to see where he can take us. He can earn whatever he would at a CL club and be guaranteed to be the main man. He wants to be first choice and he wants to be in the Prem. He's said that.

He's got plenty of time in his side. If he leaves at the age of 24 then we're selling a player who's in his prime.

Spurs got one more season out of Bale and he took them to the verge of the CL.

We can get Rom to take us into it, hopefully.

How long does he have left on his contract? If we keep him for two more seasons we'll have done well. But if his contract is up in that time it comes down to business at the right time for the right price. Please note that in no way do I want him to leave.

Three years left come June mate.

I think there are three totally valid reasons for staying at Everton:

(i) we can totally satisfy Lukaku's ego, in terms of tactics, playing to his style, and he being the most important player on the pitch.

(ii) As you state, continue his development and iron out further weaknesses and minor deficiencies - something Martinez and the coaches have proven capable of doing

(iii) whilst no guarantees, a higher than previous chance of silverware and team success.

Of the three I feel #1 is the most significant.

So its entirely feasible we can keep him for at least one more season, possibly two before 'having' to sell. Of course, it can be troublesome if the player expresses a wish to go, but not impossible to keep him until we're ready/forced to sell.

True.

However, he's now scored 45 goals since he signed for us in summer 2014. Likelihood is he could break the 30 mark by May.

We need to get him offered a new deal before the Euros, and put a huge lump on top of his current (£75k p/week) wages.

(i) we can totally satisfy Lukaku's ego, in terms of tactics, playing to his style, and he being the most important player on the pitch.

(ii) As you state, continue his development and iron out further weaknesses and minor deficiencies - something Martinez and the coaches have proven capable of doing

(iii) whilst no guarantees, a higher than previous chance of silverware and team success.

Spot on.

And we could do with showing we're serious about it by offering him an increased deal. Even if it's just the wage rise and a year extension, with a buy-out.

See where he can take us...

The pitch should be easy...

Modern day football that Esk when out of all the option probably number 1 would be important to the player lol True though, he's a big fish in a small pond (a pond that is about to expand into a giant lake I hasten to add!! ) and he's in an environment where he's comfortable.

I still can't see the likes of Barca, Madrid going for him, I don't think he's at that level yet. Not too sure about the likes of Bayern, perhaps PSG if he wants to play in a one horse race league maybe.

I've always thought Utd tbh but then I look at the kip of them and with some astute signings by us this summer and Bobby getting to grips with defensive tactics if he's still here, I expect us to over take them as they need a huge rehaul in the playing squad.

It will certainly be a roller coaster of emotions that's for sure come this summer, as always as an Evertonian.

Or

Moshiri has a quiet word in his ear and gets him to sign an extension which is then confirmed in the next few weeks. What a boost that will be.

Onwards and upwards!!

Modern day football that Esk when out of all the option probably number 1 would be important to the player lol True though, he's a big fish in a small pond (a pond that is about to expand into a giant lake I hasten to add!! ) and he's in an environment where he's comfortable.

I still can't see the likes of Barca, Madrid going for him, I don't think he's at that level yet. Not too sure about the likes of Bayern, perhaps PSG if he wants to play in a one horse race league maybe.

I've always thought Utd tbh but then I look at the kip of them and with some astute signings by us this summer and Bobby getting to grips with defensive tactics if he's still here, I expect us to over take them as they need a huge rehaul in the playing squad.

It will certainly be a roller coaster of emotions that's for sure come this summer, as always as an Evertonian.

Or

Moshiri has a quiet word in his ear and gets him to sign an extension which is then confirmed in the next few weeks. What a boost that will be.

Onwards and upwards!!

Yep.

Honestly I'd just do all we can to keep him. Get him and Ross signed up and Stones offered a new deal.

If Stones doesn't accept then we'll sell and get £40mil for him.

True.

However, he's now scored 45 goals since he signed for us in summer 2014. Likelihood is he could break the 30 mark by May.

We need to get him offered a new deal before the Euros, and put a huge lump on top of his current (£75k p/week) wages.

It would be a massive sign of intent from the club and Moshiri if we tied him down to a new long term contract BEFORE the Euro's in my opinion - tells Europe to keep their hands off and sit back and watch him.

True.

This makes perfect sense. My one worry with this is that he may refuse the deal and if so we're in a difficult position (or back to square one). But, its sound thinking.

Yep.

Honestly I'd just do all we can to keep him. Get him and Ross signed up and Stones offered a new deal.

If Stones doesn't accept then we'll sell and get £40mil for him.

I think Ross is here for the long term mate, he will achieve all that he wants to with us imo. He's the one I've never been worried about leaving ( not because he's not good enough ), there's something about him that makes me feel he believes he has a sense of duty to ensure we are successful and he has a chance to make a real name for himself, the type of name we talk about when mentioning Southall, Ratcliffe, Sharp etc proper Everton heroes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back